Kawasaki Sumo Fat Build - Bafang 48V Mid

ebinary

100 W
Just thought I'd do a quick post on my latest build. While I was waiting for my son's Sondors to arrive, I got jealous and finally built a replacement for my tried-and-true Montegue Folder (with an original Currie USPD drive in case you are wondering how long I've been eBiking) ;)

The new beast is built on the Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 donor ($549 shipped Amazon). It is a heavy donor and probably only a step up from the Mongeese of the world, but I've always ridden Kawasaki motorcycles, so I don't see that I have much of a choice ;)

Bottom line: It's everything I've ever wanted in an ebike, and I've owned many an ebike.

NOTE - EVEN WITH THE CALFORNIA EBIKES FAT KIT, YOU WILL HAVE TO CHOP OFF 20mm OF BOTTOM BRACKET. Doug's kit is meant for 100mm BBs but the Kawi has a 120.

Parts:

Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 - bottom bracket chopped to 105mm
8fun Mid Drive 750W 48V - w/ California ebike fat bike mod
52T front ring for speed (31MPH on the flat, 20% grade at 16MPH, 210lbs rider)
48V down tube battery
Blingification: Spoke POV RGB LED lights that create an animated 72dot per radian image at speeds over 7mph :) (ebay: $95/wheel)

The finished product
IMG_20150731_062450.jpg

Hacking the bottom bracket
IMG_20150726_140235.jpg

Rider view
IMG_20150726_191107.jpg

Tire size comparison to Kawasaki KLR 650 (motorcycle is the small one)!
IMG_20150724_072954.jpg

I have the same setup on my Dole but I use a 34t ring with a top speed of 25mph. Of course the bike has been lightened from the stock model. But like you I am also 210#s. I have my bottom tube pack on order and currently using lifepo4 packs mounted to a very nice alm. fat bike rack. I hope to reduce the overall weight by another 25# by changing the pack.

Enjoy your ride I sure am, Bob

Oops - didn't mean to file this post in the For Sale Section. I think I'll copy the post to the proper section.

Thanks to the admin who moved this!

deleted

dumbass said:
I have the same setup on my Dole but I use a 34t ring with a top speed of 25mph. Of course the bike has been lightened from the stock model. But like you I am also 210#s. I have my bottom tube pack on order and currently using lifepo4 packs mounted to a very nice alm. fat bike rack. I hope to reduce the overall weight by another 25# by changing the pack.

Hey Bob,

Apparently I can save a ton of weight just redoing the wheels (over 15 pounds each!), but at the end of the day, I think I'd rather have it built more like a motorcycle than like a bicycle. At 48V, I don't notice the weight.

Clean build,looks stock oem kawa.. :)

ebinary said:
dumbass said:

Hey Bob,

Apparently I can save a ton of weight just redoing the wheels (over 15 pounds each!), but at the end of the day, I think I'd rather have it built more like a motorcycle than like a bicycle. At 48V, I don't notice the weight.

Hi ebinary,

Yes I agree the 48v with a good 25a controller is quite nice. But in my case I lift my bikes on/off my car rack several times a week. And if my wife rides with me then I'm lifting hers as well. And at 68 it's starting the wear on me. And I gotta think less weight = more speed.

Bob

Back