7 ebikes I assembled for my familly!!

Doctorbass

100 GW
Do you remember few month ago when i was searching for 7 kit components?

NOW THE JOB IS DONE !! :mrgreen:

My familly is very satisfied with the power, range, quality of this setup! I choosed the perfect components for their needs.

It took me around man 35hour per ebike including the research and assembling and components modifications such as the controller and motor and battery connectors, Rear bike rack FOR DUAL SUSPENSION bike!! etc

This is the setup I think that should satisfy completly every details about confort, torque and speed and range for everyone that want to get and enjoy an ebike.

- The range ( no pedaling is at least 50km NO PEDALING) and 100km with 50% pedaling)
- The max speed is set by the little red botton that limit the max speed for 32km/h, 38km/h or 47km/h
- It can climb any hill on road at 25km/h and up
- The motor and setup is very efficient ( 650W at 45km/h)
- The battery is a LiFePO4 of 48V 15Ah of 2000 cycles ( good for up to 100 000 km !)
- The dual suspension allo perfect confort eventhou you hit some putholes or craks on the pavement
-The bike is made os strong alluminium renforced with steel torque arm to support the high motor torque
- The total weight is 59lbs without the battery but compared to a scooter, it's lightweight and have the same range and great torque!
-The little Cycle aAnalyst computer allow you to monitor speed, power, Ah and total energy used per ride or overall, and the efficiency in Wh per km)

This is one of the 7 ebike I assembled for my familly!:... in ( HD )
[youtube]p_rds9y5Jtk[/youtube]

Doc

What! no details?

Motor?
Controller?
Ping Battery?

TPA said:
What! no details?

Motor?
Controller?
Ping Battery?

-Motor: Rear Nine continent 9 x 7 with spoke offseted to 11mm to recenter the rim to the axel

-Controller 48V 35A digital Crystalyte controller using the IRFB4310 ( 100V rating but less current than the 4110)

-Ping Battery: V3.0 SIGNALAB with the BMS with led indicating the shunt active for each 1s3p cell group. It is made of 48 cells ( 16 series x 3 parallel of 5Ah lifepo4 SIGNALAB pouch. The pack is renforced with PCB sheet (customized like i asked for)

-Charger: 5A 60.3V full aluminum charger with fan. ( PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CHARGER HAVE NO POWER FACTOR CORRECTOR ( PFC) like many normal low power charger, making it to draw 690VA on the 120Vac ( and 312Watts).
So the power factor is less than 0.5 !!!.. this is not the best but if you dont count the energy consumed at the 120V outlet, this is not very important. but if you calculate a bit, you will discover that this charger consume twice energy from the 120Vac than the energy it give to the battery!

assuming 2000cycles of 760Wh each for the battery, that make around 1.5kWh per charge consumed to the 120Vac

( 3000kWh total used to recharge this pack in the entire lifetime) so it's 300$ of electricity(with around 10 cent/kWh that's) but with a charger including a PFC corrected circuit, that's 150$ economy of electricity over the 2000cycles...

I got around 760Wh average over the 7 battery pack of 15Ah 48V Ping battery ( 100%DOD)

Doc

I remember the request threads that you made for the kits.

It may be personal, so you do not have to answer if you do not want to, but who provided the kits, and what kind of deal did you get?

TPA said:
I remember the request threads that you made for the kits.

It may be personal, so you do not have to answer if you do not want to, but who provided the kits, and what kind of deal did you get?

No prob to answer about that :wink:

I got the controller from Justin ( Ebikes.ca) the battery and charger from Ping and the motor and CA from Justin.

I got cheaper price because i bought 7 piece of each parts.

Doc

Hi Doc,

Nice job! :)

What kind of lights did you use and what are the lumens?

Thanks!

