Help me build e-bike (mtb)

E-HP said:
So you decided to go with rim brakes?
Which rim brakes? Think I have V-brakes. :roll:
There is no room for ebrakes from kit, so I mean buy sensors for e-beakes, separated.

Remove the wheel from the bike to be sure. Here's a guide on how to tell them apart.
Yes, I will try tonight.

Smurf2 said:
E-HP said:
So you decided to go with rim brakes?
Which rim brakes? Think I have V-brakes. :roll:
There is no room for ebrakes from kit, so I mean buy sensors for e-beakes, separated.

Remove the wheel from the bike to be sure. Here's a guide on how to tell them apart.
Yes, I will try tonight.
v-brakes are rim brakes, like cantilever or side pulls. Your first bike had disc brakes.

Ok, it seems a Freewheel.
On my picture blue and red is rotate together.

From the video
https://youtu.be/iTJ3taJHOn8
if forward to 1:27min, it seems same part like mine.
(4 splines rotate with ring, but not from inside).

Do you tink so and are you sure?
I can upload video easy.

So, if you confirm that is Freewheel, do I stay on Freewheel(and make quick order) or better buy a Caseette?

Attachments

• 20220703_214155.jpg
    20220703_214155.jpg
    800.8 KB · Views: 629
It's definitely a freewheel. It definitely will not fit on a freewheel hub motor unless you make some changes.

If you want to make this easy for yourself, get a cassette hub motor and a new 8 speed cassette to go on it.

Chalo said:
Also, you'll need to dish the wheel to compensate for the offset you add at the axle

"Add some right side axle spacing..", ok, I can.
But, "dish the wheel", how? I am not sure I can do that. :roll:

Chalo said:
It's definitely a freewheel. It definitely will not fit on a freewheel hub motor unless you make some changes.

If you want to make this easy for yourself, get a cassette hub motor and a new 8 speed cassette to go on it.
Yeah. Can I from China ? 🤣
I will look price.
Which cassete must looking for? How many speed?

Smurf2 said:
Chalo said:
Also, you'll need to dish the wheel to compensate for the offset you add at the axle

"Add some right side axle spacing..", ok, I can.
But, "dish the wheel", how? I am not sure I can do that. :roll:

[youtube]FqeEBih8kx0[/youtube]

Chalo, I found many cassettes in local shops, they are very cheap, used, but new not expensive too much.
So, looking Shimano cassette 8 speed, or 7?
MyFW are 43mm, bit seller reccomend on HuB 41.8mm.

Smurf2 said:
Chalo, I found many cassettes in local shops, they are very cheap, used, but new not expensive too much.
So, looking Shimano cassette 8 speed, or 7?

Doesn't matter. You're on flat ground, so you'll never shift. I have hills and I never shift.

Not all the way flat.. It's flat to way on my job, city, but I living outside city, there are some hills.

It is important because I can bought too big?
Is all cassetes fits for all wheel lol ?

Seller reccoment 41.8 mm free space for cassette/freewheel.

Attachments

• 20220703_232037.jpg
    20220703_232037.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 604
Smurf2 said:
Not all the way flat.. It's flat to way on my job, city, but I living outside city, there are some hills.

It is important because I can bought too big?
Is all cassetes brand for all wheel lol ?

Seller reccoment 41.8 mm free space for cassette/freewheel.

With a hub motor, you need to maintain speed to keep the motor from overheating on hills. So, you'll use maybe 3 gears at the most, and none of the low ones. If you're getting a geared motor and plan to pedal without assist, then you may use more gears.

Get the 48v 1,000 watt. Just because the car can go 100mph you can still drive it at 55mph. Koolstop rim brakes work fine get the kit with build in cutoffs in the brake levers. I like a half twist throttle. 17ah battery or more the better. Less stress on cells longer life. Buy good cells important.
Sand mud and lugging motor makes heat . Heat no good. If you can't put your hand on it it's to hot.

E-HP said:
Doesn't matter. You're on flat ground, so you'll never shift. I have hills and I never shift.
So in that case, I can use freewheel or cassette kit, and without rear gears? :lol:

Ok, let say I use 5 gear cassette, and it is visible space left for 8 gears, so would be look ridiculous (Unused space) ? Can I prevent that gears move out then?

And if I buy to big cassette, it will apart and just remove 1 out?

