Beautiful Beast Electric

shinyballs

1 kW
Blessed are the nerds, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Electrical stuff - 66v 13.8ah 120pcs A123, X5303, Kelly 72101, TrailTech SCMR16 headlight, rear 12v LED Automotive Running lights, 12v switching power supply
others - oldie Specialized FSR XC frame, Marzocchi Bomber fork, Fox Air Vanilla Rear Shock, Specialized Crossroads Armadillo tires, ABS fairing/body, 10g spokes on rear

Thank you for viewing!

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF0016.jpg
    Copy of DSCF0016.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 7,733
  • Copy of DSCF0017.jpg
    Copy of DSCF0017.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7,732
  • Copy of DSCF0012.jpg
    Copy of DSCF0012.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 7,798
whoa, those some extreme angle on that rear wheel. are they sure the nipple won't break off. btw, what's the motor?

ngocthach1130 said:
btw, what's the motor?

shinyballs said:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/x5.htm

:-|

Good job mate, those spokes do look like they are on a lil bit of a severe angle there ;-S

EDIT: any chance of some pics with the 'clothes' off so we can have a looksey bo peep at how you have fastened/layed out everything under the enclosure?

shinyballs said:
Blessed are the nerds, for they shall inherit the Earth.
Nice and clean. It's good to see that level of attention to detail to actually go the distance to make it look good.

There's nothing wrong with crossed spokes, that just tends to distribute the load better. The standard (most common) wheel cross pattern is three cross and four cross works fine too. For some reason the radial (zero cross) is the most "fashionable" for hub motors.

:arrow: It looks like you are using two cross which is fine.

If you are new(er) here you just have to get used to people that disagree just because it's "different" than they expect or are familiar with.

safe said:
The standard (most common) wheel cross pattern is three cross and four cross works fine too. For some reason the radial (zero cross) is the most "fashionable" for hub motors.

Radial is only the most common for big motors (C'lyte) in small rims (20"), because even a cross-one pattern is generally too great an angle in that case. Anything else is pretty much a guaranteed cross-one.

Nice bike, BTW, shinyballs :D

That's awesome!!

Can we see some pics inside the boxes/fairings? Where are all the batteries?

Thank you for the awe-inspiring words!

Love the spokes, no problems with it whatsoever... been riding it for 6 months now, mostly in the country with lots of dirt roads. 10 gauge spokes are very strong, have to be slanted to use more metal material in the X5 - or else hub hole will crack by the spoke tension. This wheel setup is built like a motorcycle and I think will last a lifetime.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2382&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Mark_A_W said:
Can we see some pics inside the boxes/fairings? Where are all the batteries?
Batteries are mounted around the frame and seat tube, controller in the rear rack. will post more pics and video soon, have to replace my dying 6yr old 3 megapixel camera.

Ypedal said:
How do you charge this creation ! 8)
For charging, I use 2 stock Dewalt charger/bms, switched to 36v(shown in the pic below). Also has the same plugs on the left side.

For the ABS work, I bought a sheet and cut,bend,glue it using -
saw, router
ABS cement(black), IPS Weld-On #3 Cement
strip heater element, heat gun

also used lexan on the insides and in the crank/chain shield

TylerDurden said:
Might as well make fairings for the gear on the rear (?).
Old Glory is a nice touch. 8)
Tyler, can you show what it looks like...?

Attachments

• DSCF0040 2 copy.jpg
    DSCF0040 2 copy.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 7,250
Oh, I only meant that the American flag was a nice splash of color.

Also, adding covers onto the strutwork on the back could cut a bit of turbulence.

:mrgreen:

TylerDurden said:
Oh, I only meant that the American flag was a nice splash of color.

Keeps the authorities from thinking it's a terrorist bombike.

Nicely done, SB. The stealth fighter of ebikes.

I really like what you've done with the ABS plastic. I'm still trying to figure out what to cover my triangle with. Lexan seems to be the way to go in terms of strength, but ABS is much cheaper and I imagine easier to work with. Any chance you could compare the two materials for us in terms of ebike use. I'd also love to see what the bike looks like semi naked!

Thank you for the compliments
You're correct! Lexan has a higher tensile and impact strength compared to abs. However Lexan is difficult to work with and is strong only if molded/shaped as a single piece. Whereas abs can be assembled as separate pieces using a "welding" solution and cement. I'm no expert, the plastic factory here is kind enough to give me a free hands-on crash course in plastic fabrication. To save me some money, I try to make it myself but still there are some parts made by the factory.

Some earlier build pics of the case which I no longer used since I changed my pack configuration to parallel first. Since then, I built a different casing for the present pack size cause the former is no longer compatible.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF0021.jpg
    Copy of DSCF0021.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6,004
some changes, additions...

- 73v,16Ah lifepo4
- power on thru key switch with led indicator lights
- 73v outlet – for A/C devices with a switchable p/s
- 12v outlet
- mrp x-rated suspension linkage
- mrp chain guide
- Yasusu(Taiwan made) rear shock with 900lb spring
- headlight lens cover
- omm sherpa front rack
- ram gps mount

Stock linkage broke, the replacement(upgrade) which is better than stock, further stiffens up the rear end. PITA when chain jumps, the chain guide prevents it.
The old Fox Vanilla shock leaks. The low cost replacement is similar, looks pretty well-built and also with nitrogen inside.
Some dumbass stole my silicone headlight lens cover, replaced with a toy case from the 99cents store. Have to heat the plastic cover a bit to form a tight fit.

