Rear Bafang Hard Tail

guancio

10 mW
Hi all.
This is my first e-bike conversion. I've started from a relatively cheap hard tail: White XC 275 Trainer 19 (https://www.xxl.se/white-xc-275-trainer-19-terrangcykel-herr/p/1143967_1_style)

It has some cheap components, like Shimano Tourney MF-TZ500, 14-28T, however it is equipped with hydraulic disk brakes.
750a13d3cb6e4bb6a9fb87ba94527091.jpeg
5c0a2d4c3c7745278ff2692f4b0d2b81.jpeg
6fe194ad9dec404ab95f7bfb5ab9740b.jpeg

For conversion I used this kit (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948796043.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f314c4dEkPxbI):
  • 500W rear hub from bafang
  • cheap controller (unfortunately it uses cruise control to handle input throttle)
  • 48V 12Ah Dolphin battery

I'm using a cheap torque arm. It is difficult to find reliable shop here in Sweden and the one I've got does not fit well the 12mm axle. I'm planing to order a better one, so for now I'm trying to not use all torque of the motor

I've tried to clean the cabling by pairing the new cables (e.g. throttle and break sensors) with the existing ones, and by routing the sensor cables under the down-tube.

Unfortunately the control extension cable was too long. I didn't want to cut it, so I had to make it turn

The main problem has been connecting the batterly. The holes for bottle on my frames where too low for the battery. I didn't want to make a new hole (for now), therefore I had to create a small adapter. I used a u-shaped squared aluminium pipe (35 cm long and ~1 cm wide). I made three holes to the pipe and fasten the battery support using M5 nuts. Finally I fasten the pipe to the frame using two hose clamps. To avoid scratching the frame, I've cut a old tube and used one part under the pipe and two small parts around the hose clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_145208203.jpg
    IMG_20190707_145208203.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_134523864.jpg
    IMG_20190707_134523864.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_145156988.jpg
    IMG_20190707_145156988.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_145141808.jpg
    IMG_20190707_145141808.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_134609746.jpg
    IMG_20190707_134609746.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_134457483.jpg
    IMG_20190707_134457483.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,643
  • IMG_20190707_145224363.jpg
    IMG_20190707_145224363.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,643
Some small updates
  • cheap handle grip from China
  • tube bag
  • suspended seat post
  • u-locker mounted on front fork
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-31 at 11.15.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-31 at 11.15.18 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-31 at 11.15.18.jpeg

Analog gauge for engine power, pas level, and battery level in progress
[youtube]ddX8qISCRlU[/youtube]

As the wheel rotates, the torque reaction of the axle is the opposite direction. So, if I am not mistaken, the torque will try and pull the TA away from the frame tube. It would be better if it "wanted" to push against it. Right now, your hose clamp might be a weaker link than the sloppy fit of the torque arm. But I don't see any other way to mount it.
What I would recommend would be to fit another hose clamp (for two) and to install another TA on the other side. Two TA's, when they can be fitted is always better than one.
Unless you are running some high-power controller (like over 30 Amps), I think two of the genaric TA's would be safe enough.

Also, I'm assuming that Bafang mounts the original cassette so you are at 14 /28 now. That's a fairly useless gearing for an Ebike unless you are limited to 15 MPH (sorry, we don't think in Kilometers). It should relatively easy (inexpensive) to get something like a 11 or 12/46 or 48 gearing which would allow you to have a good cadence while cruising.
They don't need to be of the highest quality for an ebike and the mid-grade stuff works fine. when everything on a hub motor ebike is working right, the rider doesn't need to shift much, just the lowest two or three gears and never the chain rings. In fact, the smaller frt chainrings and frt. shifter are not used at all.

motomech said:
As the wheel rotates, the torque reaction of the axle is the opposite direction. So, if I am not mistaken, the torque will try and pull the TA away from the frame tube. It would be better if it "wanted" to push against it. Right now, your hose clamp might be a weaker link than the sloppy fit of the torque arm. But I don't see any other way to mount it.
What I would recommend would be to fit another hose clamp (for two) and to install another TA on the other side. Two TA's, when they can be fitted is always better than one.
Unless you are running some high-power controller (like over 30 Amps), I think two of the genaric TA's would be safe enough.

Thank you for you feedback, it is really really appreciated. That torque arm was a trash and it didn't fit precisely the axle. I mounted a new torque arm on the other side, I'll post a picture later today. Currently, I'm limiting max power to 20A, i.e. 1000 KW

motomech said:
Also, I'm assuming that Bafang mounts the original cassette so you are at 14 /28 now. That's a fairly useless gearing for an Ebike unless you are limited to 15 MPH (sorry, we don't think in Kilometers). It should relatively easy (inexpensive) to get something like a 11 or 12/46 or 48 gearing which would allow you to have a good cadence while cruising.
They don't need to be of the highest quality for an ebike and the mid-grade stuff works fine. when everything on a hub motor ebike is working right, the rider doesn't need to shift much, just the lowest two or three gears and never the chain rings. In fact, the smaller frt chainrings and frt. shifter are not used at all.

