E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Show off your E-bike creation here.
User avatar
Samer   10 W

10 W
Posts: 70
Joined: Jun 20 2014 6:40pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Samer » Oct 17 2014 2:27am

hi guys, quick question,

today i was riding my bomber , the motor was hot and i stop a little be , lay down the bike on the side and some oil star coming out of the motor and tiny be of smoke , didn't smell burnt anybody know what is this oil?

cheers

User avatar
Samer   10 W

10 W
Posts: 70
Joined: Jun 20 2014 6:40pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Samer » Oct 17 2014 4:52am

1abv wrote:Made a couple of tools.. Pretty basic but useful thought I would share.

Since the v boxx cranks like to bend I made a board that has measurements on it at specific distances so when I bend the cranks back that would be in spec.

Bomber board with measurements.
Image

I clamp a piece of square tubing and back the crank up against it, and now I can use it to measure how bent my cranks are and where they are bent.
Image

finally I get a ruler or tape measure and line it up to the marks.
Image

I put the cranks in a padded vice, wrap them in cloth and bend em back in shape.


it is good to heat it up with heat gun before bend it back in place :)
This is version one of the board but its been real helpful. Hope it helps....

Tool #2
Bomber strut. I used this when I removed the rear shock to hold up the bike. pretty basic but here you go..
Image

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 17 2014 9:06am

Man...second crank to bend. Took a nasty spill on some wet leaves turning into a bridge. GForm elbow pads really really work. Got a bit of a concussion though even though was wearing my DH helmet. At the bike shop right now waiting for them to open (I had ordered extra Suntour cranks a few months ago). Tried to upload a photo but forum app said it was too big.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6980
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 17 2014 9:25am

Nice ABV1, that will get them perfect. The few times I bent the Bomber cranks, I just threw them in the press and eyeballed them, your method is more precise that's for sure.
Great idea Rick. I hope Stealth goes for it. I'd like a Cro-Adaptto BombFighter please :)

No I really would. But then I think back to the handful of times where something happened requiring more complex repairs.
If I built it myself, it wouldn't be nearly as easy as it is factory built...I just put the part in a box and send it to Stealth. It only takes a few days or so to get rolling again.

Maybe if I had a proper workshop I'd consider it. Otherwise for me, factory built, with full warranty & fast turnaround is worth a lot.
Remf, there is nothing that beats a turn key ready to ride ebike like our Bombers and Fighters, and with the excellent support original owners get from Stealth, no argument at all. Which brings me to my second point. Now that I have a few years of ebike riding, and almost as long with one Stealth or another under my ass, I learned a lot. For me, the next evolution is to build a Ebike, and get it right. I have been fuqing around with 1/2" x 1" Cromolly square tubing (Like Drunk Skunks) trying to build my own frame. Its much harder than it looks, I spend several hundred dollars on tubing, and countless hours, I aint got it right yet. So my next step is to buy a frame, such as a Phasor or Raptor and go that way. But if Stealth comes out with something, I am going that route, because I am a Stealth rider, and if I have the option, going to keep it Stealth. For those that don't know, I am partial to Stealth bikes, even though I do appreciate the Raptor and Phasor guys and their builds. Such as the basis for my email to Stealth along with the feed back I got from the guys here. If and when I get a response, I will share it here.

Rick

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6980
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 17 2014 2:21pm

Here is the face book link to Stealth North America, to include northern hemisphere.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stealth- ... 8655178945

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 17 2014 2:37pm

1abv wrote:Made a couple of tools.. Pretty basic but useful thought I would share.

Since the v boxx cranks like to bend I made a board that has measurements on it at specific distances so when I bend the cranks back that would be in spec.

Bomber board with measurements.
Image

I clamp a piece of square tubing and back the crank up against it, and now I can use it to measure how bent my cranks are and where they are bent.
Image

finally I get a ruler or tape measure and line it up to the marks.
Image

I put the cranks in a padded vice, wrap them in cloth and bend em back in shape.

