DH Comp Rotomax Mid drive

Feist92

10 mW
Ive been absorbing info from this site for quite some time but figured it was about time I posted what Im trying to do.

I got the ebike bug a couble of years ago and made a rushed decision to buy a Rotomax 150 from hobby king.
Almost as soon as I got the motor things got busy at work and life and has sat in a box buring away in the back of my mind. Ive finally decided this should be a priority for me as the traffic getting to work is getting worse.
Excuse the rough CAD (btw I didnt draw any of the base bike parts)

Im not sure what to do with the batteries but I have a bunch of prismatic lipo cell that Ill probably use and I want a Lebowski based motor controller coz they're awesome. I bought a couple of his chips around the time I bought the motor but never did anything with them. The biggest Issue I think Ill have will be with making a power stage capable of running this motor up to it limits.
Im fairly keen to see how this thing does as Im yet to find anyone else running this motor.
Updates will unfortunately be sporadic and infrequent

Attachments

• Drive train L.PNG
    Drive train L.PNG
    102.1 KB · Views: 4,507
  • Drive train R.PNG
    Drive train R.PNG
    120.6 KB · Views: 4,507
Ive tidied up the cad a bit and started machining the main drive train block. Ive still got 3 opps to go on this so its a wee way off yet.
Drivetrain R2.PNG
20190515_193502.jpg

Nice plan and work so far. Controllers for these large RC motors have proven challenging for bike use so far which is why you don't see a whole lot of them run to full potential. Looks like a nice compact mounting solution.

Have you given any thought to using the swing-arm pivot as the jackshaft location so you can eliminate all chain tensioners? Did you place the jackshaft in that location to promote any particular suspension behavior like anti-squat?

I'll be keeping an eye on this build. Good luck and again nice work so far!

Love the CAD and machine work! I use Fusion 360 for all my builds. Geek time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feist92 said:
Im fairly keen to see how this thing does as Im yet to find anyone else running this motor.

I thought about using the larger RC motors. You may have issues with cooling. I think you also may run into problems with it being open to the ferromagnetic elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanGT86 said:
Nice plan and work so far. Controllers for these large RC motors have proven challenging for bike use so far which is why you don't see a whole lot of them run to full potential. Looks like a nice compact mounting solution.

Have you given any thought to using the swing-arm pivot as the jackshaft location so you can eliminate all chain tensioners? Did you place the jackshaft in that location to promote any particular suspension behavior like anti-squat?

I'll be keeping an eye on this build. Good luck and again nice work so far!
The controller will be the limiting factor for a long while, Im thinking that Ill have to be fairly progressive with my expectation due to my lack of money/ knowledge. Ill probably have to start with a generic chinese controller then work my way up.

That was what I was hopping to do but unfortunately this swing arm is remarkably hard to clear with a chain. I wish I had but how it is, is the only way I could get it to fit and Ill still have to do some weird things with the lower part of the chain line. At some point Ill build my own frame but this will have to do for now at least

e-Sprocket said:
Love the CAD and machine work! I use Fusion 360 for all my builds. Geek time.

Thanks, Im using solidworks for the CAD and Fusion for CAM. Ive not been able to get my head around the modeling side of fusion yet. Im putting it down to being too thick :lol:

e-Sprocket said:
I thought about using the larger RC motors. You may have issues with cooling. I think you also may run into problems with it being open to the ferromagnetic elements.
Even if i only get 6kw peak out of this motor Ill be fairly happy and if not the stator on these motors have very convenient cut outs which I might use for water cooling

I got the lower block mostly finished and made a couple of clamps to see how they fit up
20190525_123016.jpg
20190525_135226.jpg

Thanks mate
I thought I wanted to put the controller behind the seat post but Im thinking it would be better in the triangle so now the hole for the phase cables is on the wrong side. Aside from that Im fairly happy with it
20190601_145409.jpg

Ive modified the rotor and made a new shaft to extend out the back of the motor. The pulleys are just 3d printed for now, Ill make some proper ones at some point but Im rather curious to see how the printed ones hold up.
20190615_113918.jpg
20190615_115131.jpg
20190615_115216.jpg
20190615_121947.jpg

aCeMadMod said:
What controller will you use?

