Optibike 800Li Refit

qwing

1 µW
Hi folks,

this is a brief specification for the refit of an 2009 Optibike 800Li. My intention is it, to keep a phantastic bike up and running.
I’m fully aware there are many of you thinking, I’m crazy or have much to much money.
You are free to think so, but my point of view is different. Please avoid bashing or any nasty comments, thanks

UPDATE May 9th.
Initial situation in 2020
Design constrains:
Part list:
Why Cycle Analyst?
How to add a Magnet Ring for the PAS-Sensor

Initial situation in 2020
An Optibike 800Li 2009
Worn-out battery
Broken cable between controller and display-unit
Controller with an unclear status after replacement of the cable
Poor support from Optibike
Bike with all non-electrical parts in good shape

Decision to try a refit with parts from Grin technologies https://ebikes.ca
to reach this targets:
• keep the bike up and running, no more garbage
• new display with detailed information
• PAS-Sensor
• integration of brake switches
• new battery incl. BMS (capacity 22Ah or better)
• front and rear light
• odometer / speedsensor
• different presets to use in different modes:
• legal (German law for pedelec) 250W with PAS sensor and speed limit of 25 km/h for electrical assitance
• high 800W with PAS sensor
• unlimited 800W with Thottle

Design constrains:
Replacement shall not disturb the original design
Phaserunner replaces the original controller in the frame
CA mounted on the Chris King Notheadset
Battery replaces original battery in the frame
Original charger shall be useable
All components shall be fitted with connectors

Part list:
Phaserunner_L10
CA 3 WP
Extra power cable
Extra extension cable between Phaserunner and motor
Extra extension cable between CA and Phaserunner
2 TTL-USB cable
Anderson PowerPole-Connectors
JST-Connectors
refit of the original battery by a german company for battery repair: liofit, https://www.liofit.com

Total cost of all parts and tools is app. 1500€ what is similar to the price for an original replacement battery

Why Cycle Analyst
The original display of an Optibike is, from my point of view, quite ugly and with poor information / settings about range, power etc.
In addition, I want some extras like PAS-controlled mode, different presets and more details about the voltage, range, speed...

Why phaserunner
The original controller seems to be broken. However, I was able to get it up and running, after the cable harness was broken.
The phaserunner is waterproof, it can handle a 800W/36V BLDC-Motor. And it doesn't need a heatsink.
The Phaserunner_L10 comes with preconfigured harness. This is a disadvantage for the refit. Connectors and cable length are not as I need it.

Why a second TTL-USB cable?
The controller is located inside the frame. It's impossible to connect the USB-cable without remove wheel, battery etc... With an extra cable, it's just the charging connector, I have to remove.

How to add a Magnet Ring for the PAS-Sensor
The original bike doesn't have any PAS-sensor. The right side of the motor is equipped with the chain ring and no space for the magnet ring. On the left side, the gap between motor and pedal crank ia app. 7 mm. My solution is a 3mm alu-disc with 24 magnets 5x3 mm.
. Fixed with 2 screws to the crank.

I will post some pictures and details of the progress as soon as I find some time.
If you don't want to wait or need further details, just post your question. I try to answer within 2 days

Back