2020 Honda Clarity ... 30a+ level 2 (240v) home charge recommendations?

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Hello all!

I have finally realized my dream of owning an (almost!) electric car!

Now I need to make sure I get a good level 2 home charge station.

Amazon has several from $300 - $600, I don't want something low quality or poorly supported, but if possible I'd like to stay towards the $300 or less range (I had a line on a $89 one built by Charge Point, but that company seems to have closed up shop, and I am currently recovering my money through PayPal)

I understand that the actual charger is on-board, and that I am just giving it a good high power 240v 32a+ supply.

I have the good fortune to have a landlady that has a Nema 6-50R 50 anp 240v outlet available (confirming the breaker is set-up correctly as we speak with a good 50a+ breaker) that was set-up to power a welding machine.

Honda recommends a 32 amp power source, so now I just need to know what charging station to buy!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

FYI, I have a 150 amp panel in the house, and it appears that the Nema 6-50 outlet is tied in with either the range (40a) or the furnace (60a)

not quite sure what you need.

if you just need an ac source for the onboard charger, i don't know that need a charging station. you would just need a properly wired and breakered outlet for whatever cord it's outlet has.

if it doens't have a cord but just a socket for an external cord, then you would also need the cord that goes from that to your outlet.

if the onboard charger can't take household ac input, and requires something special, then you'd need a charging station that converts from one to the other.

if the onboard charger does take household ac input, but requires handshaking between the charger and the ac source to tell it to start charging, then you'd need a charging station that does that specific handshaking.

if you are using a shared circuit for high current charging that also runs other high current devices (range, furnace, dryer, etc), you would need to be sure you're not using those at the same time, or the breaker may pop and stop both of them. ;)

it's probably safer to add a circuit specificaly for the ev charging.

Yes you're right, I don't know the technical details, but these "charging stations" are nothing more than a very specialized power source with a heavy-duty breaker involved, and after more investigation, the outlet I am using was done properly, it has it's own dedicated 60a breaker on a 240v line that was installed to power a welding machine.

I was just looking for recommended power stations on the market as there is quite a lot of difference in prices of what is offered, and even the ones that appear to be "high end" have some trouble, so it seems to be as much about how well supported the product is as much as anything.

I decided to try out this one on Amazon, it seems to have worked well for other Clarity owners, so I think it's a safe bet and it's not too expensive, and it rated higher than the 32a I will be using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TG8QRWS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back