Wiring Help please.

goldphive

10 mW
Hi everybody,
I am in the midst of my first e-vehicle build and im not sure if ive got this right, im at the assembly stage and am wondering if these components will work together or if i need to get a different style of motor controller.

This is the Motor that i have,
https://www.leafmotor.com/14-inch-36v-750w-front-casted-hub-electric-bike-motor-wheel-p00122p1.html

Here is one type of Motor Controller that i hoped would work,
https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/featured-items/products/torque-esc-bldc-electronic-speed-controller

And here are my Batteries (X2)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-5s-30c-lipo-pack-xt-90.html?queryID=59a2715470eae112d145791b57ffbe62&objectID=69471&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

im concerned that the motor controller that i plan to use will not be enough, i chose it after watching this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJqyWRSqOy4

But this motor controller is meant for an electric longboard,

i am a complete nOOb when it comes to motors and motor controllers. please help

Ok, the first step it helping you it to let us know what type of electric vehicle you are building? Are you building a skateboard? An e-bike? Something else? What are you building?

:D :bolt:

i am building an electric skateboard that has an ebike hub wheel for a motor,IMG_20200301_133835.jpg

that 16" bike wheel is where the motor will be

Ok, so the first issue I see is that your trying to match an e-bike motor with a skateboard esc. The esc you linked says sensored or sensorless, so by the advertizing it should be ok for the project. The motor you linked is a sensored motor, however it may work, sort of, with a sensorless esc. The main issue is smooth startup. Motors that are not sensored have a ruff startup until you get going. However a few pushes to get the board going will go a long way to smoothing it out.

You could run a 36v 500w e-bike controller, but then you might have to have a hard wired throttle. (That motor could take a 1000w controller, but that would make your board so fast as to be extreamly dangerous.) I have never seen an e-bike controlled with a wireless throttle, although it might be possible if the throttle receiver returned .8v to 4.8vv to the controller as a reference signal so the controller knows how fast to go.

The e-bike motor plugs will probably be different from what comes with the esc. Be prepared to change and or replace the plugs around to get the wiring to match up. You will defiantly need to do some experimenting to get this project working well so be ready for setbacks. Just don't quit on the project before you get it running right.

If I were you, I would email the esc company and ask if the motor you chose will work with the esc you have chosen. See what they say before you spend your money.

Also, do your research on RC Lipo safety because it is the type that can catch on fire most easley when abused. It can burn your house down NO JOKE!

Properly handed it is fine, but read all you can on how to charge and store RC Lipo. Things like storing and charging in a fireproof place.

Putting the batteries in a plastic box on the bottom of the board is a bad idea. Plastic will not give enough protection to the batteries from something hitting the bottom of the board. Use a metal box.

Thanks for the quick replies!

im hoping to get the board moving without having to push start it if possible, but i do have all the pieces needed including a 36v 500w ebike controller and a hard wired thumb throttle in case i cant get a wireless remote to work.

as for the RC Lipo batteries, i will not be mounting them on the bottom of the board, they will be on top between the foot straps in a polycarbonate waterproof case. i have some experience with the safe use of RC LiPo batteries, so im not to worried about fire hazards, but thank you for the warning :flame: :shock: :D

I feel comfortable enough in my soldering skills that i shouldnt have any issue swapping any connectors that i may have to change.

thanks for your help! i will keep posting my build progress in this thread if anybody is interested in how it turns out, hopefully a moderator can help me with moving this post to a build thread

Ok, sound like progress.

As for the e-bike controller and throttle, it goes like this.

The e-bike throttle has a 5v+ wire a ground wire and a return wire. The controller sends a 5v to the throttle 5v wire (usually red). And a return voltage is then returned to the controller via the white (useally white) return wire. Black is the common ground.

So when the controller and throttle are properly connected, but the throttle is off, the hall sensor in the throttle returns a less then 1v+ voltage, like .8v or something, even though it is being fed 5v. But when the throttle is used the return voltage increases. Usually up to something just under 5v When WOT. Like 4.8v. (When some controllers see 5v or more they shut the bike down as an over-voltage short circuit protection.) If you want to use an e-bike controller with your remote throttle, your job is to see if the wireless throttle can deliver the same voltages so the controller thinks it is a normal e-bike throttle.

As far as a smooth start, you will need to use the Hall sensors in the motor. Going sensorless will make for a ruff start.

Thank you for all the great info!

here is the wireless controller that i would like to use.

https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/electric-skateboard-starter-collection/products/torqueboards-2-4ghz-nano-remote-controller

if it wont work then i will use the hard wired thumb throttle.

There is info here on ES on how to get a wireless throttle (RC throttle) from a regular ebike controller.
I remember reading ppl using Xbox wireless game pads/controllers (with the buttons and joystick).
RC ESC's are made for high rpms (??erpms??)
While ebike motors are not high rpm at all. Technical stuff I dont follow, back emf blah blah blah.

Search here on ES terms like
"wireless throttle" + "ebike controller"
or "+5V throttle wireless"

Getting luke warm - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31768&p=460741&hilit=wireless+throttle+playstation#p460741

you get the idea

The problem with ebike controllers is that they are large, unlike ESC's.
Grintech sells a small controller, but its expensive and used in high power applications but surely could be used for 500W.

IT WORKS!!!

seeing as i am laid off for the foreseeable future due to covid-19, ive spent all week on my ebike/esk8 whatever you want to consider it as. it is basically and esk8 with an ebike motor in my opinion, here is a photo.

IMG_20200403_154119.jpg

Now i'm no electrician, and this is my first ever build so im hoping i did everything right. here is a wiring diagram of how my board is set up currently, please tell me if you see anything wrong. i dont want it to blow up on me!

Attachments

• Scorpion Board.pdf
    798.4 KB · Views: 38
file.php

I don't fully understand the reasons for doing so, but I know that generally it is considered wise with packs connected in series to add diodes. I think the simple explanation is if one pack trips, the current drawn by the load from the other pack can still flow the circuit and that prevents damage to battery pack that tripped.

Andrew

goldphive said:
IT WORKS!!! .......

Nice job. The wiring diagram look fine to me.

Back