Added suspension, FS custom cruiser

Gday all,

Both of my ebikes have served me well for a number of years now, but I'm getting bored and itching to try something new.

I thought I might try to add some suspension to my chopper, sure has been challenging so far, not bored anymore.
What started out looking like this jesse_profile.jpgthen looked like this for a number of yearschopper.jpgand has served me very well, however its a little short on the wheelbase and the range from the 10 a/h headway pack just isn't enough for a decent ride.

So currently it looks like thisadd sus (1).JPGadd sus (2).JPGadd sus (3).JPG Seems to be working so far.

I'm going to make a new battery box that use's the entire triangle and upgrade to 24s 2p 16ah lipo using 8 x 6s 8ah zippys.

I also have an 8x8 golden motor from 2008 with 31.5 width magnets and stator that I've had, but not used for years, (it's quite torquey) that's going on it. The phase wires have been upgraded to 12g silicon wire, thanks to Oldhaq, not easy to get thru the axle, I've heard, so cheers Oldhaq.IMG_1051 (Custom).JPG Can't wait to get it going , but as usual it's taking more time and cash than I thought it might. :roll:

Mattster

Scored a set of Manitou Sherman Sliders tripleclamp forks for the frontsherman tank.JPGfor 100 bucks, they seem to be in great condition. :D I'm gonna have to build my own 20" front wheel with a 20mm axle hub though to suit these forks, already bought one of these little suckers hope evo 2 hub (Custom).JPG just need a rim and some spokes now.

Nanu nanu
Good to see you sorted out the pivot and shock mounts and it's coming together.
That wheelbase should make it a nice lowrider on the 20" wheels. Still going for 16" moped tyres?
Looking forward to taking it for a spin, it'll haul arse too.

Hey Rob,

I would go for the 16" motorcycle tyres if I could find any in Oz at a reasonable price. They seem to be quite inexpensive in the states and hideously expensive over here. (if one can find any at all)
Shipping from overseas is a killer on 'em too.

Might just have to stick with the 20x3.0 fatti-o's for the time being, I'm thinking about trying some Mr. Tuffy puncture proof stuff in them.

I would very much like to put one of these fluted seat post's on the bike but can only find them in 22.2mm, the seat post mount is 31.8mm thoughgold fluted seatpost.jpg
Can't find a shim that will do it, anyone got any ideas ?

Going for a black and gold theme on this bike.

thewmatusmoloki said:
I would very much like to put one of these fluted seat post's on the bike but can only find them in 22.2mm, the seat post mount is 31.8mm though
Can't find a shim that will do it, anyone got any ideas ?

My best idea is "don't do that". Those posts are weak aluminum, made as gimmicky styling items for children's racing bikes. You will bend yours into unintended shapes if you try it. 22.2mm is the same diameter as the grip section of a handlebar.

Any post that channels water into your frame is a bad idea, too.

This bike will be running at 99v hot off the charger.

I want to put an Infineon 18 fet controller on it but can't decide on the 4110 or the 4115 series, not sure if the 4110's can reliably handle this voltage.

Does anyone have any experience with running 4110 controllers at 100 or so volts and if so, do they handle it ?

Cheers

3mm aluminium box section cut down then bent into the bike's diamond shape for the batteries ....box1.JPGbox2.JPG going to be welded together tomorrow, should be able to fit 6mm padding around the edges and 3mm on the side covers

I like how where you've bent that Au it seems to be able to take it without cracking along the bend. You know what grade it is?
Also looks like the extruders had 8A zippy's in mind :p

20mm each side eh, should future proof it for whatever motor comes out in the next 500 or so years i reckon
LOL
CLASSIC

Nice looking bike. A lot of power for radial lacing though. Is there no cross pattern that will work?

friendly1uk said:
A lot of power for radial lacing though. Is there no cross pattern that will work?

It is a lot of power for radial, but I don't really have much choice, they only come like that these days.

I did build a hub motor into a 20" rim once, years ago with the one cross pattern and it was quite strong, but my fingers were numb for weeks afterwards from trying to get the spokes into position, then the outside edge of the cheap rim broke :cry:

Don"t really want to go thru that again, besides I've got plenty of spare spokes for this wheel.

Yes, I've heard that, and have no reason to doubt it.
It's just that despite using hub wheels over the years with 12,13 & 14g spokes it's never happened to me

In my case it was the edge's of the rim that hold the tyres on that failed (they splayed outwards), twice now with chinese rims.

edit, finally found an old pic of that rim, it worked extremely well until this rather awesome fail...splayed rim.JPG

The aluminium battery box has been welded up by ES member brettster. onya Brett, thanks heaps man.

what a beautyIMG_1072.JPGIMG_1073.JPGIMG_1075.JPG

Can't really thank Brett enough, he also fabbed up the torque arms for me from a piece of 20mm scrap steel using my angle grinder, drill and a file ! LEGEND !

Patience grasshopper, unfortunately I'm at the mercy of china post for a lot of the items.
Not to mention the last 3 lipo batteries, hopefully HobbyKing has some old guy out there with a shovel mining the lithium right now for me. :p

I have been receiving some gear for it though, here's some pics :mowa stem.jpgrotor.jpg 4000 odd lumens oughta keep the moths comin at me4000 lumen light.jpgbars.JPGchainwheel & cranks.JPGI've read some good reviews about these Hygia brakes, so thought I'd give em a go (and the're gold)hygia elite brakes.jpgcontroller & CA.JPGThe front wheel was a "challenge" to put together, had to resort to the LBS for the final dishing to be true, just went in there with a friendly attitude struck up a conversation with the mechanic and he did it for free :D Looks great I reckonfront wheel.JPGNow its just a matter of getting the last batteries, building a custom stainless steel layback seatpost, a whacking it all together ..... Oh and of course the mirrorsmirrors.jpg

Cheers

Back