KMX Electric Trike

CTMonn

100 µW
First, I would like to thank everyone who has posted their creations, especially those of you who have made KMX builds.

I've been wanting to build an electric trike for a couple years. This past January, Utah Trikes placed their KMX Frame Kit on sale for $599. Now, two months later, I'm posting a finished project. My primary mode of transportation is a wheelchair, so an off-the-shelf trike wouldn't do. I went with the frame kit so that there would be less for me to discard. The problem with the KMX is that it sits low to the ground. I raised the seat and put the tallest rims/tires that would fit so that it would be easier for me to get into and out of.

In the build:
KMX Trike Kit from Utah trikes
Schwalbe 26" Big Ben tires
Sta Tru XC-V Front rims mounted on KMX hubs.
SHIMANO SM-RT56 180mm Disc Brakes
SHIMANO M375 Post Mount Brake Calipers
Four 3S 11.1V 50C 5200mAh RC Lipo Battery Packs (11.5 miles per charge normal riding. 7.5 miles at full power)
Leaf Bike 48V 1500W rear hub motor on a 26" rim (Top speed so far 38mph)
GRIN Torque Arm V2
Hafny Stainless Steel Lens Mirrors
XCSOURCE Mountain Bike Crankset (footrest)

Side.JPG

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Battery Box.JPG

How does it handle? My KMX with 20 X 26" wheels gets twitchy after 25 mph. Your handlebars don't look stock. They have an interesting twist.

Here is how I raised my seat made a 5 inch spacer I am a old man and now getting in and out is a snap
all done.jpg

calfeetwenty said:
How does it handle? My KMX with 20 X 26" wheels gets twitchy after 25 mph. Your handlebars don't look stock. They have an interesting twist.

The handlebars are what came with my frame kit. The pivot point for the handlebars do not match any of the assembly instructions or videos that I was able to locate. There are now machined aluminum caps covering the tubes instead of washers. The steering crossbar appears to be a redesign, so I am guessing that the handlebars are a redesign as well. It handles quite well up to 30mph. It is fine at full speed unless you hit a rock, then it gets twitchy.

IMG_20190403_135837594.jpg

epower-1 said:
Here is how I raised my seat made a 5 inch spacer I am a old man and now getting in and out is a snap

Your post was one of the ones that I reviewed thoroughly before making my purchase. I may raise my seat higher at a later date, but for now, the tall rims/tires and the raised seat are enough. I raised my seat by cutting off a trapezoidal piece from the boom and placing it between the frame and seat. I also 3D printed covers for both ends of the trapezoid. I am using the hollow tube to tidy the wiring, which still needs some work. I will likely cut the wires to the appropriate length at some point.

View attachment 1

you have done a really nice job on your build
I will follow with interest
it is great to see what people do with the kmx

The Toecutter said:
Did you ever measure your ground clearance? I'm curious to see what the 26" rims up front have raised it to and may later make such an upgrade to my own KMX build.

The ride height is 8 5/16 high.

CTMonn said:
The ride height is 8 5/16 high.

Thanks!

Mine has a ground clearance currently at 5 and 1/8". I'm using 20" wheels in the front with a 26" wheel in the back, with 1.5" thick Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard tires up front and a 1.5" thick Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour in the rear, running adam333's front suspension kit set to 60 psi.

Given the state of some of the roads around here, that extra 3.5" or so in ground clearance could come in very handy.

How prone to tipping is your vehicle? Or do you not push it to its limits due to risk?

I like your build. It appears to be offroadable with competence and should also do well over rough/pothole-laden roads.

The Toecutter said:
How prone to tipping is your vehicle? Or do you not push it to its limits due to risk?

I like your build. It appears to be offroadable with competence and should also do well over rough/pothole-laden roads.

Oooh, I've definitely "pushed it" :) I mean, why put a 1500w motor on it otherwise. ;)

I've lifted a wheel on occasion, but it hasn't ever been scary. It does off-road nicely. I've only taken it on grass and sand, so far.

I'll see if I can take a video of it being pushed.

Here is an update for my KMX.