This is version one of the board but its been real helpful. Hope it helps....

Tool #2
Bomber strut. I used this when I removed the rear shock to hold up the bike. pretty basic but here you go..
Image
Ah very cool, wish I read this before I put on new cranks (although I've bent them twice already).

1abv   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 614
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Oct 18 2014 2:30pm

Latest outing:
The rear just does not kick up at all. Pretty impressive from where the suspension started. Between the 888's and the revalve of the rear its night and day.. I'm still working on getting more plushness and bottoming resistance out of the front. My bar is set at my moto suspension. I may never be able to get there but side like to try. On the rocky hill climbs the rear wheel skipping and hopping issue is much better but not gone. I've been really impressed with the quality of the magura mt4 brakes.. I need to do some tweaking to them yet, the motorbolts are still rather close. I'm going to get a shop to macheine me up a proper spacer instead of the ghetto washer thing that I'm doing now to space the disc...

More to come...

1abv   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 614
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Oct 18 2014 11:46pm

Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx

Jimboyr6   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 460
Joined: Jan 24 2014 4:22pm
Location: Uk essex

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Jimboyr6 » Oct 19 2014 3:51am

1abv wrote:Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx
What from ur pants, cos u had a fast ride, :wink: ,,
Or is ur motor hot ?
Stealth bomber owner 138 livin the dream

boars   100 W

100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Oct 02 2014 12:06am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by boars » Oct 19 2014 4:23am

So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

Edit: found the answer 146+ pages back :oops:

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 19 2014 7:05am

boars wrote:So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

Edit: found the answer 146+ pages back :oops:
I've bent two cranks now from the weight of the bike. You want them to bend otherwise it will mess up the VBoxx. I've been debating about bringing a large crank straightening tool with me in my backpack for those times you get stranded.

1abv   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 614
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Oct 19 2014 8:52am

Jimboyr6 wrote:
1abv wrote:Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx
What from ur pants, cos u had a fast ride, :wink: ,,
Or is ur motor hot ?
Both? Its the motor.. I've read that if they are worked hard they smell but mine walkways seems to smell... And then my pants. Normal? Or should I be worried?

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6980
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 19 2014 8:52am

Jimboyr6 wrote:
1abv wrote:Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx
What from ur pants, cos u had a fast ride, :wink: ,,
Or is ur motor hot ?
:lol: :lol:

Assuming the smell you are referring too is coming from your motor, when you ride and get the motor warm, that odor is the antirust coating Stealth uses on the stator, armature, and magnets. This is normal. Eventually it will go away.

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3266
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Allex » Oct 19 2014 1:30pm

Allex wrote:Any one knows of a gear puller that fits to Our 5403 motor? Cheap!
Bought a 8" 200mm gear puller. ~25USD
Was afraid that it would be to small but you can even use it for bigger stuff.
I think My Stock NSK bearings are dry, they started to make metallic sound after one good wash. I will push them out and open upp the seals, clean them and relube. I could by some new SKF, but I dont think mine are bad, just dry...
BTW, Nice Board there, 1abv
Attachments
DSC04486.JPG
DSC04486.JPG (218.24 KiB) Viewed 4652 times

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6980
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 19 2014 2:26pm

Allex, I have some SKF units in the 5404 on my er, dad's Bomber. They are better units then the NSK. Since you are removing them, I would get some SKF units and put back in. They ran about 11 euro each when I had Dlogic get them for me. Just my 2 cents. By the way, nice 3 prong puller, I got my 3 prong puller from Harbor Freight, it was the best 9 dollars I spent on a cheap tool, its quality isn't as good as yours, I can tell that from your picture.

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3266
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Allex » Oct 19 2014 2:38pm

Ahr, you make me spend more money. I know you mentioned this before, but what dimentions do I need on the bearings?

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 19 2014 4:16pm

I still have no idea what that contraption is!?

