Peter's custom bikes

peters

1 kW
Hello people,
let me show a few drawings of my next bike, any opinion is welcome. This is a shed project, building has been started.
The frame will be one piece, the colors mean only that the orange parts are made of tubes and hollow sections, the yellow is sheet steel. The room for battery is large because I already have a pack of 29s headway 40152s.
Wheels are 24".

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Attachments

• b01.png
    b01.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,370
  • b02.png
    b02.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 3,369
  • b03.png
    b03.png
    31 KB · Views: 3,370
  • b04.png
    b04.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 3,370
  • b05.png
    b05.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 3,370
  • b06.jpg
    b06.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3,370
Welding is easy especially on steel. You need a lot of heat to get steel to flow nicely though.
Grease your bearings before you put them in or they'll rust and get stuck
make the rear disk mount adjustable or it'll drive you nuts trying to align it
check the roundness of the steer tube and bb shell when you weld
Looks good

learning to weld:
DSCN5817.JPG
Well, the head tube is not round any more, but the bearing still fits though.
The seat tube is temporarily welded to a piece of hollow section, otherwise it bent significantly at the top tube joint.

Some progress:
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I think it's not bad for a first frame build. It will look better after sandblasting.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 3,016
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 3,017
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 3,017
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 3,364
Thanks guys!
Some update: L-profile is welded on the left side around that will hold the side plate, and rear bracing is added. Still need to grind the corner welds. I decided to fabricate the rear fork of steel sheet instead of hollow sections, because it is a better way to make fine curves and corners.
frame06.jpg
A friend of mine cut the thread in the BB shell with his self-built CNC lathe:
cnc1.jpg
View attachment 1
cnc3.jpg

And the bike assembled. Wheelbase is around 1260mm, BB center height is 360mm (unloaded).
Next is to varnish the frame, then installing battery pack and circuits. I will ride soon :)
DSCN5956.JPG
DSCN5960.JPG
DSCN5963.JPG
DSCN5965.JPG

Welding is really not that hard, but the difficulty is that after welding and cooling the shape and angles of the metal change due to the thermal expansion, and it can be several millimeters.

Thanks for the comments. I pedaled just 20km, it is fine.
I cannot measure at the moment, but I expect the total weight around 45-48kg, including the batteries and electronics.

The frame front part is 9.9kg, the swingarm is 3.2, it is 13.1kg alltogether. It is heavy, but strong :).
It is made of 2mm thick steel sheet, because at the beginning I didn't have an idea about the strength and rigidity and I didn't want to risk. Now I see that 1.5 or 1.2mm sheet would be strong enough, maybe 1mm also, so 2/3 of this weight is easily achieavable. Maybe my next frame :)

Hi, the frame looks great!
Do you have a special long bottom bracket so that the pedals don't touch the battery case?
How wide is the frame? Is it still confortable to pedal?

Back