Ultimate Electric Solo Boat

For years I've been working on the ultimate Electric Solo Boat.

At first I thought it should be light enough to put on top of the car . . . and once on the ground the motors, battery, controls, and seat would be added. That proved too cumbersome and the connections too expensive. It would also require space in the vehicle for all of the components.

The boat should be long enough to track in the wind but short enough to turn and spin within its own length for agile fishing and photography.

At one time I had a trolling motor attached to cables and foot pedals for foot steering. I removed the twist handle control and mounted it to the side of the seat. Push forward on left foot to turn right; twist left hand right to go forward, twist left for reverse . . . while casting with right hand. Almost immediately, I realized I wasn't that coordinated.

Three years later, I have changed all of that!

Stream Dancer is a handsfree electric powered personal watercraft controlled solely by your feet that operates in 6 inches of water without harming fragile underwater environments.

Stream Dancer comes in 3 sections that stack and nest together in a compact package that goes easily into the back of a pickup truck, SUV, or minivan. Once on the ground, simply slide the bow and stern onto the midsection; attach the wheels, and roll it to the water's edge.

She uses two trolling motors, each fixed on either side of the centerline of the boat. Each motor is attached to an auger instead of a prop. Augers work well at speeds less that 9 knots, provide instant starts and quick turns, and work equally well in forward and reverse. The boat is trihull with inverted u-shaped tunnels between the hulls. The augers are recessed in the tunnels allowing full propulsion anywhere the boat can float.

On the top side, the floor is higher than the waterline allowing supper holes to disperse any water coming in over the side . . . allowing use in the surf and rough river waters. Sliding foot controls control each of the motors. Push forward on one heel and that side of the boat moves forward with incresing speed. Steer by appling faster speed on one side than the other. Pull back to apply increasing reverse speeds. Push on one heel while pulling back on the other and the boat spins like a top in its own length.

Flip the seat back forward and up pops a higher casting seat that can used while continuing use of the foot controls without adjustment.

This concept took first place in the Int'l Concept Boat Design Competition in January 2008 at the London Boat Show.

You can see it in action at www.streamdancer.com

Though the patent is complete, I'm having trouble finding a manufacturer to produce the boat.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John Zimmerlee
Stream Dancer

Please do tell about your controls for the motors. Nice looking in the video.

Kudos! It is your type that made America great in the first place.

I read your description, then went and looked at what venerable Hobie cat sells....I recall when they were new and cutting edge-keen.
Your machine is miles and decades ahead. Hobie's machine seems suck in the sandbar. :)
That, or they are are still watching an old TV series called "Flipper, Flipper, faster than frightening" (jk).

You have the great invention. Become a manufacturer OR sell out at a great loss, even to Hobie;
In scenario two, you've got the blue ribbon, just not the bucks.
In scenario one, you don't risk your health or financial egg, old sport.

Super super, congratulations. I think of you as I would of a a Mr. Evenrude or Johnson....

Reid,
remembering when Ron Jon was new and the only East Coast surf shop: they took chances too.

EDIT: I just visited http://www.streamdancer.com/. The site and presentation are outstanding quality.
Somehow get into the manf. process yourself, even if you have to hire young, smart blood.
You sit in the office and overview production problems. YOU have the voice and the believability to sell these machines outright.
YOU can get completely disinterested parties to endorse YOUR invention. Then sell out for millions ASAP and look back at perhaps
the most wonderful private fisherman product ever invented. It's awesome!

any remaining typos are the fault of my very sucky eyesight; not any oversight.

I was thinking about this for a boat, and making an small electric version of the outboard in the picture. Does anybody know what this type of outboard is called?

Bubba

draft_lens3177082module19973092photo_1236772650a_Untitled-27_Boat_.jpg

dontsendbubbamail said:
Does anybody know what this type of outboard is called?
Ugly as sin? ("long tail" is the generic term I believe...)

Hehe... anyway... John! Yer stream dancer... very cool! 8)

The "worm drive"... fascinating! Curious to know what are the factors that determine optimum length for the "screws"?

Have you approached companies that already mfg kayak models? Ya OK just taking royalties?

tks
LoC

dontsendbubbamail said:
Does anybody know what this type of outboard is called?
"Git 'er Done."

That sundancer boat is really cool.

The foot pedal control is well done with the heel toe action.

The Rio Grande runs through Albuquerque. I love
taking the dogs there and letting them swim and chase sticks.
It is really shallow before the spring runnoff and dam releases...

A wide bodied boat like that with enough power/batteries to run upstream 10 miles
would be killer!!! Right now, there is about 5 mph current and the water
is high...something that would fight that upstream would kick butt!

My ultimate commute would be taking an electric trike with a boat trailer
to the river, then plop the boat in the water, load the trike and power upstream 5 miles...
then continue the remaining 5 miles to work on the trike towing the boat!!!
it would be the trick setup. Coming back home would be faster downstream... 8)

I don't know about solo boats, but my ultimate boat would be:

1. 22 foot by about 4.5 foot wide with multiple power systems with seating for 4 to 6 people.
2. A jet boat system like on this surf board. http://www.powerski.com/content/psi_index.php The jet drive doesn't have a lot of stuff hanging in the water to cause drag. This would allow you to put in at the main body of a lake and get to the back waters fast. I have two large lakes near me.
3. Sliding seat and oars for quite operation + good exercise. The oars are 9 feet long, so the waterway needs to be at least 18+ foot wide.
4. Electric power for when the water way gets too narrow for the oars.

So far I have a sliding seat rowing mechanism in a 18 foot canoe plus a electric trolling motor. One of these days I am going to get around to building a boat with the jet drive and other drive mechanisms.

Bubba

Back