Is it possible: 2 Wheel skateboard w/image

laithe66

1 µW
Okay so I'm having a debate with my friend whether a design like this would work, he seems to think it won't turn and Im saying it should ride great. Will it ride like a OneWheel or a roller skate? What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

eboard_by_mbx1_dddxi4t-fullview.jpg

Well, the one wheel turns very sharply so wouldn't something like this turn in a similar manner?

The wheels need to follow the curve somehow when you lean it to turn, unless one or both of your wheels are constantly sliding (drift board).

For sure COULD turn if has a steering mechanism. In the pic at top the wheels don’t even look connected but if an axle went through and were then connected to bushings like on a skateboard would work. The axle would have to come out and then loop around.

Surprisingly enough I have seen a handful of the one wheel self balancing units like the YT link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Xeif3G02s

The rest of the YT Vids are inline 2 wheel skateboards electrified.

[youtube]stcNTUld6KE[/youtube]

[youtube]I_5XnID92lw[/youtube]

[youtube]BCkSIQPVP58[/youtube]

laithe66 said:
Okay so I'm having a debate with my friend whether a design like this would work, he seems to think it won't turn and Im saying it should ride great.

If you lean that thing over, it will turn. How sharply it will turn is a function of wheelbase length and the qualities of the tires. Bikes turn by camber steering when at speed, and not by pointing the front wheel in the direction of the turn. This board should turn the same way, though it will certainly be harder to control than a bike.

Balmorhea said:
laithe66 said:
Okay so I'm having a debate with my friend whether a design like this would work, he seems to think it won't turn and Im saying it should ride great.

If you lean that thing over, it will turn. How sharply it will turn is a function of wheelbase length and the qualities of the tires. Bikes turn by camber steering when at speed, and not by pointing the front wheel in the direction of the turn. This board should turn the same way, though it will certainly be harder to control than a bike.

Not in this dimension of physics. That's not how a bicycle works. If both wheels are locked on the 2 wheel board, it won't turn and would be unrideable.

John in CR said:
Balmorhea said:
If you lean that thing over, it will turn. How sharply it will turn is a function of wheelbase length and the qualities of the tires.

Not in this dimension of physics. That's not how a bicycle works. If both wheels are locked on the 2 wheel board, it won't turn and would be unrideable.

It may or may not be rideable, but it will turn. When it's leaned over, the inside of the contact patches are at a smaller radius than the outsides. Since they're both rotating at the same RPM, the thing has to turn if it's leaning while rolling. Any rolling disc will turn in the direction that it leans. It doesn't matter if the wheels are locked in the same orientation. If they lean together, they'll turn together.

this has independent wheels but if all these wheels were one fat roller with similarly coned ends maybe it would roll the same. have to be higher off the ground with the big roller but think would be possible to control it and ride it.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    46 KB · Views: 2,869
Come on guys. 2 inline wheels on fixed parallel axles won't turn. Period. With 2 wheels the tires will scrub a bit due to the different circumferences in contact with the ground, but it will still move in a straight line. The skateboard above with 7 wheels on each arched axle is a perfect example of what it takes to turn, because those archs are not parallel. It's quite easy to see in the pick that the 2 leftmost wheels are not inline, which enables it to turn when the board leans.

Here is working prototype of 2 wheel skateboard, both front and rear wheels turn when you lean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFX__1b7xxw

I'd like to see you put a motor on it.

svitrak said:
Here is working prototype of 2 wheel skateboard, both front and rear wheels turn when you lean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFX__1b7xxw

markz said:
I'd like to see you put a motor on it.

svitrak said:

Ooh! Ooh! Put it on the front wheel! Please please please?

And post video.

Actually, either wheel is fine. Or both. But don't forget to post video.

Back