Townie 7D Conversion

Canyon

10 µW
Been going to Burning Man for a few years and always took my Electra Cruiser 3i. Decided to finally build an e bike and found a really great Townie 7D for the conversion. Installed a Bafang BBSO2 drive with a 48V 17.5ah rear battery and I couldn't be more pleased. First charge got 46 miles of flat street riding. On my second charge and it is even better at 50 miles and still showing a 54% charge. Getting ready for this year's Burn and I am wondering if there is any special maintenance I should be aware of having to perform while on Playa. I've slimed the tires and am taking two spare tubes. Any recommendations for parts or maintenance items?
Thanks,
Canyon

Tire pump, firberglass strapping tape, para chord, utility knife, vice grips (they grab when nothing else does), the usual assortment of screw drivers, allen keys and hex wrenches .... as well as a very large golf umbrella.

brake pads, spare chain and joining links ???

nicobie said:
You'll be needing lots of chain lube/cleaner because of all the sand that gets everywhere!
It is Burning Man so it should be bio-degradable (do they make that?).

https://youtu.be/i5XbD6jRHnc

The one time we went to Burningman our custom made tandem trike ebike needed nothing for the week.
It was fitted with a solar panel so it never needed to be plugged in.
The only thing that failed was the power supply for the artistic light display and someone in the crowd had a spare.
There is a bike repair camp if something comes up.
No rocks or thorns to worry about.
If it rains it gets too mucky to cycle anyway.
Welcome home ... hug everyone ... enjoy !

calab said:
It is getting a bit to shit crazy out there these days, I wonder.

PaPaSteve said:
Welcome home ... hug everyone ... enjoy !

When arriving at the entrance the first words you'll hear is "welcome home" and then an offer of a hug.
The art is well past anything, anywhere.
A crazy good experience.
Hope to attend again someday.

Don't take an e-bike to Burning Man. Speeds are restricted and everything is flat as a pool table. The alkali dust is incredibly destructive to open machinery like bikes. People who are loaded up with every kind of drug will help themselves to your bike and may not even remember what happened to it. Get a crappy secondhand department store beach cruiser, granny trike, or tandem. Leave your good bike at home.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/09/18/5-reasons-you-should-never-ever-bring-your-ebike-to-burning-man-unless-its-a-mutant-ebike/

Take the Sondors out to Burning Man though huh

Chalo said:
https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/09/18/5-reasons-you-should-never-ever-bring-your-ebike-to-burning-man-unless-its-a-mutant-ebike/

calab said:
Take the Sondors out to Burning Man though huh

It's for the best.

Chalo said:
Don't take an e-bike to Burning Man. Speeds are restricted and everything is flat as a pool table. The alkali dust is incredibly destructive to open machinery like bikes. People who are loaded up with every kind of drug will help themselves to your bike and may not even remember what happened to it. Get a crappy secondhand department store beach cruiser, granny trike, or tandem. Leave your good bike at home.

One of my highest cherished builds.
Originally crafted in 1987 for use at the Kinetic Sculpture Grand Championships.
The primary school transport device during my kids primary school years.
A very low geared motor, solar panels and 48 feet of el wire for night time visibility was added for the 2013 Burning Man Adventure.
Our oldest son now shares it with his children.
Not nearly the same level of art as others ... great experience all the same.
Guess what trying to say is : Burning Man isn't all drugs a debauchery, yes that stuff does happen there but that's not what I went for.
And a cherished bike can survive just fine.

Attachments

• BurningMan 2013.JPG
    BurningMan 2013.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 492
  • UTE@beach.JPG
    UTE@beach.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 492
LewTwo said:
Tire pump, firberglass strapping tape, para chord, utility knife, vice grips (they grab when nothing else does), the usual assortment of screw drivers, allen keys and hex wrenches .... as well as a very large golf umbrella.

brake pads, spare chain and joining links ???
Have all of that stuff ready to go. Thanks! I have used large umbrellas on river trips through Grand Canyon and they are generally more trouble than they are worth. I do carry a small beach umbrella on my bike trailer for use if we want to sit and stare at an art piece though.
Canyon

Chalo said:

This will be my fourth Big Burn and I also have ~14 regional Burns in CA, AZ, CO & UT. I built the bike to take to the Burn so it is going. I have a great lock and use it any time I get off the bike so theft is not an issue. BTW do you know if those people loaded up with every kind of drug share? LOL My past Playa bike was an Electra Lux 3i and it has survived three burns and still running well. I do my best to maintain them and they get a thorough washing and a diluted vinegar rinse when they get home. The chain is my biggest concern because I try and run it as dry as possible so any suggestions there would be helpful. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge, it is greatly appreciated.
Canyon
Off to Burn in 9 days!!!!

Papa Steve, that is an AWESOME bike. I am humbled and jealous. Are you going this year? If you are please stop by Poly Paradise 9:15 and E and look me up. My travel trailer will be flying a Resist flag during the day.
Canyon

Canyon said:
Papa Steve, that is an AWESOME bike. I am humbled and jealous. Are you going this year? If you are please stop by Poly Paradise 9:15 and E and look me up. My travel trailer will be flying a Resist flag during the day.
Canyon

Sad to say, no Burning Man trip for me this year.
If the chance ever arrives again it will be based on having a substantial piece of art to share.
The grand plan is to create a 3D welding machine that welds all week creating a sculpture.
Approach the art in a different way ... a week long metal fire that makes a sculpture that doesn't burn down.
A small prototype 3D welder machine has been made ... it does work ... but, life has taken me in so many other directions and adventures.
Finding funding for such a project is the key.

Clearly you are enjoying the experience.
Welcome home :D

Back