Should derailleur protector be installed on an e-bike?

tmho

1 kW
Attached is a common derailleur protector in the market. It is supposed to be used to protect the rear derailleur in case the bike falls onto the side of the rear derailleur. Should it be used?derailleur protector.jpg

Actually, the derailleur hanger is already protecting the derailleur. When the bike falls on the derailleur side, the hanger will bend to avoid damage to the derailleur. Am I correct? If I am correct, is the derailleur protector providing another level of protection to the derailleur and/or the hanger? If the derailleur protector is used on an e-bike (which is usually heavier than a normal bike) and fall the derailleur side, will it cause the bike frame to bend or deform at the drop out ?

Lay the bike on its side and look see if the derailleur contacts?

Might help if you sideswipe a high curb.

tmho said:
Attached is a common derailleur protector in the market. It is supposed to be used to protect the rear derailleur in case the bike falls onto the side of the rear derailleur. Should it be used?derailleur protector.jpg

I'd say if you use one on a normal bike and feel it does something for you, then go for it.

I've crashed my ebike a few times, landing on both sides, bent the rear rack, handlebars, brake levers, and even had a weird crash when the bike landed just right so a big rock scraped the Cycle Analyst screen, and that was tucked in between my bars, so a freak occurrence, but never had anything happen to my derailleur.

I never had an issue doing hardcore mountain biking and I've never seen a mountain bike offroad with a derailleur protector; your experience may vary. On the bike paths, I mainly see them on Walmart bikes, so perhaps those riders are more cautious . My priorities are me and then my battery; so derailleur doesn't make it on the list.

183faf36-2653-4ed1-9370-d0515215830f.36d73954012db724037c7c0785533d61.jpeg

They might help in some situations . I see no reason to not to install when there is possibility but in my bikes I have no place to screw this firmly . in many occasions it might protect derailleur from branches rocks or even tall grass . no doubt for that .

You want to protect your derailleur hanger. It'll either damage the frame, or cost $$$. You can only bend them so many times. Then "snap."

That said, I've never needed one, and don't use them.

Colin

I think it's a strong hint that you only ever see these things on children's bikes and cheap horrible bikes from department stores and online sellers.

I have used them to protect wires when they emerge from the end of a hub motor axle.

Chalo said:
I have used them to protect wires when they emerge from the end of a hub motor axle.
OK, that changes my opinion for that reason, and certain setups, and it can be used on the non-derailleur side too. :thumb:

ColinB said:
You want to protect your derailleur hanger. It'll either damage the frame, or cost $$$

Am I missing something or does this cage not hang on the derailleur hanger but on the axle? Which should be very beefy in an electric hub motor.

I had mine off, my derailleur hanger bent, took weeks of minor adjustments to fix the chain coming off and still be able to hit all my gears. Unless you have those super expensive Park tools to get the derailleur just right, I'd use it. The frame is not nearly so delicate.

Bent out away from the wheel. Probably due to propping bike up on things to test unloaded wheel speed, or shoving bike in back of car for occasional road trips. I have a steel frame, so not worried about the frame at all.

Back