Great job. Upgrade motor bearing it will help

Looking forward to end ebike😎
Do you have 135mm or 150mm rearend for comp frame
Im not sure, there are a couple on the cards atm. I was looking at a lebowski, mobipus or one of the beefed up vesc 6 controllers but Ive just found out about Vasili's 12f Nucular controller which seems like a really good fit.
Rear on this frame is 150mm

Drunkskunk said:
That thing is seriously awesome. Any plans to make a few and sell them?

Thanks. Not really at this stage. If I do it will be a lot simpler that what Ive got currently, the jack shaft block in particular is a pain in the ass to machine

The controller will be the limiting factor for a long while

I've looked at this myself: http://teamtriforceuk.com/a200s-v2-1/
Nice power in a small package, VESC.

Maybe also a Kelly high speed option controller could work (even though i have blown too many kellys to really recommend them.)

Is BEMF sine or trap-shaped?

EDIT: It's sine! https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48580

Grantmac said:
Regen for brakes or keeping the disc too?
Im mounting the sprocket to where the disk would be mounted on the hub so will have to rely on regen or just the front brake

larsb said:
I've looked at this myself: http://teamtriforceuk.com/a200s-v2-1/
Nice power in a small package, VESC.
Maybe also a Kelly high speed option controller could work (even though i have blown too many kellys to really recommend them.)
Is BEMF sine or trap-shaped?
EDIT: It's sine! https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48580

I had seen that one along with the BESC. The problem with the a200 is its limited to 16s and I was hoping to go up to 20s altho I havent decided if thats the best idea, 16s might be easier to work with.
Id rather not go to a kelly, theyre rather big for what they are. Id like to try a mobipus but I have no idea what erpm they go up to.
This motor in WYE should be around 33mOhm, 54microH and 86.5kv which (I think) is 62,300erpm (based on 10 pole pairs and 72v pack) And yes, quite a nice sine wave :D

Regen only could be very elegant if the chain routing doesn't cause weird suspension loads and you come up with a good way to modulate it.

Thats one thing that Im not too sure on actually. I had planned this routing initially
Chainline2.PNG

But like you mentioned it wont really work with regen. Because both sides of the chain are above the pivot point of the swing arm when the suspension compresses both sides of the chain will shorten and therefore need a chain tensioner that is capable of taking a lot of slack.
The routing below fixes that issue because when the chain on the top shortens the bottom lengthens removing the need for a chain tensioner. The problem with it is theres almost nothing to to mount the lower idler on, the wrap on the drive sprocket isnt great. Not to mention that it looks a bit weird

Feist92 said:
I had seen that one along with the BESC. The problem with the a200 is its limited to 16s and I was hoping to go up to 20s altho I havent decided if thats the best idea, 16s might be easier to work with.
Id rather not go to a kelly, theyre rather big for what they are. Id like to try a mobipus but I have no idea what erpm they go up to.
This motor in delta should be around 33mOhm, 54microH and 86.5kv which (I think) is 62,300erpm (based on 10 pole pairs and 72v pack) And yes, quite a nice sine wave :D

I think with 10 pole pairs, kV 150 and noload consumption of 250-300W at 14s you'd get quite high eddy losses at 20S. It'd be higher than hobbykings speced rpm by a lot.. "To have flying magnets or not to have" as shakespeare would've said :D

What about relocating the jackshaft to the front of the downtube inline with the pivot? Yes it would require a rework but you should be able to put batteries in the frame then.

larsb said:
I think with 10 pole pairs, kV 150 and noload consumption of 250-300W at 14s you'd get quite high eddy losses at 20S. It'd be higher than hobbykings speced rpm by a lot.. "To have flying magnets or not to have" as shakespeare would've said :D
Youre probably right. I think Ill be sensible for now, Ive got a couple of 16s4p packs which I should make use of anyway.
Grantmac said:
What about relocating the jackshaft to the front of the downtube inline with the pivot? Yes it would require a rework but you should be able to put batteries in the frame then.
Im way past the point of no return, that and its the only way to route the chain, the swing arm gets in the way of every possible good chain line.

Back