If you want to pedal a 48t front and a 11t rear top gear and some more lower gears Is good. As you will to pedal. You will only pedal on starting and going up hill. It is still a bike. True the new rim and will need to be tighten Yes a must Do.

So, it not matters how much gear cassette buy, it will tighten with ring and cassette tool?

And if I buy 8 gears, and hub need only 7, then remove the biggest one gear, because smaller one must be close Lock Ring? Or not
The motor hub is just for 7 gears, right?

7 speed cassettes and freewheels have different spacing than 8 speed. 9 and 10 speed have their own spacing. If you switch to a different number on the wheel, you'll need to switch to a different shifter.

Chalo said:
...If you switch to a different number on the wheel, you'll need to switch to a different shifter.

First must determinate how many speeds my rear shifter can change.

My Freewheel is modified, and real question is what was original, and how much speed my shifter can change? From L_I_N_K I found, his bike have SunRace MFM-608, 13 - 32T, it seems freewheel.

But I can't shift on smallest cog. You see that there is very small gap between frame and cog. And if I shift chain with hand, it's touching frame (you see frame wear down). Not sure can I repair that only with adjust machine.

So, it seems I have rear 8 speed?(not shifter confirmed!).

All that I am asking to buy correct Cassette. I want to buy that will fit to my shifters, and I don't must buy new shifters :)

So, I not confirm with shifting on smallest cog that my shifters have 8 speed, and if my bike maybe 7 speed freewheel, and buy 8 speed cassette, that will be problem.

And how much maximum is motor hub speed cog, I must ask seller (Someone said 7). Know is 41.8mm.

Attachments

• pic_642022225520.jpg
    pic_642022225520.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 562
Your problem is that someone put a 7 speed wheel on your 8 speed bike, without changing the rear axle spacing enough to actually use all 8 speeds. But since you're switching to a different rear wheel, that doesn't really matter. Your rear derailleur will shift 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9 speeds. But your shifter will only work correctly with 8.

Screenshot_20220704-160912.png

Yes, you figure out a problem! That's it!
I think I shifting like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,_9,10,11,12,13,14,15,_16, etc
I waiting answer from seller how many cog can have on hub motor, then I will tell you.

In that condition I overpaid it? (117,85$) :roll:

E-HP said:
v-brakes are rim brakes, like cantilever or side pulls. Your first bike had disc brakes.

Yes, first try thought will buy this with disc, but no luck. Do you suggest me a upgrade discs? Can I continue with V brakes?

This is only sensor what i found, which have "clean" installation(without glue magnets). Please check, it can be work for me.
LINK1 or LINK2

Smurf2 said:
E-HP said:

Yes, first try thought will buy this with disc, but no luck. Do you suggest me a upgrade discs? Can I continue with V brakes?

Your frame doesn't support discs, so no suggestions, just an observation; seems like you thought about it already. :thumb:

I didn't. I did not search only bike with discs. I hope I found mtb carbon "D" frame(with more space inside), Shimano system, M size, 16inch, dicscs, and important to me "Color"! but I not found discs, you can't got all what you want always (except if someone cheat you like previous seller which sold cheap bike with discs someone else!😡).

Look this:

Attachments

• pic_66202201745.jpg
    pic_66202201745.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 523
Smurf2 said:
I didn't. I did not search only bike with discs. I hope I found mtb carbon "D" frame(with more space inside), Shimano system, M size, 16inch, dicscs, and important to me "Color"! but I not found discs, you can't got all what you want always (except if someone cheat you like previous seller which sold cheap bike with discs someone else!😡).

Not a big deal; personal preference. Chalo will tell you it's better to use rim brakes than discs.

E-HP said:
Smurf2 said:

Not a big deal; personal preference. Chalo will tell you it's better to use rim brakes than discs.

Depends on the application. If you use 3" or bigger tires, and ride in a slurry of grinding paste, then disc brakes are your thing for sure.

Ride on roads like most of us, in tolerable conditions like most of us, and a two foot disc rotor is better than a six inch inch disc rotor. Duh.

Ok, about cassettes, sellers respond me that I can install 8 cog. Is that possible?

I know that I not use all gears, but will be fit nice.

So, can I buy used 8 cog cassette?

EDIT: Also other seller for above cool sensor, told me that not work on rear hub, just for mid. :( So, I must buy sensor which glue to brake lever!

Back