ProdecoTech City Bike Project

LewTwo

1 MW
OMG, I did it again! I have really been wanting a new Step Through Ebike with a Bafang mid drive. You may have seen my other posts considering a building CF or GF frame. I decided to not totally reinvent the wheel (or bicycle frame in this case). This is to be a city ebike …. no off-road, stair climbing or other silly things (I am an old fart with a bum left leg).
https://youtu.be/CG2cux_6Rcw

Main Components (there may seem like some odd choices):
Frame: ProdecoTech StrideMatic Low Step E-bike (*ordered*)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124914788124

Fork: SPINNER 26" Air Suspension MTB, White (*ordered*)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334228751390
This was used and cheap but I figure to take it apart and rebuild it (how difficult can that be?).

Rims: King-Pin 24 inch (507x34.5) , 36 spoke (*on hand*)
Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple 24x2.0 (*on hand*)
Rear Hub: Sturmey-Archer RXL-RD3, 3 Speed IGH with 90mm hub brake (*on hand*)
Front Hub: Sturmey-Archer XL-FD, 90mm hub brake (*ordered*)
OK, I know that they are slightly smaller than the frame is designed for but so what.
… and yes, I happen to like mechanical Drum brakes.
Need to order spokes and nipples .....

Battery: 52 volt x 15 Ahr, 16Sx1P Headway 40152S LiFePO4 cells (*not yet ordered*)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203117110289
OK, I have a hangup about LFP batteries and I believe Headway makes some of the best. I figure to mount these as two sets of 8 cells. That should be a slab about 2 inches thick, 6 by 15 inches or 8 by 13.5 inches on each side of the rear wheel (I need to do same layouts). They should weight about 18 pounds with BMS and case(s).

Smaller bits and pieces:
Cane Creek A headset Zero Stack Threadless 1 1/8" Head Set (*ordered*)
Satori Con-Tec DUO UP Adjustable Stem 120mm X 31.8mm (*ordered*)
12 Volt subsystem (lights, horn, other …)
Bar end turn signals
Dual Battery Module (*possible* for spare battery)

I figure to construct some kind of bespoke rear rack (maybe from Fiber Glass) to hang the battery slabs from, mount a removable trailer hitch for my Travoy trailer. Might even extend it forward past the seat post and mount a thick half slab foam seat like mini-bike.

Any color but black: The temperatures go above 100 degrees Fahrenheit in Houston’s summer. What do you folks think about: Canary Yellow, International Orange, Livid Green or Park Blue?

Where is the best place to order a Bafang BB202 from these days?
I think that I want to gear it for a top speed of 25MPH in second gear.

What display option is the most readable in blight, glaring sunlight (Note that I abhor SmartAss phones)?

All comments, suggestions and flames are welcomed :D

This is kinda what the Original looked like (with my scaled dimensions).
ProdecoTech 11.jpg

The battery is going to be a major bit of the cost of this project and the batteries are frequently the week point in a system. I have been looking at some of YouTube videos on the Daly Smart BMS. It seems that one can control the charge, discharge and balancing points as well as verify the individual cell voltages. It might be very useful to incorporate one of these in the battery. The one that I am looking at is available from the same vendor via Amazon and Ebay. The ebay listing has a lot more information than the Amazon listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234296758908

I did a search on the forum but I did not find information where any members had used one these. I wonder if any of you more technically battery savvy folks have tried one?

I received the frame and the fork shipments. The Spinner fork turns out to be a bit of an odd duck over 10 years old with 1 inch steel Stanchions. From crown to axel it about ½ inch longer than the ProdecoTech rigid fork that came with the frame. It is also a 24inch fork rather than the 26 inch fork that was advertised. Everything (lockout, rebound adjustment, airspring) still works and it looks to be in excellent shape.
View attachment Spinner Fork Work Dims.pdf

Question 1:
The headtube is 125 mm. The steerer tube is 164 mm. That could be a bit short as the stem need 40 mm by itself. The Cane Creek headset will require a bit of room itself. I have not worked with these new-fangled treadles forked before. Can I use a plug and a spacer ring to extend it about 10-12 mm? Or should I be looking for a new fork ?
Steerer Plug 33.jpg

Question 2:
I have located three powder-coating places within 3 miles of my town-home. Before I resort to rattle-cans I am going to get estimates for making the frame and fork lowers (removed from the fork) some color other than black. What is the order of magnitude for a fair quote?

P.S.
Dang it is cold outside. Temperature was 33 °F when I woke up this morning.

Well I found a better solution to my dilemma:
Steerer Tube 03.jpg
This is a replacement Steerer tube. It of course has to travel via a slow boat from China. Getting the old one should be easy (what was that fella said about 'mice and men'?). I figure to use an elbow powered milling machine (i.e. hacksaw). Cut it off about an 1/4 inch above cross piece and then cut a couple of slots through the center. It should then tap out easily.

I will have to take to a Local Bike Shop to have the crown ring pressed onto the Steerer tube. Guess that will have to include pressing the Tube in as well. :|

Back