SWB Optima Orca Recumbent

lowrider13

1 mW
After much time and searching, I finally found myself a decent 26inched wheeled second-hand rear-suspended SWB Recumbent for my work commuter.
This was originally owned by a Dutch traveler touring Australia.
20220507_110050.jpg

The plan is to convert to rear hub using some existing ebike bits i own. I used a very low KM version 5 Mac already laced into an Alex MD35 rim.
20220807_210229.jpg
I swapped the 8speed freewheel for 9 speed to match the drivetrain already fitted to the bike. It was a real squeeze at nearly 140mm getting between the 135mm spaced swingarm. Two Grin V4 torque arms are in use.
20220731_123717.jpg
The Controller lives under the seat - Programmable Infineon based 30A 9 Fet
20220730_131954.jpg
The Battery is a Samsung30Q in 14S 6P Triangle. Bluetooth BMS. This had only about 20 recharge cycles from another build(Purchased through EM3EV)
The battery lives in these motorcycle style hard case panniers.
I'm hoping being a suspended rack, the battery should have a nice comfy life!
20220807_210240.jpg

Hi how's your ride turning out - is the bike well suited and does it have any foibles? What are your controls, throttle etc, and are they ideal? Cheers.

AnthonyC said:
Hi how's your ride turning out - is the bike well suited and does it have any foibles? What are your controls, throttle etc, and are they ideal? Cheers.

Hey AnthonyC
I'm currently thumb throttle only (right hand side) with plans to add a torque sensing bottom bracket and Cycle Analyst 3.
I have cruise control and 2 speed switch (80% + 100% current) on left bar. Cruise control is a must have unless you have PAS of some kind.
The throttle is also a must have in my opinion for the recumbent - a quick squirt of the throttle to get moving from a standstill so you can get your feet up onto the pedals.
No brake cut-offs but i think i will add one

I just test rode with electric power last weekend and a few observations:
- Potential Heel strike on the 26" front wheel while turning - This could be overcome with riding habits i.e raising the pedal as you turn. This is only about my 6th ride on this bike and never ridden a recumbent before this.
- Recumbents are not real stable at very low speeds while turning - propensity to fall over easily if turning too sharp. I believe i would get used to this over time though and learn the turning limit.
- Awkward as F..k to move around :lol: So long and cumbersome to get in and out of the house!
- Awkward as F..k to work on :lol: Looking for a suitable HD work stand now
- Strange riding with a suspended rear end and a rigid front end.
- Very very comfy - i Reckon i could ride for hours without issue
- Very stable at high speeds - Max 58km/hr on 80% setting. Not that keen to go any faster than that ATM :shock:

I didn't like the lack of suspension in the front and the heel strike so converted to 20" front wheel and suspension fork.
Orca 20inch Wheel.jpg
It lowered the front end by a few inches which feels nicer to ride. No more heel strike either :D
The 20" wheel a bit easier to maneuver at low speeds than the 26"
I think I'll be sticking with the small wheel. Might even convert the rear to 20" at some point (rear shock mount has 3 mounting points for different sized wheels)

headrest and torque sensing bottom bracket will be the next mods. Want to do a front fairing too. Not prepared to pay the exorbitant prices that vendors charge for fairings (if you can even get one) Will be looking at a DIY jobbie using a motorcycle windscreen and a custom bracket. Wind blockage been the aim more so than aerodynamics. Could do it DIY for 1/5th of what i could get a fairing imported
triumph-trophy-1200-2000-2003-touring-windscreen-windshield.jpg

Looks cool with the 20" and good to know it works well. Stability might creep up on you, I began at 4.5mph and am below 2mph now, again on 20/26". Definitely ride some more before splashing on a TS BB. They can be more effort to commute with than a throttle, and with a CA3 and brake sensor you'd have torque mode throttle with cruise control. Without a brake sensor a throttle fault can turn into a kangaroo fight, DAMHIK.

Really looking forward to your fairing. My deluxe take on wind blocking is Bolle safety glasses and trouser clips, cool or what? :lol: But I'm trying to figure out a small rain deflector for the face to counteract the way the chest channels air flow upwards. Mostly because the 35kg bike just about fits in lifts and a front fairing would see an end to that.

A pad behind the seat's neck area works for me without the helmet interference of a headrest. A work stand doesn't bring the pedals any closer to the derailleur so I strap a bamboo to a pedal and rock the rear wheel up onto the side stand, it's enough for a tune-up, otherwise the bike goes on the bench.

Do post Wh/m @ Speed figures when you have them. On 52V 16Ah I'm getting 25 to 40 miles at 17mph (cruise not average), I suspect something's not right.

lowrider13 said:
I didn't like the lack of suspension in the front and the heel strike so converted to 20" front wheel and suspension fork.
It lowered the front end by a few inches which feels nicer to ride. No more heel strike either :D
The 20" wheel a bit easier to maneuver at low speeds than the 26"
I think I'll be sticking with the small wheel. ....
looking good :bigthumb: :thumb:

Back