Electric snowblower conversion: Gas powered Yamaha to 5kW electric

ENNOID

100 W
Here is a small video showing my old Yamaha YS828 snowblower converted to approx. 5kW lithium-ion electric:

[youtube]9-EcJlglOXA[/youtube]

Main parts used for conversion:
- Removable ENNOID 12S10P battery pack integrated with my ENNOID-BMS-SS-15 board for battery monitoring, charging & balancing.
- Denzel D4500 motor
- ENNOID version of VESC 6 controller
- Separate small PWM driven dc motor for driving the tracks.

Nice thing is that the overall user experience is still unchanged. The original handles on right & left side are still operational. Whole thing got a bit lighter being electric & should be more powerful as well.

I think many similar gasoline snowblower could be easily converted that way... No more fumes & more silent.

Thank you very much for sharing your work on electrifying your Yamaha snow blower. I am looking to do the same thing with a Honda snow blower. Curious how long does the battery last? How well did it work this past winter?
Thank you

Battery is approx 1kWh with 120 x 2350mAh lithium-ion cells in 12S10P config.
More than enough for most driveways. Snowblower consume much less power than I previously thought...

My driveway is approx 100' long x 20' wide. A single charge is normally enough with less than 15cm of fresh snow. I have two of those homemade batteries in case of very large snowfalls.

Just wanted to say nice conversion. I'd love to convert a snowblower to electric someday.

Super cool! I was just looking today for some insight on doing my own conversion. This is more elegant than some I've seen, and gives me some component ideas. Thanks!

Thanks.

I have upgraded the battery with my own ENNOID-BMS-SS boards since. I know that DieBieMS are now very hard to get and also have some issues (both hardware & software) that have now been fixed with my own version of the BMS.

I'm selling these BMS on my website.
Battery kits will follow this year as well.

It looks pretty good, that's the first one I see with a separate drive motor.
Do you have more details/pictures on how you installed it ?

My parents have the same snowblower that start to have some issues, a conversion would be great for them.

Great video my grandpa got some issues with his old Yamaha I was about to buy a new one (something like this), but at his age, it is too difficult to get used to new stuff. I came across your video and voila it helped! No problems anymore, thank you.

Back