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3266
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Allex » Oct 19 2014 4:35pm


User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 19 2014 5:45pm

Allex wrote:
Okay! Wow that is genius. Okay I have to get one now as I'm about to start using an MC tire with a 4504.

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 19 2014 5:45pm

Allex wrote:
Okay! Wow that is genius. Okay I have to get one now as I'm about to start using an MC tire with a 4504.

User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Samd » Oct 19 2014 6:05pm

The important bit is at 5 minutes 30 seconds. Watch those fingers!!!!

If the covers don't drop by the last half an inch or so then the bearings haven't seated inside the cover. A roll of duct tape placed sideways over the axle and a nylon-headed hammer makes a simple way to gently tap them some of the way home so you can get the side plates screws located with enough thread to pull the covers down..
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6980
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by Rix » Oct 19 2014 6:49pm

Allex wrote:Ahr, you make me spend more money. I know you mentioned this before, but what dimentions do I need on the bearings?
Get a 6005Rs and a 6004RS, The 6004 series is a 42mmOD x 20mmID x 12mm wide, the 6005 series is a 47mmOD x 25mmID x 12mm wide. The RS designates the bearing "Race Seal" between the inner and outer race and the 2 designates 2 race seals per bearing. This is universal so you can order this bearing from anywhere and get the correct one.

1abv   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 614
Joined: Mar 29 2013 11:19pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by 1abv » Oct 19 2014 8:21pm

Rix wrote:
Jimboyr6 wrote:
1abv wrote:Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx
What from ur pants, cos u had a fast ride, :wink: ,,
Or is ur motor hot ?
:lol: :lol:

Assuming the smell you are referring too is coming from your motor, when you ride and get the motor warm, that odor is the antirust coating Stealth uses on the stator, armature, and magnets. This is normal. Eventually it will go away.
Thx sir!

boars   100 W

100 W
Posts: 155
Joined: Oct 02 2014 12:06am
Location: Brisbane Australia

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by boars » Oct 19 2014 9:07pm

proper159 wrote:
boars wrote:So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

Edit: found the answer 146+ pages back :oops:
I've bent two cranks now from the weight of the bike. You want them to bend otherwise it will mess up the VBoxx. I've been debating about bringing a large crank straightening tool with me in my backpack for those times you get stranded.
I can understand you don't want the force transferred into the v-boxx unit - that would be more expensive and all sorts of bad.

Was just musing that it'd be nice to have a really strong arm with a pivot that's locked out by a small pin (or some component) that's designed to take the force and get broken in a drop/accident. Knock the pin out if it's still in, move the crank back to where it should be and throw another pin in. Figure it'd be easier to have a bunch of pins/something than a big crank straightening tool :mrgreen:

User avatar
proper159   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 359
Joined: Oct 21 2013 10:06pm

Re: E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Post by proper159 » Oct 19 2014 9:31pm

boars wrote:
proper159 wrote:
boars wrote:So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

Edit: found the answer 146+ pages back :oops:
I've bent two cranks now from the weight of the bike. You want them to bend otherwise it will mess up the VBoxx. I've been debating about bringing a large crank straightening tool with me in my backpack for those times you get stranded.
I can understand you don't want the force transferred into the v-boxx unit - that would be more expensive and all sorts of bad.

Was just musing that it'd be nice to have a really strong arm with a pivot that's locked out by a small pin (or some component) that's designed to take the force and get broken in a drop/accident. Knock the pin out if it's still in, move the crank back to where it should be and throw another pin in. Figure it'd be easier to have a bunch of pins/something than a big crank straightening tool :mrgreen:
Yeah that could be a good idea. I'm now thinking about carrying an extra crank for both sides in my bag because it's a complete pain in the butt to not be able to pedal when you are low or your battery is zero. On my longer trips I could end up in a major dilemma if I bend the crank halfway through the trip and then have to rely on just throttle to complete the second half. I could be stranded more than 10 km from my destination in the cold.

Post Reply