New items on the trike:
RAM Phone mount.
Waterproof Rear Rack Trunk Bag.
USB Rechargeable Flashing Safety Lamps.
Night Eyes- 1200 Lumen Mountain Bike Headlights.
MTB Handlebar 620 mm / 25.4 mm.
I also added a knee rest and 3D printed the mount for it.

IMG_5885A.JPG

IMG_5887A.JPG

IMG_5886A.JPG

You've kept it in pristine shape too.

Mine's all scratched-up and beaten to hell since I put 10,000 mils a year on it, including in rain and snow and going offroad, and carry 50+ lbs of groceries in it.

Do you use any protective coatings for the paint? What sort of use does it get(miles per day/year, use in all weather conditions, offroad, ect)?

Any plans to upgrade it for more range or add suspension?

It looks great thus far.

Nice toy for a wheelchair user! I converted a 350W 36V elcheepo scooter into a very nice 3rd wheel for my chair.

I'm jealous! But my primary goal is a lightweight attachment I can throw in my car and then use at a venue or in the city.
For such use, this rig works and goes nearly 20mph and 5 mi, but I want more!!!

I live in a very hilly area of NJ (Schooleys Mountain) and there are several local roads that this thing needs more torque for. I need more power AND range!
Also, a reverse!

So I joined this forum hoping for help and information. In my first post I went into detail about what I've tried to get reverse rotation:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108813
There are so many things available on the net, but it's totally confusing! I'd like a 500W hub/wheel motor, a commensurate controller, and a bigger battery. It would be nice if my multi-function display and throttle assy could stay but not a deal breaker.
Help/coaching much appreciated!

Attachments

• E7687684-78C6-4009-88FD-027317FC347E.jpeg
    E7687684-78C6-4009-88FD-027317FC347E.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 817
The Toecutter said:
You've kept it in pristine shape too.
Do you use any protective coatings for the paint? What sort of use does it get(miles per day/year, use in all weather conditions, offroad, ect)?
Any plans to upgrade it for more range or add suspension?
It looks great thus far.
I put @ 800 miles on it last year (between March and June) before I broke my leg. This year, I've only put another 1500 miles on it. It has been raining almost every day and I only ride it when it is nice out. The only off-roading I have done is across grass. I will be getting batteries with longer range. No special coatings on the paint. I have considered Adam's suspension, but I do most of my riding on bike paths. There was a section of road, that I traveled often, that was really rough but they re-paved it. :)

pfcs49 said:
Nice toy for a wheelchair user! I converted a 350W 36V elcheepo scooter into a very nice 3rd wheel for my chair.
I'm jealous! But my primary goal is a lightweight attachment I can throw in my car and then use at a venue or in the city.
For such use, this rig works and goes nearly 20mph and 5 mi, but I want more!!!
I live in a very hilly area of NJ (Schooleys Mountain) and there are several local roads that this thing needs more torque for. I need more power AND range!
Also, a reverse!
There are so many things available on the net, but it's totally confusing! I'd like a 500W hub/wheel motor, a commensurate controller, and a bigger battery. It would be nice if my multi-function display and throttle assy could stay but not a deal breaker.
Help/coaching much appreciated!

For light weight, I highly recommend the FreeWheel. I use mine weekly for yard work. I have also taken it on many vacations and it performs well off road and on cobblestones.
FW-FreeWheel-3__27424.1598997163.690.460.jpg

The heavier option that I have is an original PDQ Power Trike.
powertrikextra.jpg
I have swapped out the lead acid batteries for Lithium Ion flat packs that are much lighter. It has gone to the Canadian Rockies, Seattle, Las Vegas, Vancouver, and Hawaii. It doesn't have reverse, but there is a company (link below) that can convert it. They are in the UK, but perhaps they can tell you how to convert your scooter (or sell you a kit).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huADEIQ7iG4

If I were getting one today, I would buy the Triride T-Rocks. 2000W motor, Fat tire, disk brakes, dual batteries, and reverse.
http://www.trirideitalia.com/en/triride-t-rocks/#tab-2-1
TriRide-T-Rocks-510x464.jpg

Back