Another torque arm question,

ynot

100 W
So on my newly installed 250/350 watt front wheel hub motor, there is simply no room for any torque arm on the spindle, I even milled one of the expensive locking nuts down to get the spindle end flush with the out end of the nut, milled a washer thinner for more clearance. Had to move the fender wire to a new location, there aint no room in the in.
So what price
welding a socket (19 MM) onto a steel bar 0.125" x 1" about 6" long clamped to the aluminum fork to hold the wheel nuts.
Sockets cut down on the back so that the bars lie flat along the forks.
The positives as I see it.
the nuts wont ever losen, tho' you would not need to carry a wheel nut wrench, just undo the clamps.
The spindle would be held from spinning both by the drop outs and by the sockets.
Low cost, simple design and neat looking.
Note, am new to ebikes and want to learn, but do not want to be a load or outstay my welcome.
Thank you.

ynot said:
So on my newly installed 250/350 watt front wheel hub motor, there is simply no room for any torque arm on the spindle, I even milled one of the expensive locking nuts down to get the spindle end flush with the out end of the nut, milled a washer thinner for more clearance. Had to move the fender wire to a new location, there aint no room in the in.
So what price
welding a socket (19 MM) onto a steel bar 0.125" x 1" about 6" long clamped to the aluminum fork to hold the wheel nuts.
Sockets cut down on the back so that the bars lie flat along the forks.
The positives as I see it.
the nuts wont ever losen, tho' you would not need to carry a wheel nut wrench, just undo the clamps.
The spindle would be held from spinning both by the drop outs and by the sockets.
Low cost, simple design and neat looking.
Note, am new to ebikes and want to learn, but do not want to be a load or outstay my welcome.
Thank you.
The reason to have torque arms isn't to keep the axle nuts tight, but the nuts will stay tight, if the torque arms are doing their job. Just keeping the nuts tight won't keep the axle from twisting, which is what will damage the dropouts. Maybe if you provide some photos, there may be some other ideas that folks can suggest.

I believe the only alternative would be clamping dropouts which would be quite a bit more work,
Am thinking that for a low watt motor, if the nuts are held in place in the x-y plane plus their friction on the dropouts they would be pretty good at stopping the spindle moving.

Then just tighten them down, mark their location with a magic marker and ride it for a few weeks to see if there's any movement. Might not even be an issue. Checking the nuts on is part of normal maintenance with a hub motor, even if you have torque arms.

Back