Planning a first eBike build before purchase

413O+IjE9bL._AC_.jpg

I snagged a "Brainpower Motor Controller" for a couple of dollars awhile ago and I've been steadily working my way to building a junker eBike, but I'm having difficulties tracking the wiring and plugs they use and how to best take advantage of what the controller can do. I've found it's listing in multiple Amazon listings, but some of the details are missing key things and I was hoping you guys could recommend specific parts or what the voltages tend to be for things like rear break lights. It has the little display shown in the image too, but I'm not yet sure what it shows.

Amazon Listing 1
Amazon Listing 2
Amazon Listing 3

Thankfully it seems to be very common, but as you can see from leafing over the images presented they have some odd descriptions for different parts. I'm looking for help (and part recommendations) for these things:
  • 6km/h assist- might also be cruise control, but mine has a grey wire and not blue. Not sure how to use that at all.
  • Lamp power - No description of voltage. Should I just assume it's at battery voltage? Other guides claim it's on a circut with the "Brake Power off" clips which I know would go to my brake levers; I'd rather not spend more money on new brake levels for the circuit, but my city wants a rear light (which I might have) and I don't think I have momentary switches that can run this voltage.
  • Intelligent identification
- Is This site correct about Intelligent ID?
  • Power- I'd like to replace this with a switch, but I could also do an XT loop. Do they likely run the same voltage as the battery?
  • Finally, are there any provisions on the controller where I could tap a headlight? Or should I just run a separate one?

The controller can run at 36 or 48 volts, and I intend to run 48 volts. It's cutoff is 42, so I can't use the cheap samsung batteries HERE like I wanted to, but Battery clearing house has some big ones at 48 volts that might be worth a look. Current is limited to 13 amps, and I'll be using a Jumpbike hub that was bought from BCH. I plan to run it front wheel on a 29" BSO I got for $8 from a junkyard that is full suspension.

Thanks for any input you have!

Attachments

• brainpower diagram.jpg
    brainpower diagram.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 598
Thanks to a different poster and thread here, I've found more information on the SL-100 throttle I have and a lot of it is really good! It has provisions for showing battery voltage and possibly even some regen settings, though without a new controller even if I have them they're currently unusable. Having a voltage readout means one less thing to spend money on, and the built-in power settings mean I might not need the 3-speed switch either. Hoping I'll see some product suggestions from the forum and some explanations soon.

Also noted- the controller has a USB port but they suggest a maximum of 500mAh of draw. Super tiny, but that could be perfect for some running lights.

Finally, gonna be looking at batteries seriously because I need to have a rear rack for hauling things, but the suspension design means your average shelf style might not be usable due to the movements of the rear wheel and shock. Because of that and weight distribution i'm leaning away from rear rack batteries for standard downtube styles; Unit Pack Power cells are getting seriously cheap for my low amp (13A) needs, to the point where I might not build a battery at all unless I can gather enough info about proper construction of pouch cells to overcome my fears of them.

Still no responses? Meh, I'll just have to figure shit out I suppose 8)

Batteryhookup may have just provided a battery for me to use: https://batteryhookup.com/products/2-pack-panasonic-48v-power-module-13s-6-4a-299-99wh
FullSizeRender_clipped_rev_1_3dee0ce3-218e-404a-998a-05e7d20da218_1024x1024@2x.png

While being low power, it's extremely cheap and high-discharge; and thanks to David Poz, I can snag it at a discount AND get a guide on building my first pack, since removing the upper board exposes all the BMS Connections underneath! Finally, the battery can also handle the one charger I got for a couple of dollars, a basic Yarlan 48v unit that pushes 4 amps; I'll begin tallying up the actual cost of the bike soon as I put it together, but I genuinely may have my first eBike for ~$150. Since my typical communte for this bike will be 5-6 miles, a short range shouldn't be much of a detriment- the controller also has a 43v cutoff, which should be good for cell life with a depletion down to only ~3.1v.

On that 6kph assist it might be a walk mode. I just got a Himiway. It has this but 6kph is like running but if i choose 0 assist level it goes 3 kph. Then I can walk with it.

torker said:
On that 6kph assist it might be a walk mode. I just got a Himiway. It has this but 6kph is like running but if i choose 0 assist level it goes 3 kph. Then I can walk with it.
Interesting. What button or switch did you use, to use yours? I don't think I'll make use of it, but I'd like to at least know how.

Sorry so long. On the Himiway you just hold down the negative button

Back