Adapt belt drive kit for 80cc motorized bike to vevor electric motor.

Title says a lot.
I'm new, I have a vevor motor with about 1" of shaft poking out and will be attempting to successfully adapt a aluminum belt drive sprocket (for 66-80 cc motorized bike) to the 8-10 mm steel shaft. Any ideas?

The tooth profile for a belt sprocket has to be very precise. I would look for an off-the-shelf sprocket with the right number of teeth and work on making it fit your shaft. For smaller sprockets, like on the motor, steel will last much longer than aluminum. Aluminum is OK for the larger sprockets with more teeth.

So you want to put the little pulley from the belt kit that's meant for a gas motor onto the vevor motor? What's the vevor motor shaft diameter? Seems trivial, you need to order a bushing (or 3d print one). Unless the pulley is too small, then you need to drill it larger or turn down your vevor motor shaft, or get a coupler of some sort.

Ugothakd said:
So you want to put the little pulley from the belt kit that's meant for a gas motor onto the vevor motor? What's the vevor motor shaft diameter? Seems trivial, you need to order a bushing (or 3d print one). Unless the pulley is too small, then you need to drill it larger or turn down your vevor motor shaft, or get a coupler of some sort.

Yes I have both already

The aluminum sprocket has 1 keyway, I'm duplicating it 180degrees across. It will have two. Then I will cut a piece for steel the correct OD to fit the keyway ID.
I will also cut the motor shaft straight down the middle to for the keyway and weld on. Then I may pressfir the aluminum shaft to it and mayyybeee epoxy it in..that main problem is the motor shaft is about 8mm-9mm and is completely smooth.

Will try and see how it works. Otherwise I may try a hub motor?
I'd be looking for something 10" that will be around 30mph and be 2-3000w. I need to also figure out if my knockoff Milwaukee batteries will work to power this thing. If this attempt fails, I might consider getting a used super 73 ish thing and modding for more power?

Mainly trying to build some alternative transpor for a 16-19mi round trip to work... I'm 200lbs.

Brent 20infullsus 1800w said:
Ugothakd said:

Yes I have both already

The aluminum sprocket has 1 keyway, I'm duplicating it 180degrees across. It will have two. Then I will cut a piece for steel the correct OD to fit the keyway ID.
I will also cut the motor shaft straight down the middle to for the keyway and weld on. Then I may pressfir the aluminum shaft to it and mayyybeee epoxy it in..that main problem is the motor shaft is about 8mm-9mm and is completely smooth.

Will try and see how it works. Otherwise I may try a hub motor?
I'd be looking for something 10" that will be around 30mph and be 2-3000w. I need to also figure out if my knockoff Milwaukee batteries will work to power this thing. If this attempt fails, I might consider getting a used super 73 ish thing and modding for more power?

Mainly trying to build some alternative transpor for a 16-19mi round trip to work... I'm 200lbs.

I didn't realize a keyway was the only option... yikes. You could try to drill/tap the pulley for a set screw. I would be mindful of modifying that shaft, they are usually a pain to swap. You could try getting the correct size bushing (8-9mm ID, 1" OD?) and press fitting everything with a torch. I can't imagine any of these components will hold a weld but I'm not a welder.

You don't need to weld the keyway, if you slot it down the middle you can install the key and it should stay somewhat secure I think?

resurrecting an old thread here, but can somebody tell me what the actual diameter is on these motors? I'd like to order a pulley and the motor from two separate places at the same time. Thank you.

If you’re referring to unite my10xx series then it’s 9.5mm, from memory, stepped down from 12 or 12.5mm.

It’s soft metal. I’ve ground them, filed them, drilled through. They’re easy to adapt. 2x set screws would be easiest for fitting pulleys.

For confirmation of the measurement, that scooterparts online store would be worth checking.

Back