Mitch

Doctorbass said:
Charger: 5A 60.3V full aluminum charger with fan. ( PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CHARGER HAVE NO POWER FACTOR CORRECTOR ( PFC) like many normal low power charger, making it to draw 690VA on the 120Vac ( and 312Watts).
So the power factor is less than 0.5 !!!.. this is not the best but if you dont count the energy consumed at the 120V outlet, this is not very important. but if you calculate a bit, you will discover that this charger consume twice energy from the 120Vac than the energy it give to the battery!

assuming 2000cycles of 760Wh each for the battery, that make around 1.5kWh per charge consumed to the 120Vac

( 3000kWh total used to recharge this pack in the entire lifetime) so it's 300$ of electricity(with around 10 cent/kWh that's) but with a charger including a PFC corrected circuit, that's 150$ economy of electricity over the 2000cycles...

If I'm not mistaken the apparent power (690VA) will only show as a higher RMS current draw, but not on the electrical bill (as long as the energy meter measures real power). Real power should be the charging power divided by efficiency. So with 80% effiency it should be around 1 kWh per charge.

bearing said:
Doctorbass said:
Charger: 5A 60.3V full aluminum charger with fan. ( PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS CHARGER HAVE NO POWER FACTOR CORRECTOR ( PFC) like many normal low power charger, making it to draw 690VA on the 120Vac ( and 312Watts).

If I'm not mistaken the apparent power (690VA) will only show as a higher RMS current draw, but not on the electrical bill (as long as the energy meter measures real power). Real power should be the charging power divided by efficiency. So with 80% effiency it should be around 1 kWh per charge.

House kilowatt hour meter are usually reading apparent power ( Current x volt) only big industrial electrical installation have power factor corrector. This is true the charging efficiency is not 100% but still very good since the charge is at around 0.33C so no heat generated.. . Taking account of the bleeding resistor BMS and the efficiency of the chargeur i would still think that the cahrger is charging at around 50% efficiency because of the apparent power.

Doc

Can we get a pic inside the battery bag please? Those look like nice bags, are they waterproof? Where did you get them?
Thanks!
-Jules

Doc, I like the bike rack, where did you find such a rack? Do the batteries move up and down with the suspension or is it just very minimal movements.

MitchJi said:
Hi Doc,

Nice job! :)

What kind of lights did you use and what are the lumens?

Thanks!

Mitch

The light are cheap Ebay bike light ( supposed to be 17Watts.. :roll: ) but I reconize that at the 11$ price i paid for I know they are not 17Watts... I almost wanted to have the casing and reflector cause they accept Stars type LED like the osram or luxeon or lumiled... actually they are probably like 1Watts max.. they are powered by 3 cheap AAA battery so....

i'll put 15W led unit soon! :twisted: .. just like the 6 i have in front of my ebike!

julesa said:
Can we get a pic inside the battery bag please? Those look like nice bags, are they waterproof? Where did you get them?
Thanks!
-Jules

Battery bag are Axiom brand.. availlable at Bikestop for around 24$..(30cad) pretty big and very pratical cause it also have pouch on both side that are folded when not using them. the 48V 15Ah ping battery just fit perfect!! and you still have enough room on the top for the 5A fast charger.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/bags/trunk/robson/

Doc

kfong said:
Doc, I like the bike rack, where did you find such a rack? Do the batteries move up and down with the suspension or is it just very minimal movements.

The rack is also made by Axiom. perfect desing! it move half less than a desing that is fixed on the rear wheel swingarm.

the movement is shared between the seatpost and the swinarm and the battery always keep horizontal.. the movement of the rear wheel make the rack to move only horizontaly without any tilt!.. just perfect!.. But it's a rack that i modified.. it is normally made to be fixed only on the swing arm and to move direct with the wheel. so i've added washers on the articulated parts and some grease and luck nut on the bolts to allo movement between the two side arms and the rack top part.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/rear-racks/odyssee-disc/

Bonjour Doctorbass,

Your bikes are awesome!

Ping claims better battery lifespan by charging and discharging at only 1C. Are you worried about the battery considering you are running a 35 amp controller?

The ebikes.ca store has 2 models for Nine Continent. 2806 and 2807. Does your 9x7 = 2807? or 2806? I'm confused!
What is the top speed of the bikes you just built?

Merci beaucoup!

MHz128

mhz128 said:
Bonjour Doctorbass,

Your bikes are awesome!

