E-Bike improvement vlog?

Angevin

1 µW
Hello all,

I have a bike like in the picture I included with this post, and I'm thinking of improving it. I have another battery laying around, and I'd like to add another engine in the front, because the current 250W is simply not enough in the steep landscapes that Malta offers- especially in the Mediterranean summer heat.

There's also some other minor issues with it, like the engine currently only having 1 mode rather than a setting from like 1-5 for its pedal assistance strength. The only way to not have pedal assistance is to turn it off, which is tricky in some situations where I'd like to keep my lights on but also save battery when going downhill and pedaling lightly for example. Also the speedometer works on the engine output, which is a bit pointless when going downhill and not using the engine- the speed is just 0. I'd like to fix this, haha.

I'm not very technical though. And I know many other people aren't either. So, do you guys think it would be cool to start a vlog channel that other non-techies can get inspired by to learn more about e-bikes and adjusting them to their wishes? Especially on Malta this would be great since people here are interested in automobile alternatives but generally don't know how or where to start.

For this I'll need some (a lot of) technical help however, which is what I hope to be getting on here. If there's any professionals that can give me technical advice in exchange for a shoutout (like I said, the Maltese are interested but don't know how to go about getting them)

So, in summary:

- the bike currently has a 250W engine, and a 36V 10Ah battery in it.
- make this thing better to climb hillsides with, not faster (possibly with a second engine in the front)
- add this 48V 10Ah battery that I have laying around to increase the range/counter the extra power consumption
- fix the speedometer
- the hind light is built into the battery and can only flash, I'd like to make it a steady light
- add turn direction indicators

Let me know what you think, and if you're interested in giving me advice!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_113011-EFFECTS.jpg
    IMG_20190421_113011-EFFECTS.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 598
Nice looking!
I’d would skip the front 250w motor/wheel. Even with it you will find it probably isn’t enough to make a big difference. Two times little power is still little power. Also the front one more powerful than the rear could cause traction and control issues. I would replace the rear one to at least 750w but more is much better. Think 1000w-3000w to see your bikes full potential. You’d probably have to increase your voltage to 48v so replacing your batteries might have to happen. You could replace just the motor and relace the wheel or get one completely assembled, getting a matching controller will also be necessary. There are two types of hub motors, I think geared is what you want for hills.

Skaiwerd said:
Nice looking!
I’d would skip the front 250w motor/wheel. Even with it you will find it probably isn’t enough to make a big difference. Two times little power is still little power. Also the front one more powerful than the rear could cause traction and control issues. I would replace the rear one to at least 750w but more is much better. Think 1000w-3000w to see your bikes full potential. You’d probably have to increase your voltage to 48v so replacing your batteries might have to happen. You could replace just the motor and relace the wheel or get one completely assembled, getting a matching controller will also be necessary. There are two types of hub motors, I think geared is what you want for hills.

thanks for the tips! I think 1000w is more than enough. I rode 500W before and it was plenty fine for me. How would I increase my voltage? like opening up the battery pack(s) and rearranging them? I figure there's more to it, but as a start I mean.

john61ct said:
What type of frame is that?

no idea, I bought it like this in Romania. the brand is Pegas, an old commie locally produced brand: https://bicicletapegas.ro/partizan-e-bike-verde-mineral

Back