bbs02 stops working when cold

travisraw

1 µW
I am a new to ebike world. Built my first using a bbs02b with 48v hailong 13ah battery. 850c display on an old ccm 29er frame.
everything was perfect for first 100k. Now as soon as bike is cold. -7 c or so the throttle and the pas stop. as soon as i walk my bike home and it warms up it works perfect again? Please can some one offer me guidance?

I am a new to ebike world. Built my first using a bbs02b with 48v hailong 13ah battery. 850c display on an old ccm 29er frame.
everything was perfect for first 100k. Now as soon as bike is cold. -7 c or so the throttle and the pas stop. as soon as i walk my bike home and it warms up it works perfect again? Please can some one offer me guidance?

Does the BMS control a LOWTEMP shutoff? Many will stop power on very low temps.

RTFM?

are you kidding me?
whatever ebike drive cut off at minus7C outside?
my ebike drive EPLUS works normally in minus 17C winter with no problems.
battery made of Nissan Leaf cells 11S do not suffer any damage at minus7C for sure.
hailong cells suffer at minus 7C ???!!!

Since this is not likely to be a hardware fault, you could spend a few hours researching the BMS and controller you purchased, or go very carefully through all user-available settings for each and look for a temp cutoff you can modify.

Also you could look carefully for a temp sensor, they are pretty standard and easy to identify. Then, you can find out what happens if you simply disable it, if that fails then either rig a small heat source or a way to spoof it. Possibly as simple as replacing with a differently-calibrated sensor.

Some component on his system apparently does.

Could be significant battery IR increase due to cold. Battery voltage drops under load. Either BMS or controller cuts out due to LVC. No problems with IR when battery temperature increases.

Back