Ping claims better battery lifespan by charging and discharging at only 1C. Are you worried about the battery considering you are running a 35 amp controller?

The ebikes.ca store has 2 models for Nine Continent. 2806 and 2807. Does your 9x7 = 2807? or 2806? I'm confused!
What is the top speed of the bikes you just built?

Merci beaucoup!

MHz128

salut MHz128,,, Français ou English? :wink:

let's not take any chance, let's go with english from now.

Thanks for these appreciations, I worked alot on them! :shock: .. More than I could have expected. These motor are the torque version ( to match for the 26").

It's the 2807 version and just like Justin suggested, I needed to relace all these 7 wheel with a corrected offset of 11mm to center the rim to the axel instead of centered to the motor like they are factory made.

I dont worry of driving the ping battery to up to 3C. let's think about that... 2000 full cycle with around 50km per cycles it's 100 000km!!!.. let's assume that every member of my familly may use them for around 20 000km no more.. so... i'm very confident that these cells can make at least above 400 cycles at 2 or 3c !! :wink:

The rear rack desing is pretty nice!.. I like the small movement of the rack when the rear suspension move.

Doc

Btw doc, if you're using those mounting rod that mount to the seat post screw you should be careful a big bump and they'll slide right out. Either bend them at the end or use a flat piece with holes drill on 2 end to connect the rack and the seat post. Just twist the 2 end of the flat piece 90 degree.

Oh and if you don't like nasty mud messing up your nice bike and battery bag, this fender fits perfectly for that rear rack. The rack has a mount for reflector which you can connect the holder for this fender. Might need to find a local dealer for this item since it's sold by amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Front-Bicycle-Fender/dp/B000RYBGKM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1250055888&sr=8-10

ngocthach1130 said:
Btw doc, if you're using those mounting rod that mount to the seat post screw you should be careful a big bump and they'll slide right out. Either bend them at the end or use a flat piece with holes drill on 2 end to connect the rack and the seat post. Just twist the 2 end of the flat piece 90 degree.

Oh and if you don't like nasty mud messing up your nice bike and battery bag, this fender fits perfectly for that rear rack. The rack has a mount for reflector which you can connect the holder for this fender. Might need to find a local dealer for this item since it's sold by amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Front-Bicycle-Fender/dp/B000RYBGKM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1250055888&sr=8-10

Thanks for the info.. The rod are already renforced.. I also did not trusted their original attachement.

In normal use, that is, in a place that isn't all steep hills, the average amp rate on those motors should be 1.5c or less. Most places you ride, you have to stop at lights, slow down for pedestrians on bike paths, etc. 35 amps or more is only seen starting up, and climbing hills. So the higher amp rates are ok as long as they aren't for long periods. Hills longer than 2 miles might be a problem, so I slow down and use less throttle to get up a really long hill.

Unless one of those batteries wins the runt cell lottery, I bet they go at least 1000 cycles before they lose too much range.

On their web site, e-bikekit sells the rear 9c motors with 5 or 6 speed cassettes only because it would otherwise be too wide.

It's a bit hard to see from the video, but you appear to have a 7 speed cassette. If its the case, did you have too do anything special to make it fit?

7 ebikes?

Very impressed, I'm lucky to keep 3 E-bikes on two wheels and keep them in batteries.

El_Steak said:
On their web site, e-bikekit sells the rear 9c motors with 5 or 6 speed cassettes only because it would otherwise be too wide.

It's a bit hard to see from the video, but you appear to have a 7 speed cassette. If its the case, did you have too do anything special to make it fit?

I've bought these rear 9C from Justin ( ebikes.ca) because Ebike-kit responded me that they did not keep these motor.. then they finally got them few month after..

I asked Justing to get the 7speed cassette to get the 11 tooth gear).. it's better for pedaling with motor runing.. you can pedal slower than with the standard 14 tooth even though at 45kmh..

Ands yes.. 7 ebike is alot of job!! I had to customize every of them! :shock: .. but they are noe very proud of their powerfull ebike! :mrgreen:

Doc

Back