Should i "downgrade" from 12s to 10s for BBSHD ?

Matze_Senpai

100 W
i was able to land a good deal on a high quality fatbike that comes with a sram nx 12speed setup. now ive googled about this and people seem to say that its not so great for a mid drive conversion because the chain gets narrower and the strengh of components is decreased compared to smaller 10s
my question is now : is anyone running a mid drive motor with 12speed cassette without problems? also how long would components hold up compared to 10s?

I'm not sure but I would say just run the 12s and if you feel like it didn't last nearly as long as you would like go to the 10 speed. Main thing is too know how to shift properly without putting much stress. One thing you are forgetting or is one of the benefits is also the cheaper parts replacement. If you are putting a lot of miles on the bike can add up over time. That's the reason I went with a 8 speed, 12-46 so more than enough range and 8 speed strength. Plus a new cassette is $35, chain is $12. I got 2500ish miles on my first set. Something to consider, with bbshd power you don't need lots of gears or even close ratios

Bengy22 said:
I'm not sure but I would say just run the 12s and if you feel like it didn't last nearly as long as you would like go to the 10 speed. Main thing is too know how to shift properly without putting much stress. One thing you are forgetting or is one of the benefits is also the cheaper parts replacement. If you are putting a lot of miles on the bike can add up over time. That's the reason I went with a 8 speed, 12-46 so more than enough range and 8 speed strength. Plus a new cassette is $35, chain is $12. I got 2500ish miles on my first set. Something to consider, with bbshd power you don't need lots of gears or even close ratios

thanks . i didnt know 8speed cassette come with 46t. also which derailleur would you use (when i search for 8s derailleur most say max amount of cog is 36t)

Matze_Senpai said:
Bengy22 said:

thanks . i didnt know 8speed cassette come with 46t. also which derailleur would you use (when i search for 8s derailleur most say max amount of cog is 36t)

You might be able to use the same derailleur, but you'll need to change the shifter for sure.

E-HP said:
Matze_Senpai said:
Bengy22 said:

You might be able to use the same derailleur, but you'll need to change the shifter for sure.

alright thanks

Matze_Senpai said:

I personally use a microshift Acolyte groupset. The main thing I like is the all steel cassette. The derailleur requires their shifter though, but for a clutched groupset I think I paid like $100 total after tax with a chain which is cheap. The also have the advent (9s) which offers a 46-11t (13t and 11t instead of a 12t) and the advent x which is a ten speed 48-11t. One thing to note is that they use the standard shimano hg hub which might not be compatible with your bike (not sure if the sram 12s uses the sram hub). But like I said imo just use the 12s, when it wears out make a decision if you want to keep it or "downgrade" to something cheaper with less gears

Back