Kick Scooter to Mini-bike Conversion

ApacheXMD

100 mW
This is a somewhat different build. I decided my kid should have a new toy for upcoming summer days of social distancing. I had an old kick scooter laying around and I thought I'd breathe some new life into it, while providing some entertainment for myself and my son.

image_002.jpg

This project started out like this. It's a pink scooter I got from Amazon. Pink was $5 cheaper than the other colors at the time. I bought this with the intention of making an outrunner powered scooter, but it ended up being a hub motor conversion. It's a clone of the Oxelo Town 7XL.

image_001.jpg
It's a generic 250W 8" hub motor. I cut up some thick steel washers to make better dropouts for the hub motor. I (badly) welded on the dropouts to the stock steel rear. The clamping cap screw is just a 1/4-20, going through a cut up rod coupling. The top half of the rod coupling has been drilled though. Repeat for the other side.

minibike sketchup.jpg
This is the plan. Take the scooter and make it into a mini-bike of sorts, by using as little money as possible. Everything that went into this build, I happened to have on hand. The original plan was to have it more angular looking, but i didn't have any square tubing, and mitering and welding round tube is hard. So I went with plan C, with bent round tubes.

image_003.jpg
The tubes are 3/4" EMT electrical conduit. Cheap and easy to bend with a hand bender. I happened to have about 7' of the stuff, and a hand bender. They are sloppily welded to some flat bar for mounting to the scooter and the seat mounts. The front wheel is from a different scooter. The stock front suspension fork took a dive long ago.

image_004.jpg
I had to cut down the steering tub to mini-bike heights. It looks pretty ridiculous, but I like it!

image_005.jpg
I quickly slapped in some electronics and had the crash test dummy go for a test lap. Luckily he survived and Mom didn't kill me. He's sitting on steel and exposed bolts here.

image_006.jpg
After the non-fatal test ride, I felt we had spent all of our R&D budget and it was time to move to production. So I sprayed it all matte black and started final assembly.

image_008.jpg
I dug some things out of the trash can, a wood plank, some old floor mats, and an old t-shirt, and made a seat so mini-me wouldn't have a sore butt. Then all the rest of the trash parts went on.

image_009.jpg
Here she is, all done. I forgot to take pics of the battery mount, but I used two Makita USB charger things as holders to clip in two 18V Makita power tool packs. They are wired in series for 36V, 4AH. Foot pegs are made of more trash, 3/4" PVC pipe. All the rest of the electronics are parts bin stuff that I had lying around.

IMG_20200506_144410.jpg
The kids seems to like it! I hope it holds his attention for more than 5 minutes!

Back