Electrom1 Long Wheelbase Recumbent Light Electric Vehicle

Show off your E-bike creation here.
tigcross   100 W

100 W

Electrom1 Long Wheelbase Recumbent Light Electric Vehicle

Post by tigcross » May 23 2019 11:42am

Hi guys, here's a video update on the progress of the Electrom1.
the frame is a combination of Aluminum tubing and laser cut and bent plate.
Controller: Grin Phaserunner
Motor: Magic Pie 2 (and the new Grin Splined Gearmotor when it comes in)
top speed: 60 kph
range: 220 km with 2 72 volt 20 AH batteries

Warren   100 kW

100 kW

Re: Electrom1 Long Wheelbase Recumbent Light Electric Vehicle

Post by Warren » May 25 2019 9:51am

Thanks for the update. I keep imagining it with 4 kWh of battery, and a 6 kW scooter wheel back there. :-)

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Jun 17 2019 9:20am

That's a pretty cool generator idea, so that your pedaling speed can be independent from your road speed. I wonder how the efficiencies compare to the direct chain drive.
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!

ScooterMan101   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ScooterMan101 » Jun 20 2019 11:32am

Excellent,

When you get time after you get it ready for market ,
designing and installing outrigger wheels that deploy when coming to a stop so that you do not have to put your feet down would / will be a good option to buy .
that way you can install some sides and a top for the fall/winter/spring wet weather season.
My first conversion ... Sold

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71378&p=1077497&hil ... 1#p1077497

It's 2018 already, lets get some real , improved e-bike / e-velomobile / e-motorcycle designs .

ScooterMan101   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ScooterMan101 » Jul 04 2019 9:59am

Bump, to let readers of the original Electrom thread know about this new and improved version.

It's 2018 already, lets get some real , improved e-bike / e-velomobile / e-motorcycle designs .

ScooterMan101   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ScooterMan101 » Jul 20 2019 1:59pm

I have been watching to see if there are any updates in the last 2 months. are there any ?

When do you think you will have a rolling chassis for sale with wheels wind screen etc. ?

What does it weigh without the motor and batteries and controller ?

Not sure if you plan on selling a complete bike , or , If you would sell just a the rolling chassis or part of one like less the front fork , less the high handlebars , ( lower bars like on some recumbent's ) ?
( I do very much like the look of Grin's new Gmac , wondering how it would fare for the weight of the Electrom 1 for someone like me who wants to go up mountain passes ?
6- 9 miles long with 6% -10 % + grades , and if the 8T version would even work for those grades with the weight of the Electrom 1 as I would want to get the speed of a 8T motor . )

I like the great idea of using the pedals to spin the small generator . Love your putting on that to Electrom 1 , since I have been thinking for years that is the way to go on a feet forward long drive chain bike of any kind.

What would you sell a complete Rolling Chassis , without all the electronics . ?

tigcross wrote:
May 23 2019 11:42am
Hi guys, here's a video update on the progress of the Electrom1.
the frame is a combination of Aluminum tubing and laser cut and bent plate.
Controller: Grin Phaserunner
Motor: Magic Pie 2 (and the new Grin Splined Gearmotor when it comes in)
top speed: 60 kph
range: 220 km with 2 72 volt 20 AH batteries

tigcross   100 W

100 W

Post by tigcross » Aug 19 2019 2:07pm

He there, sorry about the long delay on a response. It's been a busy summer.
When do you think you will have a rolling chassis for sale with wheels wind screen etc. ?
I hope to have the first offering of Beta bikes out to my indigo backers in early 2020, however, I could start to sell framesets earlier as that work is done.
What does it weigh without the motor and batteries and controller ?
The frame only, without fork, bars or rear shock is less than 18 lbs. bars, steering, fork and controller brings it up to about 30 lbs. as you know, the battery and motor choices can have a significant effect on final weight.
The current build as shown is 120 lbs.

here's a youtube of the stripped down frame.

