Noob alert: Swap out 27.5s to 26s on my dual-susp OK?

BearESmith

1 mW
Hey, I got a dumb noob question from an ancient graybeard.

I'm old, my spine is absolutely shot, so I wanted a dual suspension bike to e-convert. The conversion is not the issue, BTDT, on other rigs.

HOWEVER.....I bought a dual-suspension downhill bike that was run hard and put away wet, so to speak, so I got a decent price. Not a biggie, as the running gear is being replaced.

But the bugger is way too tall for me, even with all the adjustments adjusted. In addition to going to a less aggressive tire (I ride rail trails almost exclusively so the knobbies are a waste and a buzzing annoyance, I'll probably switch to Marathon Pluses) I was thinking of dropping to a 26" rim from the 27.5". I've already got a proper 26" wheel set, in comparable widths, so I'm not seeing potential problems.

I am aware that this might compromise cornering lean angle a bit, but not a serious impact on MY riding style, and as stated before, I'm not going stump-jumping, at least not in this lifetime.

If anybody sees issues, give me a shout before I pull the trigger on this move. Every time I twist a wrench causes pain, so I budget my pain wisely when possible.

Gracias, in advance.

Shouldn't be a problem, but may only provide 1/2 inch more clearance since, AFAIK, the difference in outside diameter between a 26" wheel (and tire) and a 27.5 is only an inch.

Depends on the bubble of the tire, how wide the tire is.
Its not much of a difference for casual, slow speed riding but just get your handlebar where you want it, I am currently doing 26 x 2 front and 700x34 rear.

Not so exotic as you think, it's called a Mullet. Popularly 29F/27.5R.
https://gearjunkie.com/biking/what-is-mullet-bike

How much taller is the "way too tall" bike for you? Depending, you may not be able to make it safe or comfortable for you even if you experiment w/ 24" rear wheel. Standover height is non-negotiable, especially for a male. The rest can usually be accomodated, with different crankarms, stem, handlebars, etc.

It can be frustrating, searching for a used bike that checks all the boxes for an ebike conversion. Frame size, tire clearance, triangle space, dropout compatability, frame material, price, etc. Notice I put frame size at the top of the list. It is make or break for the serious cyclist.

I have never seen the need for a “29er”, or even 27.5” wheels over the 26” “standard” mtb set up, for the typical cyclist.
Anything bigger just adds weight and cost + makes things more difficult if you want to transport in a station wagon or similar.
Ditto the fad for “through axle” designs.....just more complication, cost and difficulty when fixing punctures or maintenance

Would another 0.75 inches of lowering ( half the diameter reduction in wheel size ) really do the trick?
or do you have other fitment challenges on this bike too? ( too big for you.. )

I imagine you'll get away with a wheel swap just fine, if the bike has disc brakes on both sides. however, you may also want a tad shorter cranks to go along with the reduction.

Measure your bb height from the ground and if you are above 355mm then you should be fine going to 26 » wheels. If your bike is at 340mm or lower then I would think twice. At bottom out the pedals might touch the ground if it is a full DH bike.

What bike is it?

neptronix said:
Would another 0.75 inches of lowering ( half the diameter reduction in wheel size ) really do the trick?

Assuming otherwise identical rims and tires, the ride height difference is 12.5mm (1/2 inch).

I think that won't make the difference, and reducing suspension travel might be the best way to lower standover height.

I don't know much about what's available in 24" wheels, but as far as lowering the bike, that might be worth looking in to?

If you already have the 26” rims, give them a try and see what it feels like.
If its a DH frame, the stand over should not be an issue, but can you get the seat set at a comfortable height for you ?
If its not the solution, sell it and find a smaller frame. !

Back