Possible to add Pedal assist to 100a Sabvotron controller?

Phifty

1 mW
Just upgraded my bike to a 72v 3000w motor with a 100a Sabvotron controller. The speed and power is great for the throttle has to offer. I feel like this is a dumb question; but I was wondering if it is possible to also add a pedal assist to the controller? And if so does it require a special cord or any splicing of the sort?

Are you looking to limit the speed and power of the system? Using PAS isn't going to do that.

Or are you looking for better control over the power and speed you have, while still being able to go the full speed, and using the full acceleration power? PAS, as a rule, doesn't provide that. You'd need to tune the controller using it's software and setup program to respond to your throttle the way you want it to.

Usually this is via USB-serial cable from a computer; some controllers have bluetooth and can be setup via mobile devices (but may not have all the same settings available as in the computer-based program...or may have more settings available via mobile than computer). (the same method is used to limit speed or power).

Also, I don't think any "sabvoton" (of which, based on ES posts over the years, there are more than one manufacturer that don't make the same actual products but use the same "brand name") has a PAS input, since the typical PAS input is just on/off, so all you get is either full power or no power, at whatever assist level you chose on the display.

THere *are* controllers with PAS systems that do provide variable assist, some of them via cadence and some via torque, but to get those you'd have to change to those controllers, all of which are lower power than what you have there.

To add PAS to any controller that you want, you can use Grin Tech's Cycle Analyst v3 (CAv3), which is how I control my SB Cruiser's 2WD motor system via cadence control.
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html
You can also limit power, speed, etc via the CA, if you like, and it can also monitor your battery usage, etc. (useful for troubleshooting).

I second the CA3.
I have used the CA3 on nearly all my builds for the passed 15 years.
My present system uses a Sabvoton 96120 (from QS Motors) and with the CA3 I have a multitude of fine tuning I can do.
The PAS can be dialled in to behave how you want, independent to how the throttle works.
While it is not a controller programmer, it offers a whole lot of detail.
If you go this route, just note the newer CA3 uses a 10v PAS signal. (Fitting a 5v PAS is still possible, just needs a bit of wiring work).
For me I used the Grin tech mini 24magnet PAS and it is perfect.

amberwolf said:
Are you looking to limit the speed and power of the system? Using PAS isn't going to do that.

Or are you looking for better control over the power and speed you have, while still being able to go the full speed, and using the full acceleration power? PAS, as a rule, doesn't provide that. You'd need to tune the controller using it's software and setup program to respond to your throttle the way you want it to.

Usually this is via USB-serial cable from a computer; some controllers have bluetooth and can be setup via mobile devices (but may not have all the same settings available as in the computer-based program...or may have more settings available via mobile than computer). (the same method is used to limit speed or power).

Also, I don't think any "sabvoton" (of which, based on ES posts over the years, there are more than one manufacturer that don't make the same actual products but use the same "brand name") has a PAS input, since the typical PAS input is just on/off, so all you get is either full power or no power, at whatever assist level you chose on the display.

THere *are* controllers with PAS systems that do provide variable assist, some of them via cadence and some via torque, but to get those you'd have to change to those controllers, all of which are lower power than what you have there.

To add PAS to any controller that you want, you can use Grin Tech's Cycle Analyst v3 (CAv3), which is how I control my SB Cruiser's 2WD motor system via cadence control.
https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-analyst-3.html
You can also limit power, speed, etc via the CA, if you like, and it can also monitor your battery usage, etc. (useful for troubleshooting).

Thanks for the info! This is a lot! To answer your question I was hoping to use pedal assist as a way to be more conservative with my battery usage. Im slowly understand how the MQCON work and what each parameter value does to controllers output; I’m not the best with most of the electricity jargon on there so it really has just been changing numbers and testing it.

Santacruz said:
I second the CA3.
I have used the CA3 on nearly all my builds for the passed 15 years.
My present system uses a Sabvoton 96120 (from QS Motors) and with the CA3 I have a multitude of fine tuning I can do.
The PAS can be dialled in to behave how you want, independent to how the throttle works.
While it is not a controller programmer, it offers a whole lot of detail.
If you go this route, just note the newer CA3 uses a 10v PAS signal. (Fitting a 5v PAS is still possible, just needs a bit of wiring work).
For me I used the Grin tech mini 24magnet PAS and it is perfect.

I’ve only heard good things about grin techs products. I’m quite new to fiddling with e-bikes; your input is much appreciated

Back