The beginning of my final build ever

mr_exon

10 W
Most don’t know me, some remember me... ten years ago I was one of the top people involved in building small compact EV bikes... from 50mph micro pocket bikes to 20” bmx bikes with a brute hub out back.. I made a couple MX bikes with direct drive as well... long story short, the last ten years I stepped away from EV because lithium batteries at the time were young and scary, I always ran leaded ups type batteries... so I had no upgrade I could go with to further my builds so I quickly lost interest...

Update to today, google realizes I was popular in those days, so it thinks I still had an interest in small EV so when ever I rarely get onto FB, well my feed is full of these stupid overpriced novice eBikes from ad companies... finally got sick of it and started looking at my old contact list of companies I dealt with in the past... sure you all guessed it, 85% of them shut down... need your help at this point

What I want to build is a bomber style bike, I found frames and hub motors... And kits

But to this day lithium batteries scare the sht out of me
I would love some feed back. Guidance as well

I want to build a 60-120mile range 12KW hub powered bomber bike with motorcycle tires! I don’t care if it goes illegal speeds but I hear these can hit 85-100mph if done right..

Links please, this will be a great build!

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-register-custom-or-homemade-trailer-or-vehicle

I would keep it simple and get a tuned sur ron or tune it yourself. If you need big range, you can get some extra batteries in pannier boxes. It will be better in every aspect than Yet Another Bomber Clone Build.

By the way, with 12kw, and 100mph top speed, first, it isn't possible, second, if it was, the acceleration to that top speed would be a slug.

Tommm said:
I would keep it simple and get a tuned sur ron or tune it yourself. If you need big range, you can get some extra batteries in pannier boxes. It will be better in every aspect than Yet Another Bomber Clone Build.

By the way, with 12kw, and 100mph top speed, first, it isn't possible, second, if it was, the acceleration to that top speed would be a slug.

It will be simple... two 72v big packs, and I want a 12kw hub but most places only go up to 8kw and if that’s the case then I will just buy a brute again for the hub... hard to push a brute with pedals but power to the ground they are the best money can buy

Tommm said:

Tommm is right. With a sit-up-straight, suitcase-full-of-batteries style bike, 12kW of electric power might, if you’re lucky, get you 65mph if you do an excellent job of matching top speed to max power. But that would mean running at poor efficiency all the time, because you wouldn’t have enough power to spin up into an efficient speed range.

mr_exon said:
Tommm said:

It will be simple... two 72v big packs, and I want a 12kw hub but most places only go up to 8kw and if that’s the case then I will just buy a brute again for the hub... hard to push a brute with pedals but power to the ground they are the best money can buy
What is a brute when it's at home?

What is a brute when it's at home?
[/quote]

The brute, was my first hub ever, 13 years ago.. even with a bike with a curb weight of 120 pounds via lead batteries, it would 0-45mph stupid fast!!! Only downside was it was 8000watts so range with 12ah power was a major issue! I could get 20-25 miles between charges...

Was thinking last night before bed, I could maybe even run 4x 72v packs or 5x 52v packs and really turn up the range to cross country capable and attempt it this summer... however I may have to run a smaller hub and heat sink the controller via it will be getting the fetts power for hours at a time! Then when charging run as many chargers as battery packs and it should do the west coast to east coast run in 7-9 days....

For 12kw peak, you are fine with qs 3000w hub. For 12kw cont, maybe qs 5000w, qs 8000w def would be enough.

Tommm said:
For 12kw peak, you are fine with qs 3000w hub. For 12kw cont, maybe qs 5000w, qs 8000w def would be enough.

I get confused by those kw labels.

Could you translate to actual QS models, like 138, 205 273 etc?

john61ct said:
Tommm said:

I get confused by those kw labels.

Could you translate to actual QS models, like 138, 205 273 etc?

The table here will show watts as a result of series number (2XX), winding (T) and magnet width (H):
http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_read/QSMOTOR%20High%20Power%20350W%20-%2016kW%20BLDC%20Gearless%20Electric%20In%20Wheel%20Hub%20Motors%20with%20CE%20Certificaiton/569.html

mr_exon said:
Tommm said:

Hi,
Life is short, enjoy !
Good weather in Northern NYS is rare, I know.
Why not just buy high quality Sur Ron or Bomber
It will be delivered to your home during this phase of the epidemic and you ride for miles within weeks.
(Before the Black Flies or it snows again.)
Good Luck
Mike

Back