Buck converter

PlanetDad

100 mW
Hello.

I'm using a buck converter to take my 72v pack to 12v. Shipped it has a jumper on the ACC keeping it always on.

Will a 12v switch handle that ok?

PlanetDad said:
Hello.

I'm using a buck converter to take my 72v pack to 12v. Shipped it has a jumper on the ACC keeping it always on.

Will a 12v switch handle that ok?

Handle what ok? (your question doesn't have enough detail to answer)

Some possibly useful information regarding switches:

A switch on the 12v side only has to handle 12v..but it has to handle the full current draw of all devices connected to it.

A switch on the 72v side has to handle the full voltage of a fully charged battery source...but it only has to handle the max current draw of the converter (and if it's significant, the inrush current on the input capacitors).

If a switch isn't rated for the full voltage it will see, arcing during connect/disconnect can damage the contacts, weld them together (making it unswitchable) or even start a fire.

If a switch isn't rated for the full current it will see, heating during operation can distort or melt the casing, damage the contacts, etc. If the heating distorts the case enough to prevent full mating of contacts, you can then get arcing (see above).

If it's like the one I have, yes, a 12v switch will work. It's actually taking full pack voltage, but the current is so low that the contacts will be fine.

Back