Electric Outboard Conversion

Fifth Horseman

100 µW
Just finished this little project I have been working on. My original engine on my 1957 Johnson sea horse went bad, but I did not want to get rid of a clean classic, so I replaced the motor with a 60v BLDC Motor. I am very happy with its performance so far but it is still not quite complete. I'm currently using power tool batteries run in series to power it as i have not had a chance to come up with a strategy for a battery and a charger.

Let me know what you guys think, I like tinkering with projects and even if this never gets much use it, I had a lot of fun making this toy.

Front Overview.jpg
Motor LCD.jpg
Side View.jpg
Throttle.jpg
Rear View.jpg
Interior Motor View.jpg
Flexible Shaft Coupler.jpg

Looks awesome! Make sure everything is sealed up well, water, and sea water in particular has a knack for find its way into places.

john61ct said:
Fantastic.

Did you take step-by-step notes as you proceeded?

If by step by step notes you mean did i commit it to my brain, then yes i did. The painting was easily the worst part.

Hoping you could share.

Or are you planning to charge for an e-book or something?

john61ct said:
Hoping you could share.

Or are you planning to charge for an e-book or something?

No i would never charge for something like that, ive been busy this weekend ill see if make something up soon. Unfortunately im probably not as good as some people at making guides but ill try.

Seconded on the seawater protection - that stuff will kill all your electronics easily if you aren’t careful. Seal it, test the seal, take it out for a spin, then test the seal again. Maybe even install some sort of drain plug to use regularly if you’re confident you can do that without introducing another potential leak.

Back