My Kona Stinky build

jonnybump

1 W
Hi over the years I've owned a couple of ebikes - I worked 25 miles away from home so started with a BBS02 Cube hardtail, the drive failed so built another one and that went too. So I decided to scrap the kid drive idea and bought a cheap DD hub and fitted that..then bought a EEB clone frame and built a full suspension bike. It weighed a tonne - the frame along must have been in excess of 30kg. Last year I changed jobs and my commute was much shorter but carried on using the heavy bike until I got knocked off it, which bent the (steel) frame and shorted the wiring, killing the motor at the same time. Since then I use my car but I'm getting bored of that so decided to put together a new bike.

IMG-20190615-153321.jpg

IMG-20190615-153330.jpg

It's a Kona Stinky with a cheap eBay DD motor, it has a Sunwin 60v controller running 18S multistars, and pulls in excess of 50amps at times. This controller has lasted me ages and is absolutely faultless - it's done so many thousand miles.

It's so much lighter than the steel Chinese framed bike - I can remember now what drew me to ebikes in the first place! :D

Jon

Yeah it was the clone. I cant even find the frame after a quick search on google now either. Main reason I went for it was because it was cheap. But after 6 months it started rusting in parts and after the crash it retired to the shed.

exe said:
I am interested in a close up shot of your torque arms and battery case if you can provide some.

You mean on this new bike? It's dark at the minute but I'll try in the morning. It's a generic torque arm and only on the one side - I could attach it to the brake mount, but on the other side there's nothing to mount anything to. Luckily we have just had an engineering firm move into the unit next to us in work so I might ask if they can fab something up for me!

The white cover is for the controller - it's made out of 2mm PVC wall cladding believe it or not - and cost nothing as I had A4 sized samples for free so just cut them to shape to make the box/cover! It's just to make the controller a little better on the eye. The battery is in my backpack, you can probably see the connector under the saddle, along with the shunt for the volt/amp meter.

Back