Agree and unfortunately when I've bought the engine I've decided to opt for the same system of the original bike: a freewheel. It is OK to pedal up to 7.8 m/s (sorry, we are SI extremists :D ).
I'm actually planning to buy a 11 rear. However, a 11T freewheel seems challenging to find and many people complain about DNP or the fact that 11T put too much stress on the chain. An alternative could be to have 48 or 52 front.

motomech said:

This is the other torque arm. Also this wan is unfortunately set to pull, but I didn't see another way to put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_1250132.jpg
    IMG_20190907_1250132.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 1,381
guancio said:
motomech said:

Agree and unfortunately when I've bought the engine I've decided to opt for the same system of the original bike: a freewheel. It is OK to pedal up to 7.8 m/s (sorry, we are SI extremists :D ).
I'm actually planning to buy a 11 rear. However, a 11T freewheel seems challenging to find and many people complain about DNP or the fact that 11T put too much stress on the chain. An alternative could be to have 48 or 52 front.
I'm of the minority that doesn't think the DNP is that bad, and perhaps the lack of love comes from the serious road bike crowd who would never like anything that can be weighed in Kilo's.
I'm on my third and here's my take on the DNP' when used on an ebike.
Good or indifferent;
1)I think there may have been some mid-production improvements, My last two seem smoother and quieter. On #2, I soaked it a bucket of oil overnight, not sure it made it better, but it sure made a mess for weeks.
2)It doesn't matter if the free wheel ratchet is not the smoothest when mounted on a geared motor, as it is the internal sprag clutch of the motor free wheels some of time.
3) the fact that it is heavy is not that big a deal when a 2Kg. to 5Kg. motor is already in the whl. When you come to understand that you need rear suspension, it will be even less of a factor.
4)The shifting can be improved. Due to the shark-fin shape of the teeth, the derailluer should up close and further under the gear-set. Adjust the derailleur for the three lowest gears that will be used.
Not so good;
1)It's pricey
2)It doesn't come apart, so no replacing the, first to wear out, 11T sm. gear.

Common to all free whl.s;

1)It's difficult to unscrew it off once used. The pedal action tightens it on the motor.

Bottom-line;
It's pretty much all there is and you need the 11T gear. And it looks as if your chainstay is not going to allow any big chain-ring over 48T before it hits, if that.

I had a similar design and that newer grin(?)torque arm you got on my Norco. Managed to fit it under the chainstay on the drive side.

You might consider exiting the battery wire to the rear and bringing it around in a loop (to make room for the TA and so it doesn't funnel water into the hub)/

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 3.24.57 pm.png

motomech said:
I'm of the minority that doesn't think the DNP is that bad,
Well, then I belong to this minority as well ! :mrgreen:

I have mounted the 7 speed DNP cassette on multiple MTBs with rear hub motor and never had any issues. Since the lowest cog you can get on Shimano freewheels are 13 teeth, there is not any other option for pedaling at higher speeds. At least unless you are willing to change the highest chainring in front.

Qualitywise I never found DNP worse than the average Tourney package.

motomech said:
Bottom-line;
It's pretty much all there is and you need the 11T gear. And it looks as if your chainstay is not going to allow any big chain-ring over 48T before it hits, if that.
Thank you for your explanation. I guess the DNP will end up soon in my basket. Any suggestion where to buy it in Europe?

guancio said:
Thank you for your explanation. I guess the DNP will end up soon in my basket. Any suggestion where to buy it in Europe?
I was not really addressed, but I know this source for Germany:
https://www.i-e-e.info/schraubkranz-dnp-7-fach-bis-9-fach-lieferbar-ritzel-11-34-zaehne-mit-freilauf/#

Edit: Those folks sell them as well:
https://www.ebike-solutions.com/en/shop/bicycle-parts/screw-on-freewheels/7-speed-screw-on-freewheels.html?number=aefw30117c1

But they are available on Ali as well:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32921165904.html

HolgiB said:
guancio said:
I was not really addressed, but I know this source for Germany:
https://www.i-e-e.info/schraubkranz-dnp-7-fach-bis-9-fach-lieferbar-ritzel-11-34-zaehne-mit-freilauf/#

Edit: Those folks sell them as well:
https://www.ebike-solutions.com/en/shop/bicycle-parts/screw-on-freewheels/7-speed-screw-on-freewheels.html?number=aefw30117c1

But they are available on Ali as well:
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32921165904.html

Thank you for the links

You are welcome ! I bought from i-e-e.info multiple times. They are a solid dealer.
The same goes for ebike-solutions. Possibly you will find them on e-bay as well.

Back