DBaker's Giant Faith2 Build

GCinDC

100 MW
Ever-elusive Dbaker, wanted by all the trail cops, :lol: came by and I got some pictures of him!

He was coming to pick up to my Premium Imported Australian Gutters (and Hyena, notice his inner tube!)

Anyway, I've been long harassing him about starting his own thread so, with his consent, am finally beginning it for him...

This is the latest of what, 5 ebikes, dbaker? Please elaborate! What exactly inspired you to go LiPo, do tell... :D

Some quick notes:
- 100V 18FET replaced w/ 12 FET after first 9C fried
- 24S lipo in custom 'saddle bags', reduced to 18S after smoked 9C
- Nice custom chainring!
- Methods' 7 spd freewheel w/ 11T cog

IMG_4652.JPGIMG_4650.JPGIMG_4653.JPGIMG_4654.JPGIMG_4655.JPGView attachment 6IMG_4657.JPGIMG_4658.JPGIMG_4659.JPGView attachment 2IMG_4661.JPG

GCinDC said:
Premium Imported Australian Gutters (and Hyena, notice his inner tube!)

My PVC and inner tubes - I'm so proud :lol:

If you're interested in tidying it up dbaker there's room inside the case (along side the caps) to mount the switch flush in the end plate and keep the wires internal. That's what I've done and it cuts down on the mess of wires everywhere.

I'd also be removing that sticker and/or replacing it with a custom one that reads '750w max power' or what ever your limit is over there, especially given you've already had one run in with the local cops. Even if they know nothing about ebikes it's a bit hard to deny the power when it has 1500w printed on a big bold sticker :lol:

Hyena,

You can probably tell it is not a finished project even though it is now my daily commuter. The controller is the remaining weak area aside from some battery pack details (inner tube!). My next ebike education segment will be controller modification and programming. My 10 mile commute is usually in the dark at 6am in the morning on an empty bike trail and returning on a 35 mph city street. This downhill bike is great for large potholes at 35 mph and blasting over curbs! I am bulk charging under my desk at work and on the bike at home so an easily removable battery pack is a requirement for me. I have not been stopped by the authorities on this bike. It doesn't seem to be a problem in this area so far.

Dave

I like your front chain ring adapter. How many teeth on front ring? BCD 130? I only found up to 48 teeth on the pesky 104mm 4-arm rings. Unfortunately I also realized why. On my Cannondale's there is no room to raise the front derailleur above that. :(

Glad to see someone else with a proper big front chainring :)

(With 56t ->11t I can pedal at 80kmh).

Did TPA make this adapter too?

I made a custom chainring adapter to get a 56 tooth ring on the front for pedaling at speed; I have an 11 tooth rear. This bike also has a verrry wide bottom bracket so my usual ploy of replacing the mountain crankset with an ebay road crankset was not economically viable :(

The front derailleur was also a challenge. I had to grind clearance in the clamp for a weld that prevented moving the derailleur up enough for the 56 tooth ring :?

Dave

Yeah, I love that chainring! It must be nice to have a lathe in your living room... :lol:

Greg, Can you post the picture of the saddle pack on my thread you took weeks ago? Dave

So tell me again: This is aluminum flashing you molded with the brake in your bedroom?
2010-03-14 14.40.01_Bethesda_Maryland_US.jpg
How do you hold/carry this? Have you thought about a handle in the middle?
2010-03-14 14.40.13_Bethesda_Maryland_US.jpg

Also, when you fried your 9C, can you remind me 1) how long you'd been pulling 2)how many amps?

BTW, any plans for the spare 6s lipos??? :mrgreen:

I'm going to add 2s2p to my rig, first using old lipos I bought from steveo.. Charge them separately... Just added JST-XH's & a 2s buzzer from HobbyKing. (and the Turnigy camera!) :D

20s2p is more than that 9C can take in a 26 inch wheel! To push yours harder you will need a thermometer to keep it from getting smoked!

I bent up the saddle pack from flashing metal and pop riveted the 2 sides together to get the slope correct along the top tube. I used silicone caulk and duct tape to fasten the sides together. Fabric cover secured with double stick tape and velcro tape "finishes" the pack. I tuck it under my arm to get it into the building where I work.

Dave

I am probably doing less than 25 mph. With 56 tooth front chain ring driving an 11 tooth rear cog I can give meaningful pedal assist at 30 plus mph. From a stop though pedals give pretty slow acceleration assist. 18s2p Lipo takes care of the real acceleration!

Dave

Love your bike Dbaker!

What is the average(typical, useful, median, etc.) range of your current setup?
Also, what gear/method do you use for your charging the pack?

Your commute through DC sounds like a blast. Perhaps a high-speed video is in order? :D

Thanks! Have fun!

I use this for a 10 mile trip to work, charge the pack under my desk, ride 10 miles home, charge. I use BM-6's to monitor charging using a laptop 18v power supply in series with a 48v 3amp lead acid charger. I end up with almost 75 volts hot off the charger. Pack drops to 69 volts at end of 10 mile ride.

Dave

Worried? How is your commute with the trailer? Strange weather earlier this week!

I used 12 gauge teflon wire for phases with existing Hall wires. A bit of effort!

Dave

What bike trail are you taking? Rock Creek Parkway? I love DC in the spring, you can have it the rest of the year though.

Nice setup, def some tidying up todo, but as you say, a work in progress. :wink:

I like your controller placement, it must warm your "vital" areas on those cold morning commutes.

just took this screenshot from my highlights vid. not sure if it's your Giant or not but, thought it might provide talking points for anyone interested in hefty moped tire capable of 70mph... lol
file.php

Back