Legal classification of my custom build - Quadricycle? ATV? Wheelchair? All?

skyeg3

10 W
Hey all. I have built a custom vehicle that doesn't really fit into one legal category. I'm looking for help finding the laws regarding this. It is a pure electric full suspension vehicle with a perm 132. It is very fast but we've installed a speed dial so we can dial the power back. I think this would qualify as a quadricycle as I have a disability (quadriplegic) and if we set it to have no more than 2hp and 30mph top speed. Also I think there is an argument to be made that this is a wheelchair and would therefor be allowed on hiking trails. Also I'm sure this is also an ATV. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in Advance.

green.JPG
creek.JPG

you have to check your own local laws.

if it's a mobility device, you must follow the specific sections for those devices, and follow all those limitations (usually 4 to 8mph max, sometimes there are size restrictions, or diameter of wheels, etc). if it does not match the specifics of the definitions of your local laws for a mobility device, then it isn't one, legally.

if it's an atv, then you must fullow the specific sections for those, and again, if it doesn't match, it isn't one.

but it's up to you to look up your own local laws.

your ride can only be one kind of transport, legally, in any of the laws i've poked thru of various states in the usa. so you must pick what you want it to be, and then match those specific laws.

if you want to have more than one kind of transport, you would have to build different versions that each match their own legal classification definitions, and register each (if they require it) as necessary.

if you don't care about the legal status or classifcations, etc., then you can do whatever you want until someone objects and law enforcement gets involved. ;)

skyeg3 said:
Hey all. I have built a custom vehicle that doesn't really fit into one legal category. I'm looking for help finding the laws regarding this. It is a pure electric full suspension vehicle with a perm 132. It is very fast but we've installed a speed dial so we can dial the power back. I think this would qualify as a quadricycle as I have a disability (quadriplegic) and if we set it to have no more than 2hp and 30mph top speed. Also I think there is an argument to be made that this is a wheelchair and would therefor be allowed on hiking trails. Also I'm sure this is also an ATV. Interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks in Advance.

green.JPG
creek.JPG
As said before, it depends on where you live. I suggest looking up your local statutes.

In Arizona, you could possibly argue that this is a motorized wheelchair, but that allows you to use it on sidewalks and multi-use paths and, not streets or bike lanes/paths. And while there is no clarity on maximum speed, if you used it anywhere near your 30 mph top speed on sidewalks or bikepaths, you'd probably find your self disputing the legality of how you are using it in court just on the common sense basis that such speeds don't make sense on sidewalks and multi-use paths.

You probably can't call it an ATV in AZ since I don't see brake lights, mirror etc. You also could not call it an electric bicycle or a personal mobility device in AZ. You might be able to call it a neighborhood electrical vehicle if it meets certain Federal motor safety standards. If you want the maximum flexibility for legal definitions in AZ, you need to limit the device to two or three wheels and less than 1hp or 750 watts. Doing that usually gives you lots of legal wiggle room compared to building a four wheeled vehicle. That seems pretty typical for most U.S. jurisdictions, but there are definitely many exceptions - which leads us back to the original point. It depends on where you live and/or intend to operate it.

wturber said:
If you want the maximum flexibility for legal definitions in AZ, you need to limit the device to two or three wheels
fwiw, this is often stated as "a maximum of three wheels in contact with the ground", meaning things like training wheels turning a two wheeled bike into four doesn't count because only three of them can be on the ground at once.

you can also add outrigger wheels on the front of a delta trike or the rear of a tadpole, that, like training wheels, are raised a bit above the ground, and only one can touch the ground at a time, and to do that the diametrically opposed regular wheel would have to lift off the ground, so there'd still only be three "in contact with the ground". ;)

so if you need the stability of four wheels in turns, this is an option wherever the above definition wording is used, for bicycle-class transport.

Hi Sky,
C'mon it's an ATV if you want to run it without interrogations, enjoy the ATV trails.
Or, do your thing and maybe get a ticket, from who knows the DEP Officer?
Then write a nice polite informative letter to the judge go to their court, it's America.
It's a just a ticket. A violation of some obscure regulation or even just some rule and therefore not a violation.

However if I were your brother, I would go riding with you because bad things can happen to good people.
I'm not keen on riding any little thing, 2, 3 or 4 wheels, costing BIG $$,$$$.00 into the big woods you know like ...
" Stick 'em up ! "

Good Luck you have a beautiful machine, enjoy.
Mike

Oof, some of these comments...

