Zipper ZI-STE900IV
Fuel consumption 0.5 liter/hour
Capacity 2.5 liter
weight 10kg with fuel

i54_P1070547s.JPG

i54_P1070544s.JPG

i54_P1070555s.JPG

i54_P1070546s.JPG

Someone call homeland security. Seems to be a small nuclear device on the back of a bike... :lol:

More details please!

Are you converting the 220V down to 48V to run the motor directly?

Or is it just used to charge the battery once depleted?

What's the expected range?

Kudos

Same question: What's the cruise range, with a charged battery, and full tank?

That's a pretty steep head angle...Is this a pretty slow cruiser?

It's just addon for long journeys.

20ah 48v lifepo4 battery with smartpie motor.
Range approx 70km with single charge.
Generator connected to 2x6A chargers =12A
Charge time 1.6hour you can charge while resting or driving
Max speed 35km/h
You can charge battery fully 3x times with full fuel tank means total range approx 280km

Manitou brand suspension forks use a reverse arch instead of the fork arch in front..
reverse arch is stronger/ stiffer due to rotational force of the front wheel under hard braking, etc..
(notice the dropouts are forward facing.. so the fork is not on backwards..)

KMB said:
Is it just me or are your forks bending backwards?

Spruklys said:
It's just addon for long journeys.

20ah 48v lifepo4 battery with smartpie motor.
Range approx 70km with single charge.
Generator connected to 2x6A chargers =12A
Charge time 1.6hour you can charge while resting or driving
Max speed 35km/h
You can charge battery fully 3x times with full fuel tank means total range approx 280km

Is there any harm to charging and draining the battery at the same time ?

riba2233 said:
athletic91 said:
Is there any harm to charging and draining the battery at the same time ?

There is no harm, because that is impossible. Battery can either be charging or discharging.
It can also be acting like a big charged capacitor that is being neither charged nor discharged, if the controller draw is equal to the generator/charger input

I've decided to shave most of what I have down to this. I suggest you get a second bike, keep the electric stuff on bike A, get a small gasoline motor and have that directly power bicycle B.

The jack of all trades is master of none.

bowlofsalad said:
I've decided to shave most of what I have down to this. I suggest you get a second bike, keep the electric stuff on bike A, get a small gasoline motor and have that directly power bicycle B.

I disagree. The gasoline engine for vehicle propulsion is the one that attempts to be a jack of all trades; it needs to run reasonably well under a wide range of speeds, loads and throttle settings. A gasoline engine designed for driving an electric generator needs a much more limited range, and can be made more lightweight and efficient.
If this actually has been done with the gasoline engine running this generator or not, is a different question.

GalFisk said:
bowlofsalad said:

I disagree. The gasoline engine for vehicle propulsion is the one that attempts to be a jack of all trades; it needs to run reasonably well under a wide range of speeds, loads and throttle settings. A gasoline engine designed for driving an electric generator needs a much more limited range, and can be made more lightweight and efficient.
If this actually has been done with the gasoline engine running this generator or not, is a different question.

The charging process is far from perfectly efficient, there is a lot of losses in the conversions going on, more than you might realize. The generator would need to be larger and heavier than just a gasoline motor would need to be to output the same amount of power, the generator is doing more than just turning a shaft. If we were just comparing the generator to a small gasoline conversion kit, the gasoline conversion kit would come out lighter, but there is also the battery, charger, and electric motor to add to the weight of the generator concept. The generator concept comes out to be wildly heavier, it's strange that someone would attempt to argue otherwise. Some folks use gearboxes, or mid drives for their gasoline motors that over come the issues you mentioned. Electric motors have efficiency curves at various RPMs as well as torque output curves at various RPMs, similar principles and issues relate on either 'side'. Try not to mistaken me for a gasoline lover, I am merely trying to present an idea with equality.

For power to go from the gas motor, to the inverter/converter, charger, battery, controller and then to the electric motor is expensive, very heavy, overly complex and far from efficient. You'd get wildly more power to the wheel just driving the gas motor alone with a direct chain or a mid drive type setup.

To me, the only advantage that comes from this generator/electric bicycle idea is the ability to shut off the generator while riding through paths that restrict motor usage. It's an interesting idea (one I considered myself many years ago), but it comes out to be a bad one. I'd just cut out the middle man and go pure gas if I couldn't handle finding an outlet and the range limitations.

If it were up to me, I'd just have him put a bunch of batteries on a trailer behind a recumbent trike and allow him to discover how happily just about any place will let you plug in your charger, especially if you are buying something or offering them a little cash. But I suspect his goal is to not have to worry about stopping to charge a battery, which is why I made my suggestion, ditch the generator and go pure gasoline. It'll be lighter, more efficient, and all around better with one or two exceptions.

The idea is good the real problem is finding a generator small enough to carry with you so you hardly notice it.
Realistically you can only ride for part of the day so the rest of the day is available for charging so a very small generator is all that is required.
I have seen small generators made from 'weed whacker motors', we call them whipper snipers. Even those are bigger than needed for the job but may be the only solution at hand.
Here is a very good conversion
http://www.torcman.de/faszination/praxis/jochen/honda-gx35_430-30.htm

I don't know what it's final result was, or if there was one, but there was a thread here on ES about a generator to be built from an RC-type gas engine and an RC-type electric motor, to then run a set of RC-type chargers for their LiPo packs.

why not just carry a charger and stop and charge up occasionally. your butt gets really sore after a few hours anyway so you could stop and take a break while it charges. you can even stop at a gas station if you like them. pay them the 11 cents/kWh.

Because continuity of range.

It's what the Gen2 Prius hackers do - run EV only in electric stealth mode about town. Then fuel for the long highway haul.
Perfect.

It would make an interesting project to make a generator out of this
http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/__28238__NGH_GT9_9cc_Gas_Engine_With_Rcexl_CDI_Ignition.html
The whole thing could come in under 1 kg.

Modbikemax said:
As is usually the case someone has already done it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1wzOx_JbU

Nice!! Thanks for the link!

Back