Gazelle Tranza Carbon Folding Bike

Bas332

100 µW
20160307_121712.jpg

Found one on the internet for 250,00 euro's.
Bought another one for my wife and a spare one for parts.
The bike is built by Dahon in a limited edition of 500.
Parts are not to be found.

The frame is carbon and front fork and rear frame are crmo.
Rear hub is nexus 7 coasterbrake.
Driven by a Gazelle belt drive.
The weight is 16.4 kg.

In 2014 we went to the F1 racing track at Spa franchorchamps in Belgium.
The road from the camping to the track was a bit scary (with all the want to be racers on them)
so we decided to take a little B road.
It started vertically but hey we had a carbon bike and SEVEN speeds. :)
I guess you know what's coming. It took us 1,5 hours (5km) and we were dead at arrival.
Upon return home i would make the Tranza electric. Busy busy busy no time bla bla never came to it.

Then winter 2016 we went to Monte Carlo and Spain.
20160129_165027.jpg
The camping in Spain was situated on a HILL and the ride to the village was to say the least
a workout.

SO this time back in Amsterdam, no more excuses GET ON WITH IT.

I own a bike shop so parts come easy.
I had already build an electric "granddad" bike (Burco "crossframe" 28 1/2 wheel size) based on a crystalyte set, in 2007 :
View attachment 7
DSCN3144.jpg

Far to heavy (40 kg) with old nicad battery and Nuvinci 1.

Ordered a set which was developed for a Brompton.
http://shop.crystalyte-europe.com/home.php?cat=320
The motor in this set is for 78 mm dropouts without rollerbrake.
I insisted on a rollerbrake so I got a different motor.
Shop refused to tell me the brand. "the motor is specially made for us"...
NOT it's a:
http://www.syimotor.com/products_detail/&productId=81a09d70-96ba-49b5-8a34-48e76ac5020e.html

The battery was situated on the front pannier. Motor and battery on the front resulted in
ridiculous steering behaviour.

So battery on the rear carrier and motor in the front.
Everything went a oke, fitted the motor in the front fork connected the wires and we where up and running!
1 2 3 4 5 speed of the nexus 7 where all useless.
So I installed a nexus 8 hub.
Minimal change…

Oh well change the gearing then. Oops no parts available from Gazelle.
So here comes the Gates Belt drive.
Started with 60 in the front and 22 in the rear. Again minimal change.
Now 70 in the front and 22 in the rear this seems to work.
Now only 1 2 3 of the nexus 8 are useless.

Enough talk let's go for facts and pictures:

Parts:
Seat:Selle San Marco Rolls
Belt: Gates Carbon Drive CDX
Cranks: FSA
Tyres: [strike]Vredestein[/strike] Upgraded with Schwalbe
Shifter: Alphine 8 SL-5503
Brake lever: [strike]Kink Restrain[/strike] Upgraded with AEST CNC brake lever
Front brake: Shimano rollerbrake [strike] BR-IM41-F[/strike] upgrade with need to look
Rear Hub: Shimano Nexus 8 SG-C6000-8C
Motor: SHENYI DGW12R
Controller: CT-MINI-BASIC 36V 15A
Display: e-DR KT-LCD1 V2.5 5J
Battery: 36V 10A
Battery case: http://www.ksreention.com/product/detail/54

Specs:
Weigth 23,8 kg
Top speed 31 km/h
Range no idea yet

Pictures:
IMG_5342.jpg
View attachment 4
IMG_5340.jpg
IMG_5339.jpg
IMG_5338.jpg
IMG_5337.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you could upload copies of those pics to free image hosting sites, like ie imgur.com or similar, and put either links or just embed the images in the thread? Or better yet, upload the images to this webiste and put links in your posts, that way it is easy for people to watch your pics, pics are embedded into the thread and pics are stored on ES server that is running 24/7.
It makes little sense to post pics on your server when that server is only running 25% of the time.

Why do you limit your server uptime? Servers are for 24/7 - 365 :D

macribs said:
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you could upload copies of those pics to free image hosting sites, like ie imgur.com or similar, and put either links or just embed the images in the thread? Or better yet, upload the images to this webiste and put links in your posts, that way it is easy for people to watch your pics, pics are embedded into the thread and pics are stored on ES server that is running 24/7.
It makes little sense to post pics on your server when that server is only running 25% of the time.

Why do you limit your server uptime? Servers are for 24/7 - 365 :D

Here in the house we are close to a fascism power regime. :)
That's why the server shuts down overnight. (down from 24:00 till 07:00 so not running 25% of the time)

But yes you are right, I will post the pics on the ES server.

There they are :D

Man that Gazelle Tranza turned out nice. Really compact and nice looking. How does it fold?
With only 500 made you got a special bike there, be sure to use good quality UV protection wax to shield the nice carbon fiber frame.

Really liked how it turned out, and the belt drive is a nice touch too. No more stress when riding in and out of camp.

macribs said:
There they are :D

Man that Gazelle Tranza turned out nice. Really compact and nice looking. How does it fold?
With only 500 made you got a special bike there, be sure to use good quality UV protection wax to shield the nice carbon fiber frame.

Really liked how it turned out, and the belt drive is a nice touch too. No more stress when riding in and out of camp.

Thank you! And thank you for the UV protection advise.

How it folds:

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_53482.jpg

View attachment 3

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

That bike is small enough folded to bring on a train or the metro for commuters. Too bad it was such a limited production run.
Enjoy your new build.

He Bas i have also al gazelle Tranza
I am locking fore a rear damping rubber do you have a suggestion were I can by them

Attachments

• 20160824_103308 b.jpg
    20160824_103308 b.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,925
  • 20160824_103308 b.jpg
    20160824_103308 b.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,925
Bas332 said:
For my next build a www.pendix.com system is in the house....

Nice build, link doesn't work..

Here it is https://pendix.com/

+ fyi as I Google the model this comes up..

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=viewProduct&reference=1113/09&lng=en

tonhensen said:
He Bas i have also al gazelle Tranza
I am locking fore a rear damping rubber do you have a suggestion were I can by them

Hi Tonhensen,

The rear demper unit is called elastomeer and was made by BASF.

I have BRAND new elastomeers in the house...

Make me an offer I can not refuse. :)

Tranza is still going strong. No major updates or major brakedowns. Looking for a sgc60608c Di2 hub because that hub has needle bearings. Respoked the backwheel, cross lacing does not work on small wheels. Water and E bike do not like each other...
A simple glue gun https://www.bison.nl/nl/product.6311398 makes it easy to keep the water out.

This rear sprocket https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-parts-city-bike/belt-drive/rear-sprockets-for-belt-drive/gates-cdx-rear-sprocket-26-teeth-shimano-sa-silver-715642/

[strike]Sure fit does not work. Better use normal fit. CARBON DRIVE CDX 22T SI-1817 ( I know 22T vs 26T, that is not the point, the point is the mounting) :) [/strike]

I did not know what sure fit means.. It means that it will fit on Shimano and Sram and many others. NOT that you can leave the round spring securing the sprocket out.

More updates to come...

Bike and van are still going strong. Battery is almost dead BUT I found a battery guru (and hired him to work for my company immediately) who can replace the cells.
I changed the front rollerbrake for a later model, which unfortunately comes with the impossible thingy that connects the cable to the rollerbrake.

Back