Cannondale Super V

don27dog

10 mW
Setup Crystalyte Phoenix II 4840. 52v Lifepo4 20 AH battery
Here is what I am starting with

Next step was constructing a battery box

I then wrapped the box in 3D carbon fiber vinyl. The box is attached to the frame with 4- 5mm bolts for holding water bottles. The box is also held in place by and 1 1/2" U bolt around the head tube and 1 1/8" U Bolt around the seat post.
Here it is on the bike.

Next step is line the inside of the box with 1/4" foam around the battery and finish mounting the controller. Then on to the last hurdle. What to do with the dropouts. I ordered a set of Dr. Bass torque arms. They arrived very quickly and look wonderful but I am a little worried about the side with the rear derailleur.

I ordered dp420 epoxy which was recommended on the Dr. Bass torque arm thread. It should arrive on Monday so I am going to give that a try unless someone else has a better suggestion?

On my SuperV's I always include the derailuer hanger to help provide a deeper dropout. I only run a TA on the LH non-drive side which has proven to be fine for my 2kW DD motor nearing 10,000 miles.

Large battery box looks good. I've fit 20Ah in that spot but since I never need 1/2 that much range I prefer not to carry the extra weight/bulk.

Reinstalled the original derailleur mount and smaller TA on the geared side. I will most likely pull it back apart and glue the Dr. Bass TA's in place once the epoxy arrives. Anyway I took it out on an easy 15 mile ride this afternoon and so far so good but I didn't really push it too hard other than a couple of downhill bursts to see how it handled at 40 mph.

I ended up bolting on the Dr. Bass TA's. I didn't want to drill as big of hole that was already in the TA so I found a roll pin that I cut and drove into the TA allowing me to drill and tap a smaller 5mm bolt through the swing arm to hold the TA's in place.

Had some time to ride this weekend. I put 77 miles in on it and so far so good. It looks like it is going to fit my needs well as most of my riding is done on the back roads and smooth trails. Thinking of a set of marzocchi jr bombers up front and fox float on the rear unless some has a better idea for suspension upgrades?

Definitely go with Fox/Marzzochi dampening. It would appear you have the short travel swingarm but I would measure travel 1st before buying the shock.

Magura hydro rim brake for the rear if you can find one decently priced. German seller often has them on eBay for about $100 shipped and they work so well on rear of these bikes. I'll dig around for the user/listing. EDIT - Here's current listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-brake-hydraulic-rim-Magura-HS-11-105-cm-new-/371109398291?pt=US_Brakes&hash=item5667d80713

Arrived in about a week. Your cable brake might be fine but with cable I had hard time maintaining proper adjustment feel as the suspension travelled plus they squealed which the hydros solved as well. Love me some magura hydro rim brakes.

If your swingarm doesn't have the cross piece close to the tire tread 26" 2.4" CST Cyclops tires provide a nice smooth and durable ride. If it does have the cross brace the biggest tire I've found that fits is Panaracer Uf Da! 2.3" width. It does look like you have the cross brace so go for the Uf Da! If you want fattest street/urban tread.

Thanks for the advice. The rear Shock is 6.5x1.5. Should I stick with a coil spring due to the weight of the battery or do you think an air shock will be ok?

I've been using air spring Fox Float and it's been okay although I pump it up to between 225-250psi. I might be a little lighter than your rig?

I always figured I'd replace with a coil over if/when needed but so far so good. Somebody recommended a good reasonable brand shock and if I find the thread or info I'll post back.

EDIT - here it is: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62160&hilit=+Shock

I had a little time to work on it this weekend. Cut down the Battery Box then installed Marzocchi Jr T Bombers. Still waiting on a Fox Rp23 rear then next up will be tire and brake upgrades. I also threw it on the scale out of curiosity and it weighs in at 75.8 lbs.

Ykick said:
Definitely go with Fox/Marzzochi dampening. It would appear you have the short travel swingarm but I would measure travel 1st before buying the shock.

If your swingarm doesn't have the cross piece close to the tire tread 26" 2.4" CST Cyclops tires provide a nice smooth and durable ride. If it does have the cross brace the biggest tire I've found that fits is Panaracer Uf Da! 2.3" width. It does look like you have the cross brace so go for the Uf Da! If you want fattest street/urban tread.

Just finished putting on new tires. Ended up going with Kenda Nevegals. Went with 2.7" on the front and 2.35" on the rear. I wanted to take it out for a test ride but darkness, 20 mph winds and sub freezing temps. ........ Tomorrow is another day.

I haven't had much time to work on it with the holidays but I did manage to service the front shock. I took it out in the snow last weekend and the tires handled great.

Well winter is over. Installed Topeak fenders yesterday. Next up brake upgrade.

Battery box and the fork look good and beefy. Know what you're gonna do for brakes yet?

Searching ebay for a front rim with disc. Will then install hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. I haven't decided on brand yet.

don27dog said:
Approaching 10k miles on this thing.

It's nice when a build keeps working as planned. :)

(SB Cruiser is around 9500 miles in the last several years, IIRC, but it's seen a lot of changes in that time to help it get that far)

Well it was a good run..... was nice here in the northeast today so went out for a ride and the battery shut down after only a mile or so. Peddled this beast home and threw it back on the charger. Went out again this afternoon and same thing... i guess it is time for a new Battery. It is hard to argue with the longitivity I have gotten out of the original lifepo4 battery. It has been a while since I have been in the battery market and I am sure things have changed. I would love to shed a few pounds if possible. What are my best lightweight options that can give me 52v approx 20ah and 40 Amp continuous discharge?

don27dog said:
Well it was a good run..... was nice here in the northeast today so went out for a ride and the battery shut down after only a mile or so. Peddled this beast home and threw it back on the charger. Went out again this afternoon and same thing... i guess it is time for a new Battery. It is hard to argue with the longitivity I have gotten out of the original lifepo4 battery. It has been a while since I have been in the battery market and I am sure things have changed. I would love to shed a few pounds if possible. What are my best lightweight options that can give me 52v approx 20ah and 40 Amp continuous discharge?

If you're trying to minimize weight, I would research 21700 cells. They are around 70 grams each, compared to 50 grams for 18650 cells, but store more energy and can provide higher output.

14S4P of 21700 would be 8.6lb (with LGM50LT cells, 20Ah, 57.6A)
vs
14S6P of 18650 would be 9.3lb (with Samsung 35E cells, 21Ah, 48A)

Back