Run a sewing machine off an Ebike??

Hey everyone,
I know this girl. Who wishes to convert her bicycle. To help her carry her sewing machine and supplies. And wishes it be able to run her sewing machine off her Ebike battery.

I know how to buy a kit and install on a bike.
But the sewing machine I really have no idea about. Any tips?

Thanks!

An inverter of appropriate capacity and input voltage would do the trick.

48V inverters are fairly common for solar setups, and readily available.

Also, most sewing machines run universal motors, so you can power them from DC directly.

Most sewing machines have some kind of speed control. Depending on how the speed control works, it may or may not work properly from an inverter or straight DC. An inverter with sine wave output would work with all types. You can check the label on the sewing machine motor to get an idea for the power requirements. My sewing machine is under 200W, so even a very small inverter can run it.

I have a reciprocating saw I used straight off a 48v battery. The speed control didn't work except full speed or nothing. That was OK as the saw ran about half the normal speed compared to 120vac. It totally did the job so I was happy.

Pure sine wave inverter for sure.

Size high enough to handle high power surge draw at startup, can be many times the running watts.

Good quality at 48V won't be cheap, a grand or more easy, but will last well over a decade.

Cheap Chinese stuff, oversize a lot more and expect to replace regularly. But sometimes we get lucky :cool:

fechter said:
Most sewing machines have some kind of speed control. Depending on how the speed control works, it may or may not work properly from an inverter or straight DC.
The few foot controls I've run across from *old* (1980s, and much earlier) sewing machines are basically a wirewound resistor that the pedal moves the tap contact across; they don't handle much current (an amp or two). I've used one to control my decades-old Dremel (whose strip-resistor speed control is worn out).

Dunno about the newer stuff.

I do know that at least one fancy sewing machine I fixed for someone, made this century sometime, has it's electronics powered by a transformer type power supply (not an SMPS) inside the machine, so it *won't* run on DC. :(

There are battery powered sewing machines, big and small.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Heavy-Types-Leather-Step-Strong-Machine-Sewing-Duty-Fabrics-Even-Buttonhole-11-Motor-Ease-Built-in-Perfect-Stitches-4-4411/17167240

john61ct said:
Good quality at 48V won't be cheap, a grand or more easy, but will last well over a decade.

These Mean Well units come in at $400 and a bit below. Surge power is twice the rated power. Not cheap, but well under $1000.

https://www.alliedelec.com/power-products/inverter-dc-ac-power-supplies-/?category=2%7C2510413%2F2828521&n8643=42-60%20VDC%2C42.6-60%20VDC

This 200 watt unit comes in at only $100 and may be adequate. I think most sewing machines use less than 200 watts and this unit will allow a surge of 400 watts.

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/TS-200-148A.shtml

For a 36v battery, this 300 watt unit might work. No info on the surge capacity. This is a U.S. company, but I'm not sure where the unit is actually made.

https://www.bixpower.com/product-p/das36300.htm

Did not know MW made them, thanks.

Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude. Magnum is the best, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey. Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground. I've heard Morningstar is good.

I have a 300W Meanwell sine wave inverter that runs off my 52v bike battery. Works great.

Good to know.

OP for sizing, be sure to buy from a source with easy return policy, and promptly test the actual startup draw, various scenarios, e.g. heaviest fabric.

There are slow-start cap add-ons, but cheaper / simpler to right-size in the first place.

Hey Just wanted to extend my thanks to everyone who gave some info here, i didnt realize that it wasn't automatic that endless sphere didn't notify one of replies and i just never knew anyone replied! Noobie mistake! but ya thanks alot, happy to see so many experienced ES'ers giving their feedback!

Back