BBS02 powered HT commuter - Vitus Nucleus 29er

nickgernick

1 µW
Ongoing project of turning my hardtail into a everyday commuter bike.

Please share your tips, thoughts or just random comments. Will update when i can, the kit shipped yesterday from Germany 8)

Posting here to get tips if (when) i get in trouble during the build and to share with other so they can see, ive only seen on other BBSxx Vitus Nucleus and thats with a BBSHD. Seems like he had to use 8mm spacers to clear the chainstay. Im hoping to only need ~5mm
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/90793-vitus-nucleus-29vr-2019-bbshd

Been looking around forums and reddit for weeks without knowing for sure if the motor will fit my bike as its 73mm BB and not much clearance to the chainstay. In the end i decided to order from the cheapest vendor and try my luck. Some have had issues with PSW and some have not, I talked to a fellow Swede who got the same kit from them which sealed the deal for me :thumb:

:flame: Ordered
- BBS02 kit with P750c from PSWPOWER
- 48v 14.5Ah (claimed Samsung cells?) from PSWPOWER
- BB spacing kit from VeloSolo
- P-clamps to fit upcoming full length fender

:bolt: Upcoming
- SKS Bluemels 65mm fenders
- Schwalbe 28x2.0 Big Ben tyres
- Kickstand
- Longer chain

:lowbatt: If it all works out
- 42T Lekkie or PreciAlps Bling ring
- Thule Tour Rack + Basket
- High rise + Sweep back handlebar
- Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post

Only got a storage in the basement to work in but at least its big to be a rental apartment storage unit. :roll:

Starting point, a few picks of the bike. 2019 Vitus Nucleus 29VR XL frame.
00c73d9af40fe18665682305c92a2328.jpg

dbb1a53afd4e5af8e9b11270ab193954.jpg

954d338fd764e772f45883fc2e4de528.jpg

And the current state, remove the cranks and BB ready for the motor to go in. Also got rid of the dropper post, tiny mud guards and other singletrack equipment.

02c8a9b7200fb513d761798e87a6621b.jpg

Tight clearance. Only 50mm without spacers.
6e4ae927ae459ede0999f5ca78eb56f4.jpg

Pictures aren't coming up, but maybe it's my computer. "Jam nut" (or whatever it's called) won't fit with 73mm BB, so use lots of Locktite (even this didn't work for me, so I used a bike with a 68mm BB). Also, if you care, the spacers will further exacerbate the lack of symmetry between crank on drive distance from chainstay compared to non-drive (with 68mm BB, Lekkie arms resolve this "problem").

2old said:
Pictures aren't coming up, but maybe it's my computer. "Jam nut" (or whatever it's called) won't fit with 73mm BB, so use lots of Locktite (even this didn't work for me, so I used a bike with a 68mm BB). Also, if you care, the spacers will further exacerbate the lack of symmetry between crank on drive distance from chainstay compared to non-drive (with 68mm BB, Lekkie arms resolve this "problem").

Cheers, nah that was on my end. Linked em straight from my onedrive which obv did not work...

Yeah i mean i have seen some making it work on 73mm bikes so im going to try since i already got the bike. Worst case im getting a Vitus Dee VR which has 68mm bb nexus 3 igh and using instead. I was forced to sell my car and need an ebike cause im too lazy to pedal up the hills around here.

Even if i end up having to purchase a new bike the end cost is ~1300EU which is 50 more than the cheapest middrive prebuilt bike i considered :lol:

If you cannot get the bbs02 to fit perhaps another motor will fit your bike provided that you can return your motor for a refund. I mounted a TSDZ2 to my 2017 Raleigh Kodiak 1 which has a 73mm bb. The TSDZ2 is designed for both 68 and 73mm bbs and my kit even came with mounting plate spacers to use for a 73mm installation. I imagine there may be other motors available now too, I did my conversion a couple of years ago. Good luck with your project.

Back