OP, you need to either talk to a judge or a disability lawyer than an internet forum. To them, weight and size will need to be considered than just top speed- you are laying in the picture, and there's tons of elevators I know you can't go into with it. Look at it as you're breaking up a boring day for them with a 20MPH+ custom wheelchair. If you describe that you built it to partially replace a car, they might be *very* lenient for your sakes.

Stealth_Chopper said:
It's a just a ticket. A violation of some obscure regulation or even just some rule and therefore not a violation.

Be careful. You need to know and understand the local laws. In AZ you might find yourself facing pretty big fines for driving an unregistered, uninsured vehicle. That could be far worse than a typical traffic violation.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Oof, some of these comments...

OP, you need to either talk to a judge or a disability lawyer than an internet forum. To them, weight and size will need to be considered than just top speed- you are laying in the picture, and there's tons of elevators I know you can't go into with it. Look at it as you're breaking up a boring day for them with a 20MPH+ custom wheelchair. If you describe that you built it to partially replace a car, they might be *very* lenient for your sakes.

Exactly. Understand the pertinent laws and interpretations. That why John16's first comment was so appropriate.

And depending on jurisdiction, weight and size may or may not be significant factors. So that portion of your post falls in the "Oof" category. But it probably doesn't matter. The OP never followed up on any of the posts or gave his location.

If you take a serious attitude that it's a mobility device and have an even remotely legitimate mobility-related complaint probably up to and maybe including "I can't walk 60 miles in 2 hours" you should be OK with the law. In fact cop brains will mostly think "dumb ass bicyclist, not worth our time" to start with.

flat tire said:
If you take a serious attitude that it's a mobility device and have an even remotely legitimate mobility-related complaint probably up to and maybe including "I can't walk 60 miles in 2 hours" you should be OK with the law. In fact cop brains will mostly think "dumb ass bicyclist, not worth our time" to start with.

Maybe. But with four wheels I wouldn't count on it. I think most LEO would immediately recognize that as "not a bike." Maybe a handicap placard prominently placed would dissuade them from bothering a rider though?

Just logged in after a long while. Thank you all for the thoughtful responses especially wturber. I've ridden it around a bit in Pacifica, CA and haven't had any issues yet. I've gone right by a cop on the road and he didn't even look twice. I think it is an electric ATV but I am most certainly calling it my personal mobility device when using it on pedestrian trails. As long as I go slow I get mostly thumbs ups especially when they see the disability placard. Here is a link to the latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtjU9l7quk

You think the fuzz will get out their book to look up whatever classification your rig is?
No way, you need to act the part. Take your sweet ass time getting out of your rig, then you need to limp over somewhere to rest because you have a handicap. They cant ask you what that is because thats confidential and doctor patient priveledge but dont go down that road with them. Just say you have a handicap and are disabled, thats all they need to know. They won't want to touch that with a 100 foot pole for a simple violation. Start doing wheelies, whizzing by families and kids at mach 100 and the game changes.

According to this if you haven’t a disability it is covered by the ada, Americans with disabilities act and you can dp pretty much whatever you want

https://youtu.be/vuMg0QwKAGI
About 4:40, you can go anywhere the general publid can go which is pretty much anywhere.

About 4:40 if you are disabled you are covered by the ADA and you can go wherever the General public can go which is pretty much everywhere

https://youtu.be/vuMg0QwKAGI

Hi,

Love your build. Please post a ton more pictures!

As has been said many times, it will vary by region.

Having one cop, or many, ignore it means nothing, you need to research carefully your local laws. An unlawful vehicle on the streets is almost always confiscated, or at least towed to the impound lot. They cannot allow continued operation to drive it home, it is a threat to public safety. Not a judgement call.

A personal mobility device which can mingle with pedestrians is almost always severely restricted in speed available. Sometimes total wheelbase is restricted, I know this is a factor in the size of the platform at the top of a ramp, for instance. Used to work with a quadriplegic who was an ADA expert witness. One specific case the door opened outward onto the platform, and did not leave room for a standard wheelchair. The company had to tear down and rebuild the ramp and platform.

A device used on public streets which is not a bicycle almost always needs front and rear lights, turn signals, and often a horn.

Most places, more than two wheels, and almost all places, more than three, means it is not a bicycle.

It is a neat thing you have built, and appears to be very useful. What laws govern it in your area and where and how you can legally use it is going to be a complex question. The top speed exceeds what is reasonable for your preferred definition.

Top speed available is one of the primary factors in deciding usage cases for vehicles. It relates directly to how much damage it can do to others.

How much you like, want, or need it or how cool it is are not relevant factors.

Back