Car replacement E-bike that fits me

Show off your E-bike creation here.
ZeroEm   100 W

100 W

Re: Car replacement E-bike that fits me

Post by ZeroEm » Aug 16 2019 10:48pm

Put up my 10 yr old panels making a little shade in the 103F temps (ride in the mornings) but the 45 watts is really only 16 to 24 watts after the boost charger gets it due. I put the 3 15-watt panels in series and in full sun 66 volts. Morning clouds, after 17:00 shade from tall trees limits my time charging. Thought if it took a week to charge the battery it would be :roll: ok but not a month :shock: I guess more panels are needed want 0.5 to 1 amp would be nice.

My short panniers are working out well and with the solar setup back to getting my bike to connect to my trailers.
The journey is more important than the destination!
2013 Nissan Leaf S 8 bars 4.9 miles/Kw

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Aug 17 2019 1:13am

You'd be better off mounting some new thin panel ones to a bike, for shade while riding too :mrgreen:

Your bike would benefit vastly from some aerodynamic aids. Ever considered a windwrap fairing, or even a partial DIY coroplast fairing?
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

ZeroEm   100 W

100 W

Post by ZeroEm » Aug 17 2019 9:46pm

by neptronix » Aug 17 2019 1:13am
You'd be better off mounting some new thin panel ones to a bike, for shade while riding too

Your bike would benefit vastly from some aerodynamic aids. Ever considered a windwrap fairing, or even a partial DIY coroplast fairing?
Sorta waiting on you believe or not. been following your post. Reading about there is more to gain from the rear than the front.
It would be nice to have shade and/or ride in light rain so fairings look attractive on several fronts. Just not sure I want to add more weight to this trike. If I drop enough pounds off of me then will try it.

I cut a few tree limbs and changed the angle of the solar panels three times today to track the sun and tripled the daily output and my battery will be charged tomorrow so will wait on more panels.

ZeroEm   100 W

100 W

Post by ZeroEm » Sep 08 2019 11:38am

Now have 600k on the trike, started riding in the evening with a group using rechargeable lights so upgrading to 12-24V lights off of a 72v to 12v converter. The converter has a lock wire for a golf cart key switch. I have not worked with a lock before and don't have a key switch yet. The only diagram shows the lock wire (wire is red) attached to the key switch on the high voltage side my guess would be to connect it to main battery power to turn on the converter. Just don't want to let the magic out.

I have found that 32 kph or 20 mph is fast enough for me but will be changing out the 7T leafmotor for a 5T Edge motor. does any one want any info with this motor hooked up to 72V before I take it off. Love the motor but will be putting it on another bike at 48v or 52v and try it out.

currently I know the 7T leafmotor at 72V in a 26' or 47-559 tire tops out at 28 mph 300 - 500 w/h.
after a 20 mile trip the average was 15w/k with out much peddling.

I hybrid on most of my rides and see around 9w/k and charge my 25amp 72V pack every 2 or 3 weeks it is working the way I wanted.
I don't live around mountains but lots of hills and the motor is will pull all of them at or close to 20 mph at 1200w or 1600w never felt the need to run it at 2k or higher have CA3 limit the amps at 36amps the controller is only good for 40amps but never seen more than 26amps used.