Toy car batttery replacement

styczoo

1 mW
Hello! I need to replace battery on Ford Ranger toy car. Like that one https://www.beneoshop.com/electric-ride-on-toy-car-ford-ranger-wildtrak-4x4-lcd-luxury-lcd-screen-2-4ghz-2x12v-4-x-motor-remote-control-two-seats-in-leather-soft-eva-wheels-fm-radio-bluetooth-black.html. Ther are 2x 7ah 12v lead acid batteries. 4 electric brush motors, radio controll, slow start. I want overvolt it a bit and install 4s 16.8v or 5s 18.5 battery. Ni-mh or li-ion. Will it work? Will I have problems with electronic radio controll? Mp3 radio? Should I install converter 18.5 -> 12 for that?
Thanks!

I'm assuming the two batteries are in parallel and delivering 12 volts nominal?

5s would give you over 20 volts when fully charged. The most I'd go would be 4s. But even that would be 16.8 fully charged - a good 2 volts over what the electronics are expecting to see (14v or so max). Others would have a better idea if the electronics are likely to be happy with that. I don't think it should bother the motors any though.

Were it me, depending on the total amps you need to draw, I'd seriously consider using a converter. I've been using one on my e-bike for many thousand of mile pretty successfully. I did blow one out, but the best theory was that was due to bad thing happening when a power connector wasn't fully engaged/seated.

I'd probably look for some of those 10s "hoverboard" packs (that's what I'm using on my ebike) and this converter or something like it.
https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Efficiency-Voltage-Converter-Transformer/dp/B07KPMYW9V/ref=sr_1_22_sspa?keywords=buck+converter&qid=1560660329&s=gateway&sr=8-22-spons&psc=1

There's a 20a and a 30a version. Either of both of them should deliver more amps than what the two 7ah lead acid batteries are being asked to deliver. But you should check the motor rating to be sure.

Just one 36v 4.4 ah hoverboard pack stores more usable power than the two 7ah lead acid batteries which probably don't deliver anywhere near 14ah of power under a heavy load. I think these are pretty similar in size to a 7ah lead acid batter. Use two in parallel and the packs will last longer and provide lots of use compared to the lead acid batteries. Oh, and you'd have to get a new charger for the 36 volt batteries as well and possibly have to wired in a new 36v charging port. Of course, short term, it would be lots cheaper to just replace the two lead acid batteries with two more. This kind of conversion only makes sense if you expect to get a LOT of use out of the toy ... or you just want to fiddle.

Back