Solar challenge lead car burns

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
..The leading solar car competing in the World Solar Challenge has burst into flames, forcing the team out of the race for the first time in 20 years.
Key points:
The Vattenfall solar car caught alight just south of Port Augusta
The solar car was this morning leading the World Solar Challenge
The team has shared its devastation on social media but said the driver was safe
uy9fgB.png

https://apple.news/AuNfVrgTDTY243sZGBqOJ4w

There was another car who had a fire too - they were able to jettison the pack so it didn't burn the remainder of the vehicle. Wise strategy.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
......? What causes the fires?
I have not seen any details, but i suspect the primary cause is related to the over confidence and lack of experience in these student groups, amplified by the pressure of involvement in an international competition under the view of world media. They are pushing technology, components, and their abilities and experience, to the limits.
In these experimental, electrical competition vehicles, the root cause could be anything from a simple overheated seized bearing or motor, a wiring short/fault, or as may be suspected, a battery fault. ...combined with the obvious use of highly flamable, lightweight construction materials ( plastics , resins, alloys, etc)

Hummina Shadeeba said:
These guys design the whole thing wonderfully but can’t figure how not to catch on fire? What causes the fires?
Rapidly designed (or missing) BMSes. Pushing charge voltages. Mechanical damage to the packs. Too-fast charges and discharges. The usual.

Welp.. :kff: So much for zero carbon emissions. :mrgreen: :bigthumb: Just glad to here there were no injuries.

Newer rules allow 20kgs of ion cells and no limit on watt hours or voltage and it’s whatever u can jam in. A voltage limit wouldn’t be hard to implement and oversee.

They ride 8am to 5pm only and then will prop cars on an angle to get the remaining sun for use the next morning.

If I were in the race I’d likely blow up too

Yes speculating on unknown cause. if I were in it to win I’d be pumping higher voltage in and pushing the limits there and my guess is they’re doing the same. They could all be getting bad bms or punching holes in lipos but seems unlikely to be a repeat cause. 44 pounds of ion cells if decent high power cells I think should be good with a high charge rate within the typical voltage range. Maybe they’re not using high power cells n that’s the cause. I doubt braking is causing fires as it’s a short time period and they probably aren’t trying to waste speed and energy slamming on brakes.

Why u say low voltages don’t stop fires? My overcharging and the heat produced makes me think maybe possible to cause a fire if especially charging and discharging at that higher voltage range. Do u have a guess as to why so many catch fire or know why?

Back