Cyclone 3000 version 2.0

Domhelp

100 mW
I really enjoyed my first mid drive ebike but because I mainly used it off road the suspension was not up to the job. I bought a Devinci Ollie downhill, not sure of the year, and transfered my components over. It has 210mm rear travel and 185mm front travel. Now I've got the suspension I need. With my previous bike I would have get off the seat most of the time and use my legs as shock absorbers but with this bike I float over these same bumps.
I still get off the seat sometimes and the seat I am using really helps. With a regular bike seat when your on the pedals, one forward and one back, you lose your connection to the bike. With this seat you can rest the back of your legs on the front edge of the seat and stay connected. I used this seat on my previous bike and it made all the difference. I was not able to properly control the bike off road until I installed this seat. I added the rising center pad for additional grab for my legs while off the seat. If you pedal a lot, which I never do, you may not like this seat. But for me it makes the bike comfortable and maneuverable.
Ideally I would like to get a stick shape battery but this battery will do for now.

Attachments

• 20200216_133508_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200216_133508_copy_1008x756.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 640
  • 20200127_122554_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200127_122554_copy_1008x756.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 640
  • 20200127_122116_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200127_122116_copy_1008x756.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 640
  • 20200216_140747_copy_1008x756.jpg
    20200216_140747_copy_1008x756.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 639
Those kits are poorly designed with flexing, a heavy crank sprocket, very heavy outdated bottom bracket, bad crank freewheel and bad freewheel on the motor sprocket, and very heavy motor with minimal power handling capacity, and a chain tensioner that...well you know. The bicycle drive chainring is also not thick-thin which is unfortunate and hurts chain retention. It is pretty quiet. I've killed 5 or 6 of the motors. The cyclone was a years long nightmare in my quest for a fun mountain bike. God those things suck.

You will enjoy the CYC x1 pro a lot more. It's the same thing but much lighter, much better engineered, more powerful, more reliable. Public service announcement for the crappy and uncompetitive performance bolt-on middrive market.

I was expecting this motor package from Luna to be a nightmare but 1000km later that has not been my experience. I added additional support to the motor which you can look up in my previous thread. Motor flexing has not been a problem. The tensioner needs periodic adjustment /tweaking to keep the chain aligned correctly. My sprockets, chains, crank and free wheel are still in good shape. I know that there is better but I don't regret the purchase. For me its doing the job just fine but it does require periodic maintenance. I think that if your going to try and push out more power than 3kw then it would not hold up for long.

Nice 2.0 build, looks like a solid setup. Glad to see you are enjoying the remaining snow. For what it's worth, I'v been having success with my Cyclone setup too. As you say; it needs a bit of maintenance/checks from time to time but it's still running strong.

The cyclone is an excellent kit for the price if you get it dialed and have a good attachment method.

Some people aren't big fans, it happens, I am not a fan of hubs myself, that's life.

pwd said:
Nice 2.0 build, looks like a solid setup. Glad to see you are enjoying the remaining snow. For what it's worth, I'm been having success with my Cyclone setup too. As you say; it needs a bit of maintenance/checks from time to time but it's still running strong.

Glad to see that you took the plunge and that you are enjoying it. :thumb:

Back