Tektro E-Comp and MT5-E Brake System Needs Better Handles

Fantom

1 µW
So I have a BBSHD on a Motobecane Fantom which had a Tektro E-Comp dual piston brake setup for a while and I decided I needed a quad pad system for a little better braking after an accident. I went with a Magura MT5-E but after a few months, and a replacement handle later, I decided they were just crap, (along with Magura USA's customer support). I really want a brake set with built in cut-offs, I never liked that magnet solution when I had them, and failing to find a pair of Tektro's BBSHD specific quad-pad brakes I decided to try using the Tektro handles with the Magura calipers and lo and behold they work great together except for one little hitch. Just like MT5-Es the reach on the E-Comps are adjustable but not the bite point. And just like when I was running the MT5-Es I need to keep the reach almost fully extended for the brakes to be effective and not hit the handlebars, and my hands are just not that big thus delaying my braking sometimes.

So my question to the good folks here at Endless Sphere are what can I do to the handles? Can I replace the handles on a Tektro Auriga E-Comp? Is there a 2 or 3 finger blade that works with the Auriga E-Comp so I can keep the travel length but shorten the reach? Is it possible to get someone or a company to mod the handles if needed? I guess I could get a new set of calipers but I've sunk a quite a bit of cash into the Magura's and the brakes work great with the exception of me needing to reach for them. So if anyone has any suggestions, please help a fellow traveler out.

Thanx and Safe Riding Everyone!

I should start by saying that I don't know anything about the E-Comp levers. But, I can tell you that lots of people swear by the "shigura' setup which is a shimano XT or Saint lever with the Magura MT series caliper. Its a pretty well documented setup and a quick google search will return you lots of parts lists and instructions. The Shimano levers have bite point adjustment like you are looking for.

Sadly you will lose the integral lever brake switch but there are some solutions. I believe you can get an inline pressure switch to actuate the electrical brake cutoff. You can also use a hall sensor and a magnet or rig up a small tactile switch. You could also try the tripwire from Ebikes.ca
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/tripwire.html

Fantom said:
I decided I needed a quad pad system for a little better braking after an accident.

You took the wrong lesson. Any brake that can tip your bike up will give you the shortest braking your skills can provide. If your original brakes couldn't provide that much stopping torque, it's probably because the pads were contaminated (so getting another brake with the same basic problem won't help in the long run).

If what you need is a different brake lever shape or feel or response, then use a brake where those things are easily configurable... which would be a cable operated brake. I suggest Avid Speed Dial levers with Avid BB7 or TRP Spyke calipers, with slick stainless cables and compressionless housing if that helps get you the feel you're looking for.

Back