AWD e-Drift Trike

rlynd3

1 mW
OK I think its time to start a build blog...
big-wheel.jpg
First, this is a project I wanted to take on, to learn more about electric vehicles / bikes and challenge my mechanical engineering abilities. (Super glad I found this forum!) So one of the goals is to do as much as possible myself, with-in reason, and sense I'm not out to bankrupt my family I also want to keep it economical...

When picking out a project I originally thought I would restore/rebuild my Grandfather's old 1950's go kart and convert it to electric. Then I came across this video...
[youtube]ZSXAEPdABtU[/youtube]
And a flood of memories of racing my brother down the cul-de-sac hill, avoiding certain death, skidding on a rickety plastic toy, and I thought, I MUST BUILD THIS!

So I borrowed my Mom's MIG welder and started sourcing a 20" BMX frame with the idea i wanted to build EVERYTHING from scratch. (Sadly I just junked my old childhood Challenger frame a few months ago) But after pricing out forks, wheels and a free wheel hub (I really want to keep the "Big Wheel" pedals) I found an open box Triad Notorious drift trike on Amazon for a screaming deal. So I pulled the trigger and was committed...
Triad-Notorious.jpg

So here is what I've (mostly) decided for the project.

While the "All wheel drive" in the title is technically true its a bit misleading. I really want to keep the feel of a big wheel so the front will be pedal power and then plan is to drive the back wheels with the motor. I considered a front HUB motor but feel putting the power to the rear slicks will give a better "power-drift" experience. (It also forces me to use the welder :wink:)

[pre]
=== Electronics ===
Motor: QS 1000w 90 [peak ~4-5kW]
Controller: VOTOL EM 50
Battery: Custom 12s5p pack (Samsung 30Q) [later upgrade to 15-18s]

=== Mechanical ===
- 1" Aluminum axle [36" long]
- FYH RABP1 racing oil filled bearings
- 1/4" Steel bearing hanger and motor mount base
- 11x8.5x6 Burris slick racing tires
- 10x6 DWT aluminum wheels
- Aluminum 3 hole wheel hub
- Sprocket/Chain/Belt drive is TBD
[/pre]

triad-rear.jpgView attachment 2
More to come...

FWIW, I think Grin Tech has hubmotor wheels for unicycles that let you have pedals and motor up front, so you could have that in addition to rear motors.

Quick update. Got the motor and controller ordered last night. Now I wait... So turning my attention to the modular battery pack design.

The frame is now rolling and looks like a beast with all that tire on the back. Good thing I'm putting PVC on them because it's basically a drag trike right now without a differential... :D

View attachment 1
15473163531940.jpg

I'll post more details on the frame/axel modifications soon.

it's been 5 years since I built mine I did 3,
but I prefer the front wheel motor is much more efficient and the glide is better and I mastered more easily
and it's simpler, no chain

I have a speed of 45 km / h and that's enough to drifter

190112091145527303.jpg

190112091145702096.jpg

190112091145950266.jpg

Nice! @tahitiboob The frame looks great. Did you build that from scratch?

Where are the batteries? What size motor? And how much power are you sending it for 45kmh?

yes I built it from the beginning to the end
it's a magic pie 3 engine in a 20 inch rim
I have lipo multistar 16AH 12S he take 40A in a backpack or then in the back in a small bag I would make you a photo

I also do the one I prefer it with the seat I have a good grip and I send 360 to infinity

190112113322750734.jpg

Back