Kona Stinky Fitz 2010

PRW

100 kW
I picked up this bike last week - and only noted the black bar from the seat post to the drop-out when I was looking a bit closer at the drop-outs.

Is this some sort of stabiliser bar?

20220414_081444.jpg

I think its supposed to remove any effect of braking on the suspension. Otherwise the force is applied to one of the two linkages.

E-HP said:
I think its supposed to remove any effect of braking on the suspension. Otherwise the force is applied to one of the two linkages.

Yup. Some of them came with these and it was a popular mod for the ones that didn’t. Any single pivot rear suspension design where the rear wheel moves in an arc and not a more vertical path like some other types can experience “brake jack” which is when the rear suspension stiffens when the rear brake is applied because the reaction force on the caliper/swingarm is opposite the suspension travel path. The Stinky is a 4-bar linkage design which is essentially a single pivot lower swingarm (dictating travel path) with the upper linkages just giving a variable rate shock leverage ratio. The fully-floating caliper means that the braking force doesn’t affect the suspension. Some high-performance motorcycles do the same thing. Good bike to convert, you going with a mid-drive or hub?

ben2401 said:
E-HP said:

Yup. Some of them came with these and it was a popular mod for the ones that didn’t. Any single pivot rear suspension design where the rear wheel moves in an arc and not a more vertical path like some other types can experience “brake jack” which is when the rear suspension stiffens when the rear brake is applied because the reaction force on the caliper/swingarm is opposite the suspension travel path. The Stinky is a 4-bar linkage design which is essentially a single pivot lower swingarm (dictating travel path) with the upper linkages just giving a variable rate shock leverage ratio. The fully-floating caliper means that the braking force doesn’t affect the suspension. Some high-performance motorcycles do the same thing. Good bike to convert, you going with a mid-drive or hub?

Thanks for the detailed explanation -it's all new to me! I am planning a BBSHD with a Phaserunner

Back