Not sure if you plan on selling a complete bike , or , If you would sell just a the rolling chassis or part of one like less the front fork , less the high handlebars , ( lower bars like on some recumbent's ) ? ( I do very much like the look of Grin's new Gmac , wondering how it would fare for the weight of the Electrom 1 for someone like me who wants to go up mountain passes ?
The GMAC motor will definitely be one of the motor choices

I plan to offer the bike in three trim levels:
-as a frame and steering kit (1 1/8 4 inch travel MTB fork will work);
-simple cargo set-up;
-full fiberglass fairing and tailbox.
I like the great idea of using the pedals to spin the small generator . Love your putting on that to Electrom 1 , since I have been thinking for years that is the way to go on a feet forward long drive chain bike of any kind.
Yes, the exercise effect of the generator drive is fantastic. and it makes for a very simple and maintenance free drive train.
It is difficult to give an exact estimate until we have completed the production sample, but we estimate that the Frame kit will sell for $2500 USD, the Base Kit will sell for as low as $4,000 USD, and the Deluxe Kit with full tailbox and front fairing will be around $6000 USD.
you can check out the idea a little further at the Indiegogo site. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/elec ... 18212313#/
It is difficult to give an exact estimate until we have completed the production sample, but we estimate that the Frame kit will sell for $2500 USD, the Base Kit will sell for as low as $4,000 USD, and the Deluxe Kit with full tailbox and front fairing will be around $6000 USD.

tigcross   100 W

100 W

Post by tigcross » Aug 19 2019 2:12pm

Hi ES'rs,
Heres a quick video detailing the Electrom1 Cable steering system that we've been testing over the past few months.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 19 2019 2:20pm

If i was you i'd offer a hub with very low rotating losses because you are using a 20 inch or smaller wheel after all.
The magic pie for 20" never comes in the right winding and has higher eddy currents than 9C clones because of it's tall stator and additional poles over a 9C type design.

The GMAC or any geared motor for that matter is going to have... actually.. lower efficiency in a vehicle like this, because of the gear drag VS. the actual load. And Paul at em3ev ( involved in engineering these motors to a degree ) has stated that there's a ~500rpm limit for the motors ( before magnets start flying ), which is real easy to knock up against in a 20 inch wheel.

A 4T 27mm or 30mm wide 205 tall DD hub ( 9C, MXUS, etc ) would be an ideal motor choice.
Geared motors? forget it..
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

tigcross   100 W

100 W

Post by tigcross » Aug 19 2019 2:50pm

Hi Neptronix, Thanks for the feedback.

I agree totally that a direct-drive motor is the best way to go. I like the simplicity and the reliability, not to mention the reduced hassle.

There were two reasons for choosing the Golden Magic Pie:

-I love the beefy construction of the wheel and rim, it makes for an incredibly road-worthy bike when paired with a 2.75 inch moped tire. That and the cast spokes do a great job of shedding heat.

- Torque-per-watt. the 273 mm diameter motor in the Golden provides for great torque at power levels that are legal in more areas(or at least closer to legal :D).

I am using the external controller version of the Magic Pie as I prefer the Grin controllers and Cycle Analyst.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 19 2019 3:16pm

You're right about the magic pie casting heat. It was my weapon of choice for the pike's peak hill climb in 2012 or so.

I forgot about this factor. Yeah, your vehicle is over 100lbs fully assembled so you could use it.
You can, however, get some of the wider 30-45mm hubs in scooter/moped/motorcycle composite wheels though. It'd be good for another few % efficiency, which i imagine is important to people buying a vehicle like yours.

I'd still chuck the idea of a geared motor. And that's coming from the guy that made MAC motors popular on this forum.

PS i think the steering mechanism is rad.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

tigcross   100 W

100 W

Post by tigcross » Aug 19 2019 11:25pm

thanks. I like that tire. I'm running16 inch 2.75 Heidenau Moped tires and I have to say that one of the best things about the 20 inch bike wheel is that it takes 16 inch moto tires.
I agree that geared hub motors aren't ideal, but they do allow folks in areas with lower power limits to play the game. My thought was to offer the Electrom with a few motor choices to suit the user's needs and local laws.

tigcross   100 W

100 W

Post by tigcross » Sep 09 2019 3:20pm

I’ve been putting as many test miles onto the new Electrom 1 frame as I can lately. My goal is to get the first frame up to at least 5000 KM of testing in time to make the next set of frames for our Beta backers.

Here’s a quick bit of video I shot while doing early morning speed runs. There’s even a short bit of off-road at the end–It must be pointed out that a long-wheelbase-recumbent-position vehicle like the Electrom is not ideal for off-roading–but I was pleasantly surprised by how well it handled. The 2.75 inch tires and 4 inches of front and rear suspension definitely help a lot.

I should also point out that I shot most of this footage at 5:30 AM when there were very few people about and pre-rode the narrow sections to make sure they were clear before running at higher speeds.

thundercamel   100 W

100 W

Post by thundercamel » Sep 10 2019 8:32am

I love the bike, and the four inches of suspension travel should definitely make off-roading at least possible. I am not a fan of the music though, as it is far to intense. Maybe tape some open cell foam over the microphone as a wind screen :)
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!