A short video…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Q4T59t4w8

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of FILE0009.jpg
    Copy of Copy of FILE0009.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 3,385
Thanks for the video, your ABS work really does look good. Have you noticed any deterioration in the plastic. I was told all ABS deteriorates in UV, but that black deteriorates least.

I like the key, look quite professional, hopefully not your only form of security though! How did you go from 66v to 73v? That's an extra 7v? Is it another 6.6v of A123 which you've rounded up? Also have you changed your charging setup for the new voltage?

I'd love to have 16ah of battery, but I just couldn't get it into my triangle. What is your range like on a full charge?

Thanks
answers inserted...

patrickza said:
Thanks for the video, your ABS work really does look good. Have you noticed any deterioration in the plastic. I was told all ABS deteriorates in UV, but that black deteriorates least.

Been over a year now and I haven't notice any cracks, fading, warping so far. I just use ArmorAll which somehow protects it from the weather and other contaminants. Also I don't leave bike outside under the sun if temp is over 100F.

I like the key, look quite professional, hopefully not your only form of security though!

Definitely not the only one!

How did you go from 66v to 73v? That's an extra 7v? Is it another 6.6v of A123 which you've rounded up?

I changed my cells to a higher density lifo rated at 3.3v, 3.2Ah at 3c continuous which is enough for my needs. After a full charge/balance, total pack voltage is around 73v(+- .5v). Had it pre-welded to 5p from the vendor.

Copy of HPIM0265.jpg
Copy of HPIM0270.jpg

Also have you changed your charging setup for the new voltage?
The same split charging but now using a Cosel & Lambda variable p/s.

I'd love to have 16ah of battery, but I just couldn't get it into my triangle. What is your range like on a full charge?

For a total weight of 260 lbs(110lb bike & 150lb rider) on paved road at 25mph avg with no pedaling, range is approx 30 miles.

[youtube]2Tce6U-k1AY[/youtube]

Hello SB,
I noticed your Old Man Mountain front rack on the Beast. How is that working out for you? Have you loaded it with much weight? How does the handling change with a heavy load in front? Would you recommend it to others?

I've been considering a front mount for 48V, 10Ah with another 48V, 10Ah inside the triangle. With a suspension front fork, disc brake, and no mounting points, the OMM rack looks like a good, sturdy solution. Any comments you have about mounting and using it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Outstanding build Shinyballs!

One of the best done hubmotor bikes out there. Congratulations!

Wow, what a flattering compliment :oops: Thank you! With all the blood, sweat, heart and beers poured by the members in making/converting there bikes, I would say that We have the best ebikes compared to stock, commercial ones.

Eric said:
Hello SB,
I noticed your Old Man Mountain front rack on the Beast. How is that working out for you? Have you loaded it with much weight? How does the handling change with a heavy load in front? Would you recommend it to others?

Heaviest load I had on the rack is 20 lbs. Specs say Load Capacity is 40 lbs. but with my already heavy bike, I wouldn't go over 30 lbs. For safety when its loaded up, I limit my speed to 30mph. When its windy, I go lower to 20mph cause it feels scary when the front starts to wobble. Steering feels heavy so making high speed/slalom-like turns is a no no.
If ever I replace this rack , I will try the Faiv suspended rack - http://www.faiv.de/english/lowrider_gb.htm, its made of steel and looks better designed than the OMM.

I've been considering a front mount for 48V, 10Ah with another 48V, 10Ah inside the triangle. With a suspension front fork, disc brake, and no mounting points, the OMM rack looks like a good, sturdy solution. Any comments you have about mounting and using it would be appreciated.

I use a Carradice pannier, however you can use any bag and just do a diy mounting. A lot of these info are in the bicycle forums.

Thanks,
Eric

lester12483 said:
Thats a pretty sweet looking ebike. Do the police ever stop you and ask about it?
thx. None so far, just gave me curious looks :roll:

Shown are DC converters for my single cell charging. Either of the P/S can be used as a power source. Usually I charge my pack at 1c and when any cells reach 3.60v, the converters takes over to "balance" at 1A until all cells are 3.65v
Fechter your the MAN! ...got the right resistor and diode to trim/drop voltage from 5.1v of the NPH10S4805Ei. The tin case just gets barely warm even when charging low cells.

Some stuff used:
$2 Tin Gift box from Big Lots
Alimiminum strips as heatsink
QuickSteel steel-reinforced epoxy putty
Molex .082 & .093 pins
3mm screws
and others that are obvious in the pics

Molex pins are compressed to fit tightly with the pins - retention force of >6 lbs. Been doing the same to my bike's onboard 12v converter and it never came loose.
Also changed my saddle to a Selle Royal Premium Ellipse(Women's). Ahhhhh... ass pampered by the gel padding and elastomer suspension.

Attachments

• Copy of HPIM0836.jpg
    Copy of HPIM0836.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,981
  • Copy of HPIM0873.jpg
    Copy of HPIM0873.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,979
  • Copy of HPIM0855.jpg
    Copy of HPIM0855.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2,980
  • Copy of HPIM0840.jpg
    Copy of HPIM0840.jpg