Electra Cruiser 1 Tall BBS02

Wolfeman

1 kW
For a long time I'd been wanting to build a cruiser. I'd been riding my GT Palomar everyday and that thing is a blast, but wanted something more laid back. Eventually a nearby CL post for a dusty neglected C1 led me to this.

IMG_4265 (1).JPG

A $120 Cruiser 1 with blinky wheel lights, a bent pedal, dry rotted tires, but most importantly, it was the Tall frame. (I'm full sized)

IMG_4547.jpg

Pretty soon it was looking like this. I am a sucker for BBS02s with Lekkie accessories. This time I actually needed to go with the anodized aluminum primary cover and 40T inward offset chainring to get the chainline in the acceptable range. I also added the black anodized 170 mm Buzzbars because the silver versions look so good on my Dyno Moto 7. Of critical importance was the Tektro front caliper brake. 8) The toughest part was learning how to install M5 riv-nuts properly (buy a nut set tool & practice on scrap tubing first) to attach the battery securely to the curved downtube.

IMG_4611.JPG

By now I was looking for, "The Look." Trying to chart out a direction for the bike aesthetically. This led to me trying out a Wald 1392 large delivery basket. I dig the look, but without a steering stabilizer the front end flops all over the place when stopped. I really really like the look and it'll get a 12 pack of good beer and snacks home from the corner store in style.

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4638.jpg

This is where the bike is now. Stripped and simple with Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires in 26" x 2.4", an EggRider display for looks and control via the app. No rear brakes (plan ahead or die) or speed sensor (who cares), and a Brooks B135 saddle. The 17.5 aH 52V battery gives me range for days especially if I dial back my controller amps using my phone. The bike's seating position is incredibly comfortable and the bike is an absolute blast to cruise around on.

IMG_4637.jpg

There are so many things I love about this bike. I can literally sit in the garage and stare at it. There is just something "right" about these Electra frames.

markz said:
Your right, its a cool looking bike with one gear in the rear.
Do you plan on installing a IGH in the rear?

Thanks man. I thought about putting a SA 3 spd in the back, but the BBS02 doesn't need it even with the 40T.

Wolfeman said:
markz said:
Your right, its a cool looking bike with one gear in the rear.
Do you plan on installing a IGH in the rear?

Thanks man. I thought about putting a SA 3 spd in the back, but the BBS02 doesn't need it even with the 40T.

I think the point is you have all the drawbacks of a mid drive and none of the advantages, if you only have one gear.

Chalo said:
I think the point is you have all the drawbacks of a mid drive and none of the advantages, if you only have one gear.

Don't like it?, don't build one....

Wolfeman said:
Chalo said:

Don't like it?, don't build one....

I didn't say whether or not I liked it. I only pointed out that it has drawbacks without advantages.

Nice looking bike, and I may try one since there's a spare motor in my parts box and an as-new 1984 Schwinn Mesa Runner frameset with vertical dropouts and cantilever bosses for a rear brake. You're more adventurous in that regard than I am.

Back