Mid-drive mounting for multiple motors

Robster

100 µW
I'm in the process of putting together a rear triangle for a tadpole type trike.
I am wondering if there is a mounting system out there that allows to try out different types of motors in a mid-drive configuration.
Eg: Using a a hub motor in a mid-drive configuration but then for different purposes, replace it with a Surron type motor.
I just wanted to get a read on this before I go down a long & unnecessary path. This is for a record attempt type vehicle and different motor types will allow for different classifications.
Thanks,
Robster

Because the motors listed require completely different mounting brackets, there arent' any systems that could handle both of them.

There have been some, like the Urban Commuter M-Drive system, that would have allowed you to use various standard hubmotors in the same mount, but AFAIK it hasn't been available for a while. This is a thread for a build using a version of them.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55317
BDMDE-2[1].jpg
BDMDE-1[1].jpg

You *could* use a system like that to directly mount a hubmotor, and then indirectly mount a non-hub to it using another mounting bracket that bolts to where the hubmotor went (you'd need longer chain to the non-hub motor since it'd be farther away).

Something else to consider before just trying different motors is to use the motor simulator at http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator ; it not only simulates ones already listed there, but can simulate any motor that you have the relevant information for. It may save you some time and work.

Thanks, this makes sense.
I think what I need to do is create removable mounts for each type. This was originally setup for a Lynch motor.
IMG_1966.jpg

Robster said:
Thanks, this makes sense.
I think what I need to do is create removable mounts for each type. This was originally setup for a Lynch motor.
IMG_1966.jpg
It won't be just one for each type...the hubmotor has a "standard" mounting in that it's a flatted axle so you can use pinching/clamping "dropouts" in the mount for those, and as long as the motors have the same axle shoulder width and the same distance from center for the drive sprocket (presumably to be placed on the disc rotor mount?), you can put any hubmotor on the same mount. (given the same axle size, same or less outer motor diameter, etc).

But the non-hubmotors will each have different diameters, lengths, mounting methods, distnace from face to sprocket, etc. So you will need a different mount for each one, and each will have at least a slightly different chain path to the wheel.

If you have the space in the frame to use the hubmotor mount (or part of it that holds any freewheels, chain guides, etc) to bolt the non-hubmotor mount to, and use that as a "relay" for the chain, it could save you some work on certain setups.

An extra chain loop will decrease efficiency a couple percent, but since you'd be taking that out once finalizing the system you'd get that efficiency boost in the final version, and you could still "evenly" compare the systems if the hubs have the same "loop" (just shorter).

Ther'es probably even better ways to do this kind of thing; this is just all I can think of in a few minutes, and without knowing exactly what you're trying to achieve and how.

Welp, that kind of confirms it. I should select the 2-3 motors first then create the necessary mounts.
I'm planning on a 1hp hub motor and then switch to 1 or 2 larger motors depending on the intention.
I'm hoping this vehicle will have the aerodynamic potential to set some distance/efficiency & speed records.

